New here, hello and looking for advice on my options.

Trigear? Taildragger? Fixed pitch prop? Which Engine? ...anything related with model selection considerations and questions about buying a Maule
DavidB.

New here, hello and looking for advice on my options.

Post by DavidB. »

Hello Everyone,

I'm new here. I am a private pilot with 300 hours PIC, tail dragger endorsement with about 100 hours in a Sport Cub, some Carbon Cub time, and a bit of PA-18 time. I am also an A&P mechanic and have a hangar with no airplane in it.
Until recently I my employer let me fly a Carbon Cub sometime, and provides a Sport Cub to rent at a very low rate to employees. I am moving on from this job, so that is ending.

I will buy an airplane this summer. I will probably buy a Maule, but I am not set on it. Here is my mission profile:

Home is 3500 paved at 1350 MSL with DA ranging from 600 to 5000 through out the year.

We have about 6 weeks of IMC weather in the winter, but above 3000 feet its clear and sunny. Many airports I would go to are VFR when we are socked in.

No kids, light weight wife, 2 50 pound dogs, I like bicycles and camping.

Common quick flights will be to 27W which is a 20 minute flight, 2700 grass with 100 foot trees all around it, DA issues when it's hot (2000 MSL) and nasty winf above the trees.

Stehikan. Another longer grass strip.

Cross Countries to Idaho and all the not too gnarly stuff like JC, as well as exploring and fishing areas of the Oregon and Nevada desert.

Today I have 30K in the bank. If I wait, I may have 75K, or something may come up and I will have less than 30K, but it's looking good to have 75K to spend this summer.

I can get a plane for 30K, maybe not a Maule, or anything I really want or that will do everything I want to do, but I can buy a flying plane for what I have. Since I am an A&P, I can also buy a plane with issues, but been there and there seems to never be enough time or money to get it done quickly, and I really would just like to go fly this summer.

In the 70K range my options really open up. I see older well equipped Maules for 50K and up, and am seeing 2005-2007 2 place 180 HP aircraft in the 65K to 80K range. It is going to be a hard choice deciding between equipment and power, or less age and wear.
Ideally I would love to buy a ground looped or other wise damaged newer model that had specific damage (IE not a restoration project with unknowns) Buy cheap, increase the value, make money if I decide I want something else.

I am also planning on getting my instrument rating, so I would like an IFR plane, and I would like to get my commercial and maybe tow some banners or give sight seeing rides. Seem like most of the Maules out there fit this possibility.

One question I have is insurance. What do you think it will cost based on the hours stated above? How much dual? I don't mind having to do more dual since if it's an IFR aircraft, I can just kill two birds by starting into that. I have a good instructor locally, no Maule experience though, buy lots of citabria time. Can he be insured for the Maule I buy? or will I need to seek out a Maule expert?

Ideas, suggestions, and tips welcome.
I may know a few of you from BCP or maybe I have ran into you around the NW somewhere. I am looking forward to much more flying in my life.

David

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

You've got a lot of variables there! To many unknowns to recommend a specific plane. The profile you listed is one that many planes can meet. Figure out how much you really have to spend and then seewhat is available when the money is ready to transfer. I bought my Maule on Vashon Island, back in your neck of the woods and flew it all the way to Virginia with my wife and too much baggage. It laughed at all of the airports along the way, including Santa Fe with a density altitude of more than 9,000 feet. Well, it didn't really laugh at KSAF, but it did get off of the ground and gave me 200 fpm even with the little 180 LYC under the cowl. I like the plane, but there are others that meet your undemanding flight profile. Having options will make your shopping process fun. We will be moving back to the NW the end of this year. Maybe we'll see you on one of your flights to 27W at the end of the year... Just let us know which plane to look for!
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

TomD
100+ Posts

New plane

Post by TomD »

I am an adherent to the " there is no substitute for horsepower" in high DA conditions, but having said that the 180HP Maules seem to do pretty well in high DA if care is taken.

I fly an M5-235C out of Harvey (S43) and Stehekin, 27W, and other higher strips are no problem assuming winds, gross weight, and temperature are all aligned.

For Hauling Bikes etc, there are few, if any, planes that can compare to a Maule. When the whole side of the plane opens up loading all sorts of stuff is possible. Several threads on that in this BB.

Touch base w/ Jeremy www.maules.com and discuss your cash vs mission plans and he can point you in the right direction.

Happy flying.

tom

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

Give Travers Insurance a call and get a quote.

They insure a lot of Maule's including mine.

http://www.traversaviation.com
MXT-7-180A Comet

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

:shock:
Last edited by MauleWacko on Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JW

Post by JW »

I flew a cirrus 20 for the last 7 years
Bought it with a partner new for 330k
Sold it last year for 150k it had about 1200 hours on it.
Took my half of money and bought a 88 m-6 235 for 60k
A little slower but way more fun and no payments
I think a maule is the best value out there
Cirrus sr-20 2200 lbs 200 hp
Maule m-6 1500 lbs 235 hp
Every time you take off its amazing.
Landings are more challenging but that's what brings the fun back into flying.
My insurance with 60k hull and no tail time was $1400.00 per year
Cirrus sr-20 140 knots
Maule m-6 115 knots
Maule is a little slower but if your hobby is flying it gives you more of your hobby on the way to the place you made up that you need to go to enjoy your hobby
1988 M6-235 5670T

Danws
100+ Posts

Post by Danws »

JW. Who is your insurance carrier??
Dan

DavidB.

