M5, MX7, or Cessna 180???

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
lancef53

M5, MX7, or Cessna 180???

Post by lancef53 »

Hi all, this might be a biased forum to post this, but my dad and I are going to buy a 4 place taildragger in the next couple of months, and have been waffling back and forth between a 235 maule and a C-180. For us, the insurance short term is about 7-800 more per year for the maule than the cessna, and we are comfortable with that. I am leaning to the Cessna, while my dad keeps talking about a maule. In my mind,(not based on any hard facts) I keep comparing the maule to our old Aeronca Champ, noisy, drafty, etc. I have only about an hour in a M5-210 with patrol doors, and it was noisy and drafty. Are they all about the same? I like the cessna for comfort and noise level, but not the fact that they are 40-50 years old, compared to a 20 year old maule for the same price (<100k, hopefully around 80k).

Any tips? It seems like we know what we want one day, then not the next.

Bottom line for you guys, why a maule instead of a 180?

Thanks, Lance

Wayne

Post by Wayne »

In my opinion the Maule 235 will out preform the c-180 in short field.Now the c-180 may out cruise the Maule at a lower power setting I'm not sure. I fly a M-7 235 and I will usually see a cruise about 132 to 135kts at 75% power.
I may have a bias opinion about Maule :wink: but I have a friend who had a c-180 and it was more like my granddad's old chevy. If you go with the Cessna you may want to jump up to the 300hp 185 to be more like the Maule. Don't get me wrong :) a cessna is ok but I love my Maule for the short field performance. I may push the limits of short field a little and thats what makes flying fun for myself.

What kind of flying do you guys plan on doing most of? Short grass strips, alot of blacktop, or alot of cross country?

lancef53

type of flying

Post by lancef53 »

I should have posted it earlier, but the main type of flying is off of grass, but not short strips. Short cross countries, hoping to get into some longer flights as the kids get older(3 and 5 now), right now they like to stop often, and don't always want to keep flying.

I would like to get into some off airport flying, but the type I feel comfortable with now, either choice is good enough.

It will have skiis on it in the winter, as that is half the year in North Dakota :lol: .

Thanks, Lance

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

You just wanted to rattle some cages..........
The 180 is the best choice.
Get a 9" 12 volt TV with a dvd player, the kids will love it. Sorry, that's what I used now you can get a portable dvd player with screen, about 1/4 the weight of what I had. One other tool to keep the kids happy are books that come with an audio tape. The 180 is going to provide much more comfort for the family.

Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Come on now, putting skis on in North Dakota? I go through Portland on my way out duck hunting and you would be far better off staying on wheels. I mean really, if you can dodge a tree every hundred miles or so, you can land anywhere, anytime on wheels! :lol:
Get the 180, better visibility to Grand Forks radar/ they can differentiate you from the geese.
Me? I just stay higher than a 10 gauge can reach and keep looking for water.
Rolf
Have plane, will fish

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

I got a Maule because I couldn't afford a 180, at least not one I'd have.

Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Now men this is a Maule pilots site how can you say a c-180 is a better plane than a Maule. :lol: A Maule has four doors not two, a Maule M-7 235 will clear 50ft trees in a 1000ft with safety to spare. Where a c-180 will take the trees off just above the stumps.(maybe a little higher :wink:)
With a 1000lbs. in each plane on a 90 degree day the Maule I know will blow the Cessna 180 away getting out.

A cessna 180 230hp [if i remember right] is a nice plane a Maule 235hp long wing is a great plane! With that said I must say a Cessna 185 is also a great plane.

Did I say I love my Maule? :wink:

Rocketman

Post by Rocketman »

a64pilot wrote:I got a Maule because I couldn't afford a 180, at least not one I'd have.
What he said.
Although, I wouldn't mind having a nice 180 or even a franklin 220 powered C170 for a while.
Maintenance is easier and cheaper on the Maule though. Not to mention a lot more fun to fly.
Real pilots fly airplanes built in Moultrie.
Real good pilots fly yellow airplanes that smell like poison built in Albany.

lancef53

thanks,

Post by lancef53 »

Thanks for the replies, I am not trying to rattle anyone's cages, I just wanted to know what your thoughts are.

