Edo-Aire Gascolator Challenges

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Flybrian1950
100+ Posts

Edo-Aire Gascolator Challenges

Post by Flybrian1950 »

Just went thru several days delay in my annual process due to the Edo-Aire gascolator gaskets. New gaskets last year, and thought I could reuse them. Turns out the gaskets used last year were the wrong thickness, and in trying to re-use them the aluminum barrel of the gascolator would not seat without pushing the gasket inward creating a leak. After three attempts I went back to the old computer to research a diagram and seek part numbers for the gaskets. Turns out no exploded views are available., My MX7 parts CD was of no help either, it referenced a Piper gascolator#, or the old Edo-Aire.

I finally found out that Edo-Aire was bought out by Sigma-Tek , which is still producing the G199-105 gascolator, After calling Sigma-Tek, learned they do not sell the gaskets, only the complete unit, and would not give out a part number for a gasket only, turns out they did not have a PMA for the gascolator parts. They indicated gaskets were only available from Maule, Cessna or Beech. Good ole Bryan at Maule Parts, gave me the 33-199-6 part number for the seals only.

Finally was able to locate a gasket at a local cessna dealer. Bryan at Maule parts had the best price, before shipping $10.80. The correct gaskets are 2 1/4 OD x 1 5/8 ID x 3/32 thick.

In the process I also looked at a new Gascolator from Steve's , which for $300 looks like a sweet deal for the future. My aluminum barrel and base are beginning to show some corrosion, and replacing the whole unit looks less expensive than replacing the parts in a year or so. The Steve's model is clearly a simpler more robust design, that is much easier to service, and uses an O ring seal.
SN 8020C, The first M6-180 land plane.

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

Figured I'd post here so that if anyone has an answer we'll essentially have all the relevant part numbers to rebuild the old gascolators in a single thread:

Anyone know which drain valve is mounted to the bottom of the G199-105 or what the o-ring size is?

Recently my valve will take some cycling, turning, etc to get it to stop dripping if I get any gunk in there. Would like to try a nice new and soft o-ring or maybe replace the entire valve before I splurge for a Steve's Gascolator.

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

the drain valve in the gasco is a curtis CCA-1550 and the o-ring is not replaceable.
M5-235

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

See, I saw that in the parts catalog somewhere as well but my gascolator and valve look different than what's in the drawing. Though as long as the thread size matches I'm sure it will work just as well. The CCA-1550 looks like the belly sump valves so why not right?

However, I was poking around the internet some more earlier and see that mine looks like the SAF-AIR CAV-110H-4 style, just not sure which size from memory. Only advantage I can see over the CCA-1550 is that it is narrower.

I see Aircraft Spruce and the manufacturer website list o-ring part numbers for the SAF-AIR valves so I ordered a couple of each size and will see if what I have matches one of those.

I'll report back once I get the bowl/drain out and see.

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

Finally got around to the gascolator and found the valve installed on mine is a SAF-AIR CAV-110 which takes a MS29513-006 o-ring.

chazdevil
100+ Posts

Post by chazdevil »

Weigh in here with even More non solicited opinion.
Steve’s Gascolator should be a must have upgrade for Anything you’re flying!
It’s ease of use is just amazing.
79 M5 235Turbo

galtpilot

gascolater

Post by galtpilot »

I put a Steve's gascolater in my plane earlier this year. Very nice unit.

vern

Re: Edo-Aire Gascolator Challenges

Post by vern »

Does anyone know who makes this gascolater?

Image Image

The housing cracked at fuel line attachement and I need a replacement. It is on 1973 M4-210c

vern

Re: gascolater

Post by vern »

galtpilot wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:36 pm
I put a Steve's gascolater in my plane earlier this year. Very nice unit.
Galtpilot, Do you have any photos of your installation ?

vern

Post by vern »

vern wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:41 pm
Does anyone know who makes this gascolater?

Image Image

The housing cracked at fuel line attachment and I need a replacement. It is on 1973 M4-210c
The ANSWER, after several hours of pouring through the M-4 Parts Catalog DVD: it's a Gerdes A-1040-1. According to dwg # 5182XrevD, this apparently was installed on SN 1081C & later, at least with the TCM IO-360.

The factory has a replacement kit (Service Kit #2) for installing a new Sigma-Tek gascolater, but I am concerned about the dual mounting bolts that come through the firewall. With old unit the bolts are spaced 3/4" apart. The spacing on Sigma-Tek G199-105 is wider, similar to StevesAircraft SA3-10-C, which I am told are spaced apart 1 3/4".

If re-drilling the firewall is needed, I am thinking the SteveAir unit might be a better choice ? Does anyone have photo of a Steve's gascolater replacement in a Maule? Was it a simple swap out using existing firewall mounting, fuel line fitting ? Or more involved ?

galtpilot

Post by galtpilot »

We were able to use the same bolts through the firewall with the Steve's installation. It was a fairly easy install but had to be a little creative to get the outlet to come through the cowling. I don't have any pictures but I will take some when I take the cowl off.

vern

Post by vern »

galtpilot wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:32 am
We were able to use the same bolts through the firewall with the Steve's installation. It was a fairly easy install but had to be a little creative to get the outlet to come through the cowling. I don't have any pictures but I will take some when I take the cowl off.
Got the SA-10C installed last week. We had to drill one new hole in firewall and use 1/2" longer bolts with a couple spacers to get the fuel line alignment to work, but fits good now.