MT-7-235 approach speeds & power settings

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
Piperpilot

MT-7-235 approach speeds & power settings

Post by Piperpilot »

As the new owner of a 2001 MT-7-235 81" 2/blade Mccauley Maule & flying a Meridian for the past couple years, i am having a little trouble with the low air speeds and need a little help. If anybody can help me with airspeed, power settings, manifold pressure, and RPM settings/ flap settings, i would appreciate it. This thing just does not stop flying & i am having a blast. Just trying to accelerate my learning curve!
Thanks in advance.
N127CP

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

I fly the TW version f your plane, and I can only tell you what I do.
Plane light: pilot plus half tanks, 60 mph down wind 1 notch positive.
Base: 55 mph 2nd notch positive
Final: 50mph full flaps keep a nose high attitude in the flair, make sure yu touchdown mains first, don't relax pressure on the yolk, keep that nose up
Plane heavy: up your speed to 70 mph down wind 1 notch positive flap
Base: 65 mph second notch flap
Final: 60 mph DONT put full flap, you are flying heavy with an aft CofG, remainder stays unchainged. Less Flap keeps the nose up.
You might need a good boost of power to arrest the sink,, don't be shy on the rudders, pump those suckers
Enjoy the plane, they are good fun
Cheers
Chrs

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Speeds seem a little slow out there. It will slow down on short final. Perhaps 60 there or 50 when light. Every one will indicate and behave a little different. Take it out and play with it (the airplane).

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I fly a MX-7-180 tailwheel version. Here's what I use at typical loadings:

Downwind (assuming there is one): 17" MFP, 2300 RPM, 80 MPH
Initial descent (assuming there is one): 1500 RPM, 65 MPH, 1 notch flaps (24)
Base (assuming there is one): 1500 RPM, 65 MPH, 2 notches flaps (40)
Final: 1300-1600 RPM, 55-60 MPH (full flaps - 48 degrees)

If you're landing at a back country airstrip, you might not have some of the traditional pattern legs, which is what I meant by "assuming there is one".

You'll have to play around with the throttle setting and pitch for an airspeed in your airplane until you find the combination that gives you a good sink rate without floating after you flare and without planting it too hard. The power settings and flap settings change with loading, wind and descent angle. Vortex generators allow you to use lower airspeeds. I go to idle power right before the flare and increase the flare gradually until touchdown. If I want to do a wheelie instead of 3-pointer, I flare a little less and give it forward yoke when the mains touch down. You can use a shot of throttle to arrest too high a sink rate before you touch down.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

TomD
100+ Posts

Landing

Post by TomD »

This is from Ray Maule for a M7-160. Different engine but basics are about the same.

http://www.mauleflight.com/patt_mx_160.pdf

Steelroamer
100+ Posts

Post by Steelroamer »

this is cool, we are getting everybody!! we got a cubdriver in a maule and now a piperpilot in a maule!! although maulewaco is in a cessna :roll:

anyway Piperpilot, usernameguy on this site has a few really good videos that are worth watching, they are geared toward backcountry ops, but I have found them very useful as a new pilot and Maule driver. he flys an M7, it is a tailwheel but I found it really helped me with getting used to the steep approach that the Maule seems to like (and frankly I am really getting to like as well)

have a look ; the landing

https://www.backcountrypilot.org/photo- ... tructional

the approach

https://www.backcountrypilot.org/photo- ... ubegallery
There is no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Okay, all the advice is good for the Maule models indicated however the MT7 is different to an M7 to an M5 to 160 or 180hp.
The MT7 has no 48 deg flap unless modified.
The cg and thus approach speeds are very different between the 160/180hp models and the 235hp models.
Each unit should be flown according to its own characteristics. Many of the Maules i check are rigged differently, dihedral/washout/VGs/propellors/battery position.
The same model may have a 10-15mph different safe approach speed.
Just because the plane is "in Annual" does not mean it is rigged correctly.
If you want the best from your plane especially if newly acquired then start at square one and fully check it out. Rigging is in Maint manual.
Then fly it with a competent pilot to ascertain the speeds and power settings for that particular plane.
For max landing performance it is important to understand what dynamics take place at use of elevator trim.
The 235hp units will run out of elevator effect if you fully trim off the load and there will be no elevator movement remaining if trying to flare, plus, the effect on that fully up elevator when application of full power to recover a steep descent will require immense forward yoke pressure to avoid a dramatic balloon and imminent stall.
Once trim is understood and applied beneficially, you will no longer need to move eyes away from target to ASI as your muscle memory of trim selected will bypass use of the lagging ASI which is only relating historical information.
Muscle memory is much more rapid than information transmission from eyes to brain and back outbound to appropriate action (which by that time may be the wrong action).
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Loogie
100+ Posts

Post by Loogie »

So Jeremy, I am almost always close to full nose up trim at 60/65 and 40/28 flaps, would you recommend to not trim as much and use back pressure instead? I never felt like I ran out of elevator even though I hit the limit of trim a few times. Your thoughts?
Loogie

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The 180hp Maules are 100lbs lighter on the nose than 235's so the over trimming is not as critical.
Very roughly trim for best glide speed then if for some odd reason you broke the elevated cable you would be setup already.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

The 235hp units will run out of elevator effect if you fully trim off the load and there will be no elevator movement remaining if trying to flare
I have seen this demonstrated at Johnson Creek by a M7-260. Got to log two landings on that one. 8)

Piperpilot

Post by Piperpilot »

Thank all of you for your great advice! Jeremy, thnx abunch, i get it. Steelroamer, i will watch the Vids and i know my name isn't nearly as cool as yours but i guess i'm stuck with it now! But i'm a big boy and can handle it the grief :) Chris, my flaps are 24 & 40 but i catch your drift, thnx.

Piperpilot

Post by Piperpilot »

Jeremy,

I do believe my airplane is out of rig and i did download the specs and am going to get it corrected asap. Thnx

Paul Amstutz

landing speeds and pitch trim

Post by Paul Amstutz »

M7260
29" bushwheels
35# toolkit/camping equipment bag at rear of baggage compartment, seems to help keep from running out of elevator in flare and I think it flies faster in cruise too
For shortest strips I do final full flaps at 50, power to keep that speed, point the plane at desired landing point which I can just see over nose
pitch trim set to takeoff mark

The plane will do final at 40-42 with FULL yoke back, 1500rpm, steering with rudder, but can't see where I am going

I do all my landings with pitch trim at take off no matter how the plane is loaded. When I take off I know close to how that feels. Trimming to neutral on final requires too much forward pressure on go around for me, and I can't control it smoothly. I figure if I am having to go around I am already behind the plane and I want have control pressures reasonable and as familiar as possible. Yes, my left arm gets tired pulling back if I am doing a bunch of pattern work, but for one landing it isn't an issue.

As always, open for criticism/suggestions/things about this that I haven't thought of. thanks, paul

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

I second the plug on the training videos previously mentioned. Helped me immensely even after years in the Maule.

The Meridian is a numbers airplane. The Maule is a seat of the pants airplane. I really only give an occasional glance at indicated airspeed on base and final out of habit. The important info is all by feel and looking outside.

Enjoy the transition!

Kirk

Piperpilot

Post by Piperpilot »

Good info Kirk & Paul. I am getting used to it now and you are correct on the seat of the pants but my training wont allow me not to watch the airspeed.
Thnx Guy's