jpi 450 fuel flow meters

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Victor Gennaro
100+ Posts

jpi 450 fuel flow meters

Post by Victor Gennaro »

Has anyone installed a jpi 450 fuel flow meter on their plane?
I am considering one for my M7 235 O-540. Has anyone had any problems,
difficulty installing one, or any other tips. The product looks simple to use. Are there any other suggestions? Thanks.

Steelroamer
100+ Posts

Post by Steelroamer »

I Installed one in my M6 O-540 last year, went in really easy and is simple to use. The book is a bit of a pain but there are 2 really good videos on U-tube that made it real easy. I cannot get over how accurate it is. It took me a couple of fuel ups to set what they call the "K" factor but even that was simple you just have to be accurate on how much you are putting in.

hope this helps

Roamer
There is no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

It's a good unit, but I would say compare the cost of adding the 450 as a standalone unit to installing an engine monitor with fuel flow. Engine monitor prices have really come down.

Even better, if you already have a JPI engine monitor check the price of upgrading.

Kirk

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

I put a 450 into my M5-235C several years ago and after tinkering with the "K" factor a bit, it is dead on. Helluva lot more accurate than the fuel guages in the panel.

My only regret is that I went cheap and did not install the option when I put the JPI engine monitor in my bird in 2001.

As I have said before about the JPI customer service.....I have no idea about it since I have never had the occasion to contact them due to it being a very reliable instrument.

TD

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

I added the fuel flow to my EDM 700 at last annual. I'm glad that I did. I really like the fuel totalizer feature knowing exactly what has been burned and what is remaining.
Much more accurate than the old stopwatch and pencil method.
I'd say that if you are going to buy an engine monitor then spend the extra up front and get the fuel flow feature from day one.
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

Steelroamer
100+ Posts

Post by Steelroamer »

Rezrider,
my FS450 will give me fuel burned, remaining and I can track total fuel burned if I am going on a long trip. It will also tell me fuel burn to next waypoint and fuel remaining at next waypoint if I had it linked to my GPS (which I don't). It also gives me the option for main tanks and aux. tanks (which I do use) Is that different than what your unit does?

Roamer
There is no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

Steelroamer wrote:Rezrider,
my FS450 will give me fuel burned, remaining and I can track total fuel burned if I am going on a long trip. It will also tell me fuel burn to next waypoint and fuel remaining at next waypoint if I had it linked to my GPS (which I don't). It also gives me the option for main tanks and aux. tanks (which I do use) Is that different than what your unit does?

Roamer
Yip, mine can do most of the same things. I don't have it connected to a GPS source but it came with a wire to add that at a later stage.
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

Victor Gennaro
100+ Posts

jpi 450 fuel flow meters

Post by Victor Gennaro »

Thanks for the thoughts on the jpi 450. It seems to stimulate another question. How much more does one gain by having the more sophisticated engine monitors that have individual cylinder egt and cylinder head temps. I usually stay between 65%-70% power and do not fly lean of peak. My friends that fly engines with gami injectors spend a lot of time focusing lean of peak operation, fuel savings, and focus on the cht and egt. Is that so important in a carb engine like I use? Any thoughts.

SlowFlyer

Post by SlowFlyer »

I have it on the MXT-180 with carb. Works perfect, just a little adjustment on the K factor with a formula they give you and its dead on.

There is a carb parameter you can adjust to keep the fuel flow from fluctuating fast.

I have it linked to the Garmin 430 and it gives you all the information you need... fuel to waypoint, remaining, etc. Install is simple and unit layout is pretty straight forward.
I recommend it.

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

The odds of the cylinder that your CHT is attached being the cylinder that is reaches peak first is 1:6 or 1:4 depending on the engine.

You get far more information for efficient operation and forewarning of something going Tango Uniform with a full monitoring system like a EDM 700, 750, or 850.

I love my EDM-700 which was installed in 2001, makes leaning more precise and alerts me to any funkiness in any cylinder.

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

Victor, the information on individual cylinders will one day pay dividends as you can spot trends of each . Your A&P will thank you by not having to charge you as much to diagnose issues ( valves can be saved if found early)
The best Government, is less Government.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

OK, I don't need all the whistles and bells. I have old EI EGT and CHT units with cylinder selectors. I also have a separate volt/amp gauge but I would like a better fuel indication.

How does the FP-450 unit compare to the FP-5 unit from EI?

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

I have the Insight Gem3 unit it has the fuel flow and is sending data to the Garmin gps. I still have to program that into the Garmin 250 but it is available. I have not made a lot of long trips since it was installed but with the flying I have done I feel I'm able to save close to a 1 gph on fuel flows with the more accurate cht/egt numbers. I have the O-540 so I don't have the efficiency of injection, but by adjusting MP and RPM a can even up the cylinders a good bit.I've found the fuel burns to match up very well with the fuel flow from the Gem less than a gallon difference when I'm careful with my operation. I plan to give it a good work out on the way to sun n fun I'll be able to work a lot of different altitudes and power settings over the 4 hours enroute. Last year I had good tailwinds and did it under 4 but I like to have a good hour of reserve when I get there. Anyway with a know quantity a fuel flow and a watch it can take a lot of the anxiety out of fuel planning. So the short answer is I love my fuel flow meter and engine monitor and It is one of my favorite upgrades.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

OK, I've done a little research and think I will order up a FS-450. Might as well get some hose and fittings for the transducer while I'm at it. Could probably use Aeroquip 303 and the associated fittings. I notice that I currently have the real Lycoming part (LW-12799-6S300). It looks pretty new and could as easily cut it and add a couple of fittings. So here's my question. Without ripping the heat shield sleve off right yet what is the hose, Aeroquip or Stratoflex and what are the proper fittings? Engine is W1A5D so line is pretty long from fuel pump in back to servo up front.

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

Just saw a used 450 come up for sale locally yesterday. Was installed in a Grumman with a fuel pump so it comes with the transducer, etc. They are asking $200. Pm me if interested and I can put y'all in touch (if it doesn't sell in the meantime).
I almost contacted her about it but I'm saving up for a 730 with the FF option.