VA Beach airshow 16-18 May Pungo

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
Loogie
100+ Posts

VA Beach airshow 16-18 May Pungo

Post by Loogie »

Gents if u can make this airshow this weekend it is worth seeing. Lots of vintage wwI A/C and very nice WWII machines that actually fly. This is the only time private aircraft are allowed to land on pungo airfield.

I will be there on fri and Sunday with N773MC as I have a bike race on Saturday.

I know there are a couple Maule drivers within striking distance of this airshow. We can also meet and bs about how great our machines are! Attached is the website link. See u there if able.

Loogie

http://www.militaryaviationmuseum.org/ww2-airshow.html
Loogie

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

I'm supposed to fly my wife & dog up to B06 (Basin Harbor resort) in Vermont for a weekend of relaxation and fine dining this coming weekend. If the weather blocks us going north, I'll try and fly south to this airshow on Sunday. The weather gurus aren't projecting the best of times for flying this weekend, but most of the slop seems destined for spots further north and east. I'll keep my fingers crossed. It would be a great outing! Thanks for the head's up!
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

Is it 42VA ?

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

Yes the airport is 42VA. A year or so ago, the collection was up for sale because of some financial challenges at the museum. That sale was getting lots of attention and made me wish I had a couple million just laying around. I just looked at the website and they seem to have the full collection still available for show. What happened? Did they just sell some dogs to provide a bit of operating cash? The one plane I haven't seen in is the Mosquito and that is still on the collection. Seeing it fly would be a real treat. The opportunity to fly in and possibly get a picture of my plane with a Mosquito in the background is really enticing.
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

Looking at the long range weather, Friday looks really bad and Sunday is just not good. That makes Saturday appear to be the best deal. I don't fully believe in long range forecasts, but they do inform my planning process. If we can't fly to Vermont (Saturday up there looks really bad), I will probably hit the airshow on Saturday. That means I might miss Loogie again! I'll keep my eyes on the weather as we get closer to the weekend and will keep you posted on my plans.

Loogie
100+ Posts

Post by Loogie »

I have a good friend that flies the Fokker triplane, he was a navy type that flew vigilantes. He said the owners were just try to capitalize some a/c for some reason. So far no issues they have all their cool inventory! Most important to me is their spitfire, love those things.

I think fri might hang in there w the wx, forecasts tend to roll right. Hopefully it will cooperate !
Loogie

Loogie
100+ Posts

Post by Loogie »

Forecast for Sunday looks best, should be doable! Fri not so much 100% precip heavy at times, expect 2" of rain...
Loogie

51598Rob
100+ Posts

Post by 51598Rob »

Fly Hound, are you forgetting something.......how are you going to explain this to your wife?
Let Freedom Prevail

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

My wife doesn't like flying IFR, or even in clear air if it is rough. The weather forecast between Northern VA and VT on Friday and Saturday is currently predicted to be nasty with rain all day and thunderstorms in the afternoon. I just rebooked our getaway for a week later and will hope for clear air on Friday the 23rd for the trip north. Now I really am freed up for the airshow! WooHoo! The updated Wx forecast is making Sunday look better for the trip from Manassas to the Virginia Beach area, so I might meet Loogie and the rest of the crowd there after all! I have my fingers crossed!

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

Hey Loogie: I called the military aviation museum and sent them an email to get information on flying in and they haven't responded. Do you have arrival details you can share? I am now planning to fly in on Sunday. The weather gods have aligned perfectly with the show. Did you fly in on Friday? If so, how was the field?

Gary Lanthrum
aka Flyhound

Loogie
100+ Posts

Post by Loogie »

No specific instruction, but says be there before the show at 1300. Rec use orf approach for flight following in. Go vfr fly over Chesapeake and circle south of fentress then up to pungo.

See u on sun wx looking good. I did not fly today wx crappy all day.
Loogie

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

Do they use 122.9 for unicom?

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

I just looked at PUNGO on the chart, and that is way the heck south of 42VA, down by ABEMARLE Sound. I think I'll have to find another intersection or waypoint a lot closer to 42VA!

Loogie
100+ Posts

Post by Loogie »

The airport is 42VA south of Oceana and east of fentress aux field. Oceana approach is 119.6 and Unicom is 122.9, Awos wx is 119.925

Do not fly to pungo intersection!

Recommend u fly west Norfolk over Chesapeake and arc around to the south for the airport.

If u want I am taking off around 0830 at kakq and are welcome to fly together down to 42va

Pungo is just a nickname the museum is on the airfield do not fly to the intersection! Us e the link website it will show u in airnav the location. Or foreflight.
Loogie

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

No worries - I'll be coming in from the NW with a friend. We should arrive early - I want to be sure we get a parking spot on the field. Since I fly in and out of the SFRA surrounding DC, the airspace around 42VA is not a concern. I will use flight following because of the heavy Navy traffic in and out of Oceana. I think we'll be on the ground at around 11:00 and will have time to check out the museum before the flying starts. Should be good! Look for N52GK on the ground and I'll be wearing a Maule cap.

Gary