Post by DavidB. »

Thanks for the replies.

I have been tempted by some of the Franklin powered aircraft. I have worked on a few Franklins, but all in Hiller Helicopters. I sort of like them, but the parts for the helicopters are easier to get from what I have gathered reading various forums.
A O-540 Maule may be what I need. From what I have read the fuel burn isn't too terribly different. I definitely want a constant speed prop.

I agree the more power is better. I have flown a bunch of different Cub Crafters planes in the last year. The Sport Cub with it's O-200 is fun, but there is nothing like the Carbon Cub with it's 180 HP and sub 900 empty weight. Even at gross weight, it climbs like crazy. I may have gotten spoiled and it's possible I wouldn't be happy with 180 HP.

As I learn more and gain experience, I will want to land in some more challenging places, and the power is nice. I don't need to be sold on it.
But, cost of operation is a concern. I won't have the expense of annuals, or any repairs, major or minor since I am an A&P. I can get my IA, and if I don't, I have an IA who I trade favors with. So, fuel, engine overhauls, and other parts that break are my only cash expenses. Yes, I do value my time, but I enjoy working on my own stuff (as long as it's not breaking all the time) so I do not really count my own time as an expense.

LT4247
100+ Posts

Post by LT4247 »

I was thinking the same thing!
Danws wrote:JW. Who is your insurance carrier??
Dan
J.R. Lane
GEORGIA
----------------------------
"I say all that big talk is worth doodly squat"!
- Granny Hawkins

JW

Post by JW »

Nation Air
1988 M6-235 5670T

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Horsepower translates to safety and ability, all else being equal.

Of course it boils down to the essential equation. Power costs money, how much can you afford?

I have a 180 HP fixed pitch. It is a good airplane. With proper technique and a light girlfriend and 1/2 tanks (still plenty of fuel at less than 9 GPH) I can go anywhere I like, albeit fairly slowly.

The airplane was what I could afford and I am happy with it and blessed to have it, and be a part of this community.

I'd recommend a 235 for you, although we live close to one another and fly to similar places.

I like fuel injection a lot, but the price difference is subtstantial (fow a new one at any rate), and I don't know if the increased economy of running LOP (with balanced injectors and a monitor and skill) would amoratize the incresed cost.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

TomD
100+ Posts

Maule vs others

Post by TomD »

On an O-540 you can expect to burn ~ 12 gph, I have heard or much lower for IO-540 but have no experience.

Cost of parts are hugely different between Maule and others. Maule parts, while not cheap, are far less expensive than Cessna and I am guessing others. If you don't do experimental, Maule probably is one of the lower cost, if not lowest cost, birds to maintain.

BD was into simple and that is a very good thing for self maintained birds.

TD

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

The 180HP with CS Prop is a fine airplane. If you go fixed pitched, you need to toss the original Sensenich prop. I've been flying a slightly modified MX7 commercially up here for 12 yrs and wouldn't trade it for a 235 for anything... I routinely fly on floats, 4 adults including pilot, and actually have more legal useful then all the 235's unless you've got a very light one that would be custom built with no options... On wheels I can TO and LND very competitively with the 235, and out perform some, depending upon prop and pilot skills, and believe me, I'm not an extraordinary pilot, just current and know my airplane fairly well. I think most talk of the horsepower crowd, is relating to airspeeds in cruz, and I'm not competitive there at all with a fixed pitch climb prop... Otherwise, I operate for a fraction of the hourly cost, acft is lighter - more nimble, and easier to fly well. I would highly recommend the TW version over the tri-gear version, for out back benefits like greater AOA, and able to slow down more without a tail strike... You also would want the longer most current universal wing. Bottom line, IT ALL DEPENDS UPON YOUR MISSION!! There aren't that many 180's out here, and I seriously doubt that majority on this forum have ever flown in one, judging from comments I routinely see. The 235 and 260 M7's are fine airplanes, but have their limitations as well. I don't need to cruz at 140-150 MPH, up at higher altitudes, as I rarely get above 2500', I stay low and slow, and personally that's the kind of flying I enjoy as I got over being in a hurry many years ago... So again, it really depends upon what you're looking to do and what your mission will be, but from what you described either model would undoubtably work for you...
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

Maulehigh
100+ Posts

Post by Maulehigh »

aero101 wrote:The 180HP with CS Prop is a fine airplane ...
I second that...

Having said that, I'd love a late (long wng) M6-235 :lol:
David
'91 MX-7-180

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

I absolutely love my 180 HP fixed pitch Maule.

I can take off in a few hundred feet and land where I want.

It has a fixed pitch cruise prop, and at 2150 RPM I only burn 5.8 GPH while cruising ~ 100 knots. Insurance for 100K/1M is $808.00 a year.

MXT-7-180A Comet