STOL Tips

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
usernameguy

STOL Tips

Post by usernameguy »

I am reformatting a bunch of power point presentations to a more informative video format. I wouldn't be so presumptuous to think most of the people here would benefit from it, but the scenery is cool and someone wanting to learn to do this kind of flying might find it helpful.

I would love to here your thoughts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrPJac80 ... G298ClcXUQ

usernameguy

Post by usernameguy »

Oh yea it's really Maule Centric, BTW.

PR

Paul Amstutz

STOL Tips

Post by Paul Amstutz »

Wow! Nice landing at Poison Creek. Makes me wish I were down there flying instead of at lunch break :( Is that shot done from your helicopter camera thing?

How much elevator do you have left through most of the approach? I presume the power at flare gives more.

Below 50mph I see to get the most coordinated turns using just the rudder, with very little aileron for corrections, do you have suggestions in that regard.

I am sure I will have more questions but I have to get back to work and that is going to be hard.

Tomkatz
100+ Posts

Post by Tomkatz »

Great video, Well done! I look forward to the next one.
Tom K.

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Excellent video. Thank you.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

wtxdragger
100+ Posts

Post by wtxdragger »

Patrick, that is a great video.

I have been practicing the same approach in my new Maule. This helped me tie it all together. I am not quite confident down to 40 mph yet, which is causing a bit of float on transition to ground.

I have also been wondering about prop control during my practice sessions. If making short patterns, do you leave prop at full or pulled back.

Thanks
Mercifully Free from the Ravages of Intelligence
1989 M7-235 N90KD
1975 T210L N1675X
2022 CCK-1865 N922UM

https://www.instagram.com/wtxdragger/

MauleMechanic
100+ Posts

Post by MauleMechanic »

wtxdragger wrote:I have also been wondering about prop control during my practice sessions. If making short patterns, do you leave prop at full or pulled back. Thanks
The purpose of prop pitch is to do what?

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

Another nicely done vid. Keep 'em coming.

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Assuming the Maule is like other C/S planes I've flown the prop is forward (fine pitch, high RPM) on landing. This way full power is available for a go-around and the flat pitch drives the engine and helps slow the plane on descent.

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

I have practiced and found that the steepest approach and best way to save a too high approach is power back, flaps down, nose up and wait. I use 55 MPH but I'm sure it can be flown 45-50 just as well.

The attitude takes some getting used to but the sink angle is excellent.

Just remember to add some airspeed by lowering the nose once over the fence to get energy for the flare. Or a hit of power, well timed, will work.

I suppose if a maximum performance short landing is needed just flare and accept the thump. You'll be slow and on target.

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

51598Rob
100+ Posts

Post by 51598Rob »

I think it would be prudent to add some margin to the airspeeds suggested in the video. In our backcountry, we get sinkers, wind gusts and every other adverse condition that could make that pretty airplane a scrap pile! You might try adding a safe margin of speed and then bleeding it off with a sufficient flair to get you in a landing attitude and then sticking the wheels (and therefore brakes) to the ground by loosing the flaps at touchdown. This will make for a shorter ground roll, netting the same result, but much safer. If I were going to land my airplane in the trees, or rocks after an engine failure, I would be on the edge of a stall the whole way down. The end result will be the scrap pile anyway. But no planned landing needs to be as risky as the video suggests no matter what the strip length. But what do I know. I fly a short wing and long prop that loves to get down quick!
Let Freedom Prevail

51598Rob
100+ Posts

Post by 51598Rob »

As an after thought though, I too liked the presentation! Can't wait for the next.
Let Freedom Prevail

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

That was fabulous. I've been struggling with full flap, slow approaches in my Maule MX7-180. If I don't add a fair amount of power on the descent, my sink rate gets really high and the flare doesn't arrest it. I've done some terrifying bounces playing around with lower power settings and slow approach speed with full flaps. I can grease it on with more speed and a bit of power on the approach and just 40 degrees of flaps rather than the full 48 degrees. As the video indicates, that configuration results in a fair amount of float time in ground effect, making pinpoint landings impossible. On a 1500 foot grass strip that configuration is fine, but it wouldn't work with an 800' strip. I can also make an acceptable short landing by hanging on the prop with a fair amount more power during a slow approach. With about 1500 - 1600 RPM, my sink rate drops down to a manageable 200 - 300 fpm. The problem with dragging it in with power is the pickle it would put me in if I ever lost the engine on short final while I still had trees under me. I'd love to go flying with another Maule driver that could demonstrate the proper balance of speed and power to accomplish a steep approach without hanging on the prop and without bouncing like a super ball.
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

riverbuggy
100+ Posts

Post by riverbuggy »

Way cool video. Thanks for sharing! I loved staring at that ASI and seeing the needle pegged right where you wanted it. Looks like you glued it to the dial. I dream about this kind of flying, I think I'm too old, and too chicken.
That being the case keep the video's coming.
Ray
1970 M4-220C N2056U

Loogie
100+ Posts

Post by Loogie »

Where do I get one of those AOA indexers for the Maule? Who sells them? I thought only Fighters had them, they are very useful; they help you set the right aoa regardless of weight. Depending on load the airspeed can vary significantly, but the aoa will always be correct, love those things!
Loogie