M4 Rear Sling Seat Approval

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
stick_rudder
100+ Posts

M4 Rear Sling Seat Approval

Post by stick_rudder »

Today the FSDO called to tell me they signed off on my M4 rear sling seat field approval. I promptly went to the FSDO and picked up the original stamped 337! I plan on doing the modification this winter. If anyone needs a copy of the 337 for their own approval just let me know.

vern

Post by vern »

Did you use (or propose to use) a current Maule rear seat, or a sling seat of your own configuration?

stick_rudder
100+ Posts

Post by stick_rudder »

I listed the sling seat to be used as the maule parts. I have one I pulled out of an M5.

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

I would like one plz!

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

What is involved to istall the sling seat in teh M-4? Any welding to do?
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

stick_rudder
100+ Posts

Post by stick_rudder »

Yes, a total of 5 pieces that I can think of off the top of my head need to be welded to the fuselage. A good project for when the aicraft is do for a recover like mine :D

TomD
100+ Posts

sling seat

Post by TomD »

When I was in Moultrie last year I saw that there was a tie down tab welded to the rear port side corner cabin at the bottom of the bulkhead. My M5 does not have one of these and looks as if it never did.

Another good add on while down to frame.

chazdevil
100+ Posts

Rear seat

Post by chazdevil »

If I remember correctly, you can relocate seat base attatch point slightly further aft for a bit more rear leg room. It's like Mx7?
Smarter folks than me can help with the details on it ;)
Chaz
79 M5 235Turbo

stick_rudder
100+ Posts

Post by stick_rudder »

On the drawings there are two different locations for the sling seat. I've seen some aircraft setup with both options installed so depending on the need for a particular flight (i.e., more legroom or more cargo space), you could put the seat in the locations that works best.

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

FYI: The rear position sling seat location is only approved in the M-7/MT-7 series aircraft under our TC. It is not approved in any other fuselage including the MX series.

stick_rudder
100+ Posts

Post by stick_rudder »

Good to know Duane! I have been using drawings for the M5 and it showed both positioned. Maybe there is a note I overlooked….

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

Maybe I need to look into this a little farther. I'll let y'all know monday. I was basing that on the 1355 drawing which is the rear position upper sling seat tube. On our MDL, those are the only fuselages that are approved. Just thought of something, 1355 is the quick release version. there may be one for the bolt in.

stick_rudder
100+ Posts

Post by stick_rudder »

I'm referencing dwg's 1235E revD and 1234B revD for the M5.

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

Ok, I think I got this. The M-5, the rear position was optional via 1235E. Starting with the M-6, the rear position was the standard installation. For the M-5, there are 2 options for installing the rear position, left side receptor for the upper sling seat tube per 1235E. There is a bracket (item 1267B that is not depicted on 1235E and was changed per BD way back when to the diagonal tube -3). And the diagonal tube -3 and since both require welding, the tube is easier and actually adds some structural strength to that area which cant be a bad thing.
After that is all welded in, you can go with the bolt in upper sling seat tube 1211E, or use the quick release system (recommended) 1344B.
Don't you just love the Maule print bunny trail system? :roll:

stick_rudder
100+ Posts

Post by stick_rudder »

Great info, thanks Duane!