Tow hook

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

cfiipilot

Tow hook

Post by cfiipilot »

Anyone have a drawing of the tow hook installation for a MX-7. Want to see how much trouble it is to install before I search for one. Also if someone has a used towhook sitting around the hangar, I may be interested in it.
Wayne Sharp
MX-7-180A
(90LA)

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

It's an easy installation, there' a guy in Florida with 2 MX7-180's towing gliders... I used to have his contact, but long since lost... I would think you could probably find him with a little hunting...
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

I agree with Jim. Not a bad installation. Do you know what type of tow hook you have/want? There are 2 major types, Schweitzer and Tost. The Schweitzer is no longer being made and had a couple of AD's with them. If you can find one in decent condition, that is your cheapest way. The Tost is made in Germany and is a better release (read more $). We have both on our TC, so approval is a no brainer. Send me an email and I can fill you in on what you'll need.

Flybrian1950
100+ Posts

Tow Hook for M6/MX7

Post by Flybrian1950 »

I purchased a used Schweitzer tow hook from a another member of this site several years ago. He had removed it after purchase of his plane. It came with 337 paperwork, but only referenced the installation info from the Maule drawings. I requested and Maule sent the drawings.

I installed it on my M6-180, should be the same as the MX7. The only problem was the need to remove the ABW 1 3/4 tailspring and go back to the Orig Maule 1 1/2 spring.

The Maule drawings appear to refer to three different tow hook approaches, including the Schweitzer mount and release, a Maule mount with the Schweitzer release mechanism, and the Tost mount and release. I understood only the Tost was currently available for sale.

Perhaps the Maule drawings could be used to build the mount and I thought I saw replacement Schweitzer release mechanisms for sale on AC Spruce.

My IA was familiar with the older style Schweitzer model and installed it, I can take a photo next time I'm over to the plane and try to post it. I may have a electronic copy of the Maule drawings also. Like some other older drawings, they were somewhat confusing to me. The glider towplane savy IA was able to sort it out.
SN 8020C, The first M6-180 land plane.

Tomkatz
100+ Posts

Post by Tomkatz »

Does the MX7 make a good banner plane?
Tom K.

Flybrian1950
100+ Posts

Banner Towing

Post by Flybrian1950 »

Not sure if the short winged early MX7 would be different, but my M-6-180 with the 32'11" wing spent about 3,000 hours towing banners in its early life, somewhere in Southern Illinois, I assumed that would have been the St. Louis area. They must have liked it, because they shure flew the hell out of it according to the log books.

Flybrian1950
100+ Posts

Tow Hook

Post by Flybrian1950 »

Please PM me with a conventional email address and I can send copies of the earlier 1986 vintage 337 and logbook entry for my Schweitzer hook.

I also have the Maule drawings 3195F RevD, and 3196 RevG (think is the update for use of the ABW/scott TW with the hook). It sounds like Duane at Maule may be your best source for info.

I was unsuccessful trying to post these attachments for Towhook on the site. Any help is appreciated. Brian

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

I don't think the older short wing MX7-180 would be real suitable, but later models work like champ. If you're fixed pitch, you'll need the big long McCauley climb prop, CS- you probably be better with a longer prop as well. The guy in Florida was the first to do the fixed pitched long McCauley and I used his paperwork to justify my first field approval. He had been in contact with Maule regarding adding that prop on TCDS, but factory at that time just no interested, even after he offered to fly up there to let them see the difference and do a pull test... Too bad factory doesn't take more interest as this was the single greatest performance item I did on mine. On floats, calm wind glassy water, warm day, orig Sensinich made for marginal airplane, McCauley Scout prop made TREMENDOUS difference on floats, wheels, and skis....
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

chris.johnson

Post by chris.johnson »

I have the drawings that came with my Schewrietzerqp tow hook. I think it was just an entry in the log book when installed.

cfiipilot

Tow

Post by cfiipilot »

Thanks for all the replies. Just off the phone with Duane, looks like the best way for me is to go with a new Tost setup. Allows me to keep my Bush tailwheel set up. Duane is the best, always ready to get the Maule pilot what he needs.

As to the Maules ability to tow gliders, I personally met a pilot in Mena AR that was towing gliders in Talahina OK with a MX-7-160. Which is where I am considering using my MX-180A
Wayne Sharp
MX-7-180A
(90LA)

cfiipilot

PM

Post by cfiipilot »

aero101 wrote:I don't think the older short wing MX7-180 would be real suitable, but later models work like champ. If you're fixed pitch, you'll need the big long McCauley climb prop, CS- you probably be better with a longer prop as well. The guy in Florida was the first to do the fixed pitched long McCauley and I used his paperwork to justify my first field approval. He had been in contact with Maule regarding adding that prop on TCDS, but factory at that time just no interested, even after he offered to fly up there to let them see the difference and do a pull test... Too bad factory doesn't take more interest as this was the single greatest performance item I did on mine. On floats, calm wind glassy water, warm day, orig Sensinich made for marginal airplane, McCauley Scout prop made TREMENDOUS difference on floats, wheels, and skis....
Sent you a PM
Wayne Sharp
MX-7-180A
(90LA)

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

What other airplane could one own, ask a question on a forum, and get such timely responses including one from the manufacturer?

What an airplane / dedicated group.

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

Quote: Duane is the best

I'm just sucking up to a fellow glider guider. :)

As to Maule's ability to tow, I know that world champion Aussie pilot, Ingo Renner (sp) tows a lot behind a Maule (not sure which model atm). My dad is a very well respected instructor and gliderport operator and says the Maule needs more wing. Not real sure I agree with him there. Maybe the long wing models would suit him. He uses a Scout and a Pawnee in his operation. Quite a few ppl operate the Maule as a towplane including the CAP.

chris.johnson

Post by chris.johnson »

200 Tows with an M5 at 3200 elevation - Just need more oil cooler.

cfiipilot

Post by cfiipilot »

Duane wrote:Quote: Duane is the best

I'm just sucking up to a fellow glider guider. :)

As to Maule's ability to tow, I know that world champion Aussie pilot, Ingo Renner (sp) tows a lot behind a Maule (not sure which model atm). My dad is a very well respected instructor and gliderport operator and says the Maule needs more wing. Not real sure I agree with him there. Maybe the long wing models would suit him. He uses a Scout and a Pawnee in his operation. Quite a few ppl operate the Maule as a towplane including the CAP.
Glider pilots are the real pilots, anybody can fly with an engine keeping them up!
Wayne Sharp
MX-7-180A
(90LA)