Pre Purchase inspection

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
jsperin

Pre Purchase inspection

Post by jsperin »

I am looking at buying a M5-235C in the Atlanta area and am wondering if anyone has recommendations for a mechanic in the area that can do a pre purchase inspection for me later this month (May).

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

Send a pm to MauleMechanic here on this site. His name is Bryan and he works at Maule Flight. Probably one of the best in the business.

jsperin

Post by jsperin »

Thank you I will give him a shout and see what he says.

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

Whatever you do, get Bryan if you can, or an expert on Maule's.

An acquaintance just bought an Arrow that did have a Pre-Purchase Inspection and the mechanic said it was a good plane.

His annual is being done right now and the bill is already over $12,000 and climbing.

Broken ribs, caulked fuel tanks, cracks in engine support, etc.............

If I purchase another used plane I will have an Annual done on it before the purchase.
MXT-7-180A Comet

BamaMaule

Post by BamaMaule »

I second the Maule Flight suggestion. Great folks. Great service.
Greg
1980 M5-180C

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Like a prepurchase, the annual is only as good as the mechanic. I bought my Maule with zero flight time since annual, brought it home and spent a couple of months bringing stuff up to what I would consider reasonable airworthy standards. I had crawled around it for a couple of hours and pretty well knew what I was buying but knew I didn't want to fly it for a year like it was.

Just saying know your mechanic whether it is prepurchase, annual, or just a casual look.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

I think I would have to talk to someone if a pre purchase inspection missed those type of items. Usually the pre purchase will point out things that would be nice to have done not airworthy items. Again thought it goes back to finding an experienced trusted honest mechanic who will always be in demand. Good luck to your friend Mau Mau.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

MauleMechanic
100+ Posts

Post by MauleMechanic »

A pre-purchase inspection should be performed the same as a 100hr/annual inspection minus the oil change etc.....no required labor, just an inspection.

Hotrodlarry

Post by Hotrodlarry »

The factory did my inspection in April when I bought my airplane. I have a lot more confidence in their opinion. Kit even remembered the original owner.
HotRodLarry

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

Hotrod, That must have been Maule Flight. They are not part of the factory and are a separate entity. The factory is not allowed to work on certificated aircraft (thanks to our friendly FAA). But Maule Flight knows their stuff. Good people down there, even if they are packing. 8)