radio speaker

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

chris.johnson

radio speaker

Post by chris.johnson »

would a 3 inch speaker in the instrument panel affect the compass?

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Probably as that's a lot of magnetic field. You may be able to compensate it out, but I'd try location first before mounting permanently. Very common up here to see magnetized airframes, can degauze but usually comes back within a few days. Sure can be a pain, and cure is a remote flux valve out in wingtip with remoted compass which would always be another option?
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

I bet it would.

Try placing your headset on the panel and watch your compass. It moves quite a bit.

With that said, I usually set my heading indicator based on the GPS track, although it's possible to imagine an unlikely scenario where the compass would be your only navigation tool.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

chris.johnson

Post by chris.johnson »

You shouldn't need a compass in Fairbanks, you should be able to see the pole sticking up from there.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I believe we have been slighted... By a Texan no less! LOL!

You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

chris.johnson

Post by chris.johnson »

I was there in 1977, if you ordered texas size in the cafe you got a child's plate.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Do we really need a speaker these days? We always have two sets of headphones hanging in the cockpit. I remember being able to operate Part 135 as long as we had "two listening devices". Am planning on removing ours when we do the skylight mod.

st8cop166
100+ Posts

Post by st8cop166 »

crbunit . . .That ain't right. That just ain't right. :lol:
Former Maule owner . . .twice
1960 PA18 N87314

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

gbarrier wrote:Do we really need a speaker these days? We always have two sets of headphones hanging in the cockpit. I remember being able to operate Part 135 as long as we had "two listening devices". Am planning on removing ours when we do the skylight mod.
I do find having one useful now and then. Such as when I'm in my hangar, outside the plane, and just want to turn it on for a minute to listen to the ATIS or traffic in the pattern. Or at a backcountry fly-in, and I want to stand outside the plane and listen to the folks arriving.

chris.johnson

Post by chris.johnson »

I am putting new headliner in and thought about leaving it out or moving it to an extra instrument hole. If I win the lottery and order an M9 the next owner might want a speaker.

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

I'm doing away with mine - ounces make pounds :)

I do like to listen to traffic, but usually have my handheld for that. Just something about leaving my power on when the plane isn't running that bothers me, just a personal thing I suppose.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

pilot wrote: Just something about leaving my power on when the plane isn't running that bothers me, just a personal thing I suppose.
Yeah, certainly not good to do it for very long. Funny; I feel the same about using my handheld. I'm afraid to run it's battery down in case I need it in an emergency;).

chris.johnson

Post by chris.johnson »

My Yeasu handheld has battery pack, AA battery pack and cigar lighter power cord. If I leave my master switch on to listen to traffic it is a guarantee I will forget and have a dead battery the next day.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

speaking of dead batteries do you guys use any trickle type chargers to maintain your battery.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

I use a Battery Tender. Same as on my motorcycles. I think this will really lengthen the life expectancy of my Concorde.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843