Alaska Bushwheels

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
beaver

Alaska Bushwheels

Post by beaver »

Just installed 31's on my new Maule M7-260C, I gotta tell you they are the most fun ...... you can't make a bad landing !!! unbelievable, everybody should fly with these.

For Jeremy, used the new M9 axles, re-drilled the brake caliper plates to move the calipers to the front, trimmed the lower corner of the gear, just like the M9 gear leg, the install is super clean.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Did you end up with plenty of clearance from caliper to tyre, and how many 1/8" shims behind the brake rotor.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

beaver

Post by beaver »

clearance seems fine. I didn't use any 1/8" spacers between brake rotor and wheel halves ??? Is that where you are talking about ?

I installed rotors directly on wheel halves, used the M9 axles with no spacers, and installed caliper brackets directly onto axles, I did re-drill the caliper brackets so they are on the front side of the wheels. Currently have 14psi in tires. Should I have done something differently ?

Thanks !

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

If no interference then it is right.
If you get interference then the spacers should take care of it as long as the caliper pins have enough penetration left as the 'wheel side' pucks wear down.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

beaver

Post by beaver »

I'll inspect it again, did I understand correctly about spacers in between the whhel half and the rotor ? As you indicated, normally you would have to move the caliper adapter the same amount or loose some pin engagement.

what tire pressures are you running, does 14 seem OK, for paved or normal grass / loose gravel

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Yes 1/8th or 1/4" between wheel half and rotor. Check pin depth and movement, it will change as fixed pucks wear. 14psi for normal use ok, very important to save wear of tyres to have perfect alignment.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

Jeremy, how much clearance do you think should be between the tire and caliper. Butch
Iceman

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Provided that the caliper is on the front, the Sac Fisdo accepted a credit card clearance in the past, though it would be good to get 1/8th" if you can.
Remember this measurement should ideally be with new brake pads as that is the closest the caliper will get to the tyre, moveing away as the inboard puck wears.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Skystrider
100+ Posts

Post by Skystrider »

Do the 31's change how the Maule handles crosswinds? Better/worse/no change?
1980 Maule M5-180C
Rod Hatcher