MXT-7 180

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

gregorydshanks
100+ Posts

MXT-7 180

Post by gregorydshanks »

Any tips on replacing the battery in my nose-dragger?

LT4247
100+ Posts

Post by LT4247 »

Where is your battery located in the 180? I dont remember.
Concorde is a better choice.
J.R. Lane
GEORGIA
----------------------------
"I say all that big talk is worth doodly squat"!
- Granny Hawkins

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

If you want to save 13.5 lbs you could replace that old heavy battery with an Odysey battery.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Second on the Odysey.

Of course you can't go wrong with the Concorde and it's a drop in. It's just heavier. Stay away from the Gill. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.

Odysey will take a little more paperwork if you can stand the time and the IA fees but then a good aviation attorney would know that.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I love the Concord recombinant gas batteries. I just replaced my RG35AXC with a new one after 5 years. Even in winter it cranks the engine without a problem.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

FARMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by FARMAULE »

I just put an odyssey in mine and the prop has never turned over this fast before. Starts way easier.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

As was explained to me, as long as you don't make mechanical changes to the battery mount, the pilot/owner may change the battery.
If weight is different then W&B must be updated.
The Odysey is an approved battery and all that is needed is a light plywood base between battery and battery tray. The same hold down is used.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

gregorydshanks
100+ Posts

changing battery

Post by gregorydshanks »

So there are no gotcha's like disconnecting the alternator or the left gizmo before you reconnect the new battery?

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

Connect the "neg - " terminal LAST or sparks may fly. :oops:
The best Government, is less Government.

gregorydshanks
100+ Posts

battery replacement

Post by gregorydshanks »

Well, the follow up on changing the battery. After spending $285 for a new Concorde battery, before it arrived but after I had ordered it, i thought about checking the alternator, and discovered the grounding cable from the engine block to the frame was completely separated by a through and through break in the spade connector. The cable was replaced when I had the engine replaced last year, so the brass/copper spade connector is just too weak to handle the vibration from the Lycoming.
It wasn't the battery, but now that the new battery is here, I figured I might as well use it.
Bryan at Maule made a new cable when I called and said it would be on his desk tomorrow when I get there for the flyin.

crisker

Post by crisker »

What model concord did you get? I also need a new one. Thanks

gregorydshanks
100+ Posts

New starter

Post by gregorydshanks »

Well now the problem is that the starter seems to drag through 5 blades or so, then picks up power and finally starts the engine.
It initially sounds like the battery is weak, but this is the brand new battery i put in two weeks ago. it worked great the first three times I flew and then today, it acted the same as the old battery.
My mechanic says the starter needs to be rebuilt or replaced. A
An thoughts or advice>

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Here's a link to an excellent trouble shooting guide from Sky Tec's website

http://www.skytecaircraftstarters.com/T ... ooting.htm

I printed out a copy and stuck it in the back of my Maintenance Manual. If your mechanic can't or won't follow all the steps, find someone that will.

Good luck, troubleshooting.

Kirk

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Charge the battery out of the plane. Then install it and jump it. See how it spins. If it spins real good then it might be the battery or charging. If it doesn't then it might be starter, or wiring, or solenoid, or, or, or.

Henry L. Heaberlin
100+ Posts

Starting issues

Post by Henry L. Heaberlin »

Make absolutely sure the ground bonding cables going around the engine shock mounts are in good shape. I spent a massive amount of time and money with batteries and starters, before I discovered a bad crimp in the bonding cable that ties the engine to the airframe ground... It was a simple cheap repair. The cable looked fine, but the crimped on lug was loose enough to heat up and stop the current flow to the starter... Eliminate the cheap stuff first.... :) Henry...