recover time

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

UP-M5
100+ Posts

recover time

Post by UP-M5 »

so it is time to recover my M5. i thought i would share these pisc with everyone. maybe they can be useful to someone, or maybe they will just help me feel better about being without my wings for a few months...

stripped and epoxy coated fuselage tubing, weld on float fittings installed.

brand spankin new ceconite going on. it won't be long now!

i'll keep you updated over the next few weeks...........
M5-235

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

we also took this oportunity to get rid of the old wooden stringers and replace them with aluminum. maule wanted $450 for a metal stringer kit, but we used locally sourced cub stringers for a lot less. all work is being completed at crosswinds STOL, wasilla AK- of the PA-12 crosswinds cruiser fame.
M5-235

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Crosswinds STOL has some great products. Think they would rig up an aft bagage for the Maule? Your airframe would be a great opportunity, being all stripped out.

Also wonder what they would think of adapting their wingtip to the M5, gain just a little wing area and stall fence the ailerons. Might give a bit shorter takeoff, faster climb and not muchif any speed penalty.

Kirk

N9657

M5 Covering

Post by N9657 »

I have a 1980 M5-180 and have talked to a few shops about recovering and painting. It seems like everyone wants 15k-20k for the recover and the same for the paint job. Is this about what it really costs or am I getting high numbers. Thanks

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

Is that a fishing rod tube that I see in the second picture?

Details please...materials used, weight, pros & cons...
"To most people, the sky is the limit. To a pilot, the sky is home."

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

Lowflybye wrote:Is that a fishing rod tube that I see in the second picture?

Details please...materials used, weight, pros & cons...

8) that would be a rod holder. 6" dia 4' long. it's still in the works as far a paperwork, but i'll let you know how it goes.

N9657,

those prices seem sky high to me. it may depend on how much you can help. i spend every free moment helping these guys. my biggest problem is that i am changing the color of the whole airplane, so every little part has to be stripped and repainted. i have hundreds of hours invested already in mostly stripping, prepping, priming of parts. and of course when i stripped one of the flaps i found cracks in it- so now i am reskinning it. found cracks in one of the wing skins- so now reskinning a wing.... it goes on and on :roll: but if i just dropped my plane off and told them to do a complete recover/repaint it would be very expensive. but not as high as the prices you were given.
M5-235

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

Kirk wrote:Crosswinds STOL has some great products. Think they would rig up an aft bagage for the Maule? Your airframe would be a great opportunity, being all stripped out.

Also wonder what they would think of adapting their wingtip to the M5, gain just a little wing area and stall fence the ailerons. Might give a bit shorter takeoff, faster climb and not muchif any speed penalty.

Kirk

i talked to charly about the aft baggage. we agreed i couldn't afford it right now, but he had some sweet ideas about moving the flap cable aft and moving the lower angled tubes elsewhere so it was a large flat area. these guys are artists with a tig welder and if you are in the market i would HIGHLY recommend them (even tho they are cub guys)

i haven't asked him about using part or all of his wing kits on a maule ??? they also use a drooped leading edge on their cubs, like a cessna camberlift. i'll run it by him later this week.
M5-235

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Personally, all I'd look for in an aft baggage is enough room to stuff cabin and wing covers in. Cutting tubes, moving flap cables etc would price it beyond what I would want to put into it.

Kirk

PS: Thanks for asking, they seem like a pretty switched on shop.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Mel Wick of Wick Air, Palmer AK has done some very nice extended baggage mods and also the Atlee Dodge single fold seat mod.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

white dope on the new fabric, getting ready for paint....

M5-235

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

Lookin' good, What coclr you gunna go with on the final coat??

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

just a clean bright white. and then some bright red stripes....
M5-235

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The venerable B.D. would be proud of you. Red over White.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

:lol:

there is going to be a touch of silver in there too. very much like the M7 on your homepage, jeremy.
M5-235

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

OK, stripes and N number are done!! its getting closer. :D

M5-235