Goodyear 26 tires

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Redhawk
100+ Posts

Goodyear 26 tires

Post by Redhawk »

Thinking about installing the larger Goodyear tires on my Maule M4 this winter. I need a project for something to do !
Would anyone be willing to share their field approval paperwork as a basis to show my local FSDO here in Denver for the installation?
Thanks much!

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Which tires, ABW has STC's for all their tire / wheel combinations, 850 goodyears on down ok per TCDS?
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

Redhawk
100+ Posts

Goodyear Tires

Post by Redhawk »

I should have been more specific...
They are the Goodyear 26x10.5-6 tires.

Vtaildriver

Post by Vtaildriver »

Hi Jim,

I am interested in putting a set of 8.50 on my Maule and wanted to make sure that the 8.50 were legal according to the TCDS. Can you point me to the area in the TCDS for the Maule where the 8.50 are listed? .

montana maule
100+ Posts

Post by montana maule »

Chris
The 8.50s are listed in the equipment list in the Airplane Flight Manual.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Vtaildriver wrote:Hi Jim,

I am interested in putting a set of 8.50 on my Maule and wanted to make sure that the 8.50 were legal according to the TCDS. Can you point me to the area in the TCDS for the Maule where the 8.50 are listed? .
Yes, sorry, they're on the aircraft equipment list, not the Type Cert data sheet, actually I believe the 8.50's to be on the optional aircraft equipment list. They used to be available on the Maule Air website, but think you have to call them now to verify you get the right equip lists....
Jim

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Redhawk, I'd check with your local FSDO first as most FBO's down there aren't buying big tire field approvals anymore. The large 8.50's are within fractions of being same size as the 26" blimp times anyway, and no paperwork required on that, just a logbook entry!! Having done many field approvals of these blimp tires in easier times, and due to new FAA Guidance on landing gear / systems, it's problematic getting someone to sign off on the field approvals anymore. Not saying can't be done, just not as easy as it used to be, and in some parts of country it's impossible to get an inspector to buy off due to local policies... Good luck!!
Jim

Vtaildriver

Post by Vtaildriver »

Hi Rick, Glad to hear from you. Yes I found the excerpt from the Required Equipment List showing the 8.50 tires. Thank you. Hope your Christmas was great.

Thank you Jim for the correction. I was searching the TCDS and thought I was going mad unable to find it.

[/img]

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Vtailmaule, if buying 8.50x6 tyres and tubes the Goodyear four groove are superior to the lower durometer McCreary 8 groove tyres which wear quicker and throw more rocks but cost less.
The 26" Goodyear smooth blimp tyres cost more and wear forever and throw no rocks but are actually not a full 26" more like 24. They do however improve the angle of attack for better takeoff and landings.
They are a bit larger ground contact than the 22" 8.50x6 though its best to air down a bit to soften the sidewalls which allows large contact area.
However, with lower air, it is wise to secure the rim of tube type tyres to avoid slippage and valve stem tear.
Last edited by maules.com on Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Vtaildriver

Post by Vtaildriver »

Hi, Jeremy,

I think I will run the Goodyear 26 idea by my PMI (primary maintenance inspector) at the FAA. Do you or anyone have any previously signed 337's available to use as guidance and coaxing. My PMI is partial to GA since he came from GA. As everyone here knows, once I submit my data package the group of PMI's at my local FSDO have a round table meeting and all have to agree before they will give me an approval.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Redhawk and Vtail and others interested should collaborate on this. AK came up with basic flight test parameters requiring pilot and A&P signatures stating that certain tyres caused no adverse conditions.
I have a copy somewhere, and submitted with a 337 might make better headway in lower 48. Years ago it worked on a regular basis. At least it takes a bit of the decision making away from the FAA.
The blimp tyres are TSO'd.
I have no experience with the new 4 ply 8.50x6 smooth lightweight tyres.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Vtaildriver

Post by Vtaildriver »

Hi, Jeremy,

I think I will run the Goodyear 26 idea by my PMI (primary maintenance inspector) at the FAA. Do you or anyone have any previously signed 337's available to use as guidance and coaxing. My PMI is partial to GA since he came from GA. As everyone here knows, once I submit my data package the group of PMI's at my local FSDO have a round table meeting and all have to agree before they will give me an approval.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Not only do the PMI level have to approve, then it has to go to ACO to be approved by engineers as it's considered a MLG component, which the PMI's can not approve anymore per their guidance... The old days are long since gone where a PMI from the FSDO could just stamp it... I've got a stamped field approval I did years ago on my maule, if you send me a regular email with your email address, I will send you a copy?
Last edited by aero101 on Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

aero101 wrote:Not only do the PMI level have to approve, then it has to go to ACO to be approved by engineers as it's considered a MLG component, which the PMI's can not approve anymore per their guidance... The old days are long since gone where a PMI from the FSDO could just stamp it... I've got a stamped field approval I did years ago on my maule, if you send me a regular email with your email address, I will send you a copy?
Got your email, 337 sent, good luck!
Jim

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

send me your email and I can send you 337's too. Jim helped me with 337's and it was very helpful My FAA guy wanted to see 337 examples from other Maules that had been approved.

I love my GY 26's, a good alternative to ABI tires but lots cheaper and durable. Good for most non-paved ops even though not soft like ABI.
I would say go for it.
1980 M5-235
Four Corners