Roll Rate

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Roll Rate

Post by Lowflybye »

Anybody know the roll rate of the MX7-180?
"To most people, the sky is the limit. To a pilot, the sky is home."

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

At what speed, gross weight and CG? Chris you know all of those things affect it, some more than others. The old M-6 with the ineffective ailerons will roll nicely and stay positive all the way around :D without a lot of rudder too.

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

a64pilot wrote:At what speed, gross weight and CG? Chris you know all of those things affect it, some more than others. The old M-6 with the ineffective ailerons will roll nicely and stay positive all the way around :D without a lot of rudder too.
:lol: I was guessing entry at about 120 - 130 mph, 300lb under gross and and CG close to the forward edge of the envelope.

I noticed the roll rate in the MX7 seems to be a bit slower than on the M5, but wondered what it will be. I think it will be about the same as a Citabria.

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

What year?? Pre '93 have shorter wing will roll faster :lol: and do you have any money and in what pocket ??

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

1994 vintage...

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

How about saying it's about half the roll rate of a C-210?

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Chris, whatcha trying to do?

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

nothing fancy, just your basic aileron roll. I spent Friday afternoon in a Yak 52 doing all sorts of acro and it got me to wondering...I figured that I was not the first to wonder / discover so I thought I would ask :lol:

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Your carburated, so you know what that means if you let her flounder on her back. Also you wouldn't believe the amount of oil that will come out of the crankcase breather if stays on it's back. So don't let it stay on it's back. If an early model M-6 will go over with it's ineffective ailerons, then I'm sure you can. I learned how in a helicopter, and they roll better to the right, so I go that way, which I would think would be the wrong way for an airplane, but it works, so what they hey.
The 210 does it much cleaner though :lol:

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

pitch it up 40 to 45 degree's on entry

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

a64pilot wrote:Your carburated, so you know what that means if you let her flounder on her back. Also you wouldn't believe the amount of oil that will come out of the crankcase breather if stays on it's back. So don't let it stay on it's back. If an early model M-6 will go over with it's ineffective ailerons, then I'm sure you can. I learned how in a helicopter, and they roll better to the right, so I go that way, which I would think would be the wrong way for an airplane, but it works, so what they hey.
The 210 does it much cleaner though :lol:
I do not plan to hang from the seatbelt in a Maule...continuous roll and positive G load all the way around if I do it right so the oil and carb should be a non issue. Nose down to pick up some smash - pull the nose up steady at 140 - heels on the horizon at 120 - bump the yoke forward to unload the wing - yoke hard over to the left - light on the backpressure through the inverted - slight left rudder in the last 1/4 turn to keep the nose on track and voila.

That is my thought process anyway...pretty basic for most any aircraft (speeds adjusted for aircraft model of course). I just wondered if I was on the right track with reference to the MX7-180. You know how it is...A smart man learns from his mistakes, but a wise man learns from others mistakes. :D

As for the roll to the right or left...left is easier in most aircraft due to the torque from the motor...a 220hp Stearman is a real bear to get it to roll to the right for just that reason. The Yak on the other hand swings the prop backwards so a roll to the right is easier.

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

Just get with it and tell us how it TURNED out.........LOL

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

210TC wrote:Just get with it and tell us how it TURNED out.........LOL
Hope to get the prop back by Saturday...Lord willing and the creek don't rise.

I will let you know how she does.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

It'll go fine, done right it's a 1G maneuver, but I'm no Robert Hoover. Have you heard the clip where he say's he rolled the shrike when it was full of people and only the person in the cockpit with him knew it happened?

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????