As for the skiis, we have a grass strip at the farm, and it is not real practical to keep it clean enough for wheels all winter, It is enough work trying to keep it smooth and level.

Is there much noise difference between patrol doors and not? I can deal with the noise myself, but my 3 year old son always says after about 10 minutes of flight, "my ears are sweating" and removes his headset. I worry about his hearing.

Thanks for the replies!!!

Lance

Rolf-Stop by next fall when you are duck hunting-small world!!!

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Re: thanks,

Post by Hottshot »

lancef53 wrote:Thanks for the replies, I am not trying to rattle anyone's cages, I just wanted to know what your thoughts are.

As for the skiis, we have a grass strip at the farm, and it is not real practical to keep it clean enough for wheels all winter, It is enough work trying to keep it smooth and level.

Is there much noise difference between patrol doors and not? I can deal with the noise myself, but my 3 year old son always says after about 10 minutes of flight, "my ears are sweating" and removes his headset. I worry about his hearing.

Thanks for the replies!!!

Lance

Rolf-Stop by next fall when you are duck hunting-small world!!!
Lance--

If the kid has "sweaty ear syndrome" get some Childrens earplugs and you will have less worry if he needs to take off the headsets, as for the Maule vs. 180 thing they are both great planes but for me it was the loading and un-loading of gear and people as well as the cost of parts and maint. that realy turned my head.... Maule Fuel selector switch.. $65.00
Cessna.. $875.00.... and then try to get it in there with out costing you another $800. The Maule is slower but that means you get to see what you are flyin' over.. Just my .02

lancef53

Post by lancef53 »

I realize the speed is a little different, but it really means nothing to me if I am going 150 NM. A couple of minutes either way is not a big deal to me.

I will check on the earplugs--

Thanks, Lance

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

I think Wup may have summed it up best. I too have replaced the fuel selector as well a couple of other items. Virtually all components for my plane are available from the factory at what would be considered not only very affordable but in some cases, down right cheap. I can get a replacement wing for about $6-7k, I can get a new fuselage for about $13k. A new cowl for $4-500. A friend of mine has a 1976 180 and wanted to replace a small, rectangular piece on the bottom of the cowl. After several months, he found a used one that was $1700.
Several years ago, I had called Bruce Harlow (at Maule) about something on a Friday afternoon. A lady with a drawl answered the phone and said that everyone was at a birthday party for the rest of the day, she asked for the tail # and serial # after a long pause asked if the plane was still yellow. I was talking to June Maule the CEO, she was answering the phones. Try that with Cessna! :wink:
The 180 is a great plane and a pleasure to fly. However, every plane is a compromise of one sort or another, it all depends on what your priorities are. I like the Yellow Peril because it does what I need when I need it with the minimum amount of fuss, that and I'm rather attached to her now. The important thing is to fly whatever you have, often. Your proficiancy is more important that the planes ability.

xwildcat
100+ Posts

Post by xwildcat »

YELLOWMAULE wrote:The important thing is to fly whatever you have, often. Your proficiancy is more important that the planes ability.
AMEN!

That's like asking, "Shall I learn to play the guitar or the violin?". Answer: How would we know what you will like? It's not music until a good MUSICIAN plays 'em. As long as that's happening, then either choice is great.

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

This is cool!

Now your Maule may be slower than a 180. However I can blow the doors off of one :lol:

just in case 152 kts tas, not full trottle Image

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

210TC wrote: Now your Maule may be slower than a 180. However I can blow the doors off of one :lol:
And at almost 17,000 feet...too bad a J-3 could out run her these days. :wink:

In case some of you don't know, David has one of the nearly extinct Turbo Maules in the country so don't let him fool you with his performance numbers. :lol:
"To most people, the sky is the limit. To a pilot, the sky is home."

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top