Fuel and oil -hoses

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Maule_Norway

Fuel and oil -hoses

Post by Maule_Norway »

Hello.

In our aeroclub in Norway we have a Maule Mx7-180 with Lycoming O-360 C1F engine.

We're about to replace the hoses for the oil and fuel -lines in the engine compartment, and I have a question regarding that.

What is this hose for? (named "6" in picture).
Is seems like it goes direct into a instrument and to direct into the engine block (rear side).

Thanks for any help!

Anders Bergane - Norway

TimB
100+ Posts

Post by TimB »

Oil pressure
TimB

Maule_Norway

Post by Maule_Norway »

Okay thanks. So that means this should also be replaced.

How is it working btw?
Is there actually oil running through the hose? or is it just electrical wire / sensor inside the hose?

Another question and picture:
Is the black hose used for the fuel primer, going direct into the carburettor?

Anders Bergane - Norway

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

#6 appears to be the heat sleeve of the oil pressure gauge hose - there is engine oil in the hose feeding to a mechanical gauge.

Is the black hose the fuel supply to the primer system or the fuel pressure gauge - it gets pressure from the carb inlet.

Edit - It has to be the fuel pressure gauge hose, primer is not pressure fed.
Last edited by pilot on Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

Maule_Norway

Post by Maule_Norway »

Yes, you might have right on that one. The black one is probably for fuel pressure gauge.

The primer lines goes to the gascolator and another line direct into the cylinders as I can see from some drawings.
Anders Bergane - Norway

Maule_Norway

Post by Maule_Norway »

Another hose question:

The black one going from the motorblock and out to some kind of pipe, like a drain pipe or something.

What is that?

Anders Bergane - Norway

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Looks like crankcase breather.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Maule_Norway

Post by Maule_Norway »

Okay, thanks a lot!
Anders Bergane - Norway

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

CCV, or breather. No pressure, just need to make sure it doesn't collapse or get pinched.

Njacko
100+ Posts

Post by Njacko »

Hi Anders,

Is your aeroclub the one which operates an AN2 and other heavy metal from Skien? If so, I'd really like to thumb a ride one fine day.

P.S. Welcome, by the way, and do post a photo of the rest of your airplane when you're done fossicking under the hood!

ATB, Peter.
MX-7-180 N280SA

Maule_Norway

Post by Maule_Norway »

Hi Peter!

Yes that's almost correct. Our Maule is operated by Nome Flying Club in Lunde in Telemark county, in southern part of Norway. Skien is about 25 miles southeast of Lunde.

And in Skien you find Russian Warbirds of Norway which operates one AN2, two L29's and two YAK52's. But I understand that you connect those two "clubs" together, because many of the members in Nome Flying Club is also members and part-owners of the russian birds. Me included.

Nome Flying Club is actually mostly a glider club. We operate 5 gliders, including DG500, LS4, K8, T31 and Phoebus.
Our Maule has been with us since 1991. Actually I think it was bought direct from Maule after it has been used as a promotion plane.
There has also been a M5 within the club/members from 1989 till around 2000.

Other than that there isn't more than 4-5 Maule's in Norway.

Our Mx7 is mainly used to towing gliders, fire patrol and skiflying during wintertime.

Here is some photos of planes and Lunde airfield:

Anders Bergane - Norway

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Such wonderful pics thanks for sharing. :D

The placards are all in English. Is English the official aviation communication language in Norway?

The aerial pic of the grass strip looks like a slice of Heaven.

The giant biplane is so cool. There was one in California where I lived. It was an oily mess but very cool.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Cool pics! Pretty place. Lots of Russian hardware up there!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Njacko
100+ Posts

Post by Njacko »

Spectacular photos, thanks for posting.

How do you find the 180 as a glider tug? Well, I guess if you're still using it after a quarter century, it's OK, also with single tail strut.

Out of interest, what skis do you use in winter, and do you use them in the mountains like the Swiss and Froggies, or just on fields and lakes?

PJ.
MX-7-180 N280SA

Maule_Norway

Post by Maule_Norway »

Yes, English and Norwegian is official aviation language in Norway. Mostly English. But some requirements from the national CAA are written in Norwegian on the placards..

Yes the AN-2 is a oily mess. But with the new exhaust system it helps a lot.

The MX-7-180 is a good tug for us. We've had the Maule for 23 years now, and never been a problem regarding towing. Not a problem with the sinlge tail strut as far as I know.

We have a grass-strip so in wet condition we could whish for more power when we are towing the two-seaters. But we have almost 1000 m strip, so it's never really been a problem.

We have Fluidyne 3000 (main - from year 1981) and Fluidyne 1000 (tail - from year 1973) skies for our plane. Installed in 1995.
I don't have ski rating myself, but I think they are a good choice as I've heard from the others. And we use them mostly on fields an lakes.
Anders Bergane - Norway