Landing on Roads

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
msorense

Landing on Roads

Post by msorense »

I'm awfully tempted to land on this rural public road and pull off to the side - see second pic.

The road is located about 1/4 mi inland off a beautiful part central California coast. No other public airport for miles. It's perfectly safe as long as you clear the power lines that go across behind where photo was taken. It is a dead end road with only three properties that it goes to - i.e. little to no traffic. All the surrounding ranch land is fenced off and definitely private property.

From my understanding the FAA doesn't specifically forbid airplanes from landing on roads. They can however cite you for operating in an unsafe manner. I would feel perfectly safe and confident landing here in a low wind condition. What do you guys think?
Last edited by msorense on Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

Look both ways first, who's to know? :wink:

BillB

Post by BillB »

Is this what they mean by IFR?

msorense

Post by msorense »

I did come across this just now:

California Public Utilities Code Section 21662.1:
(b) The landing, takeoff, or taxiing of an aircraft on a public freeway, highway, road, or street is unlawful except in the following cases:
(1) A forced landing.
(2) A landing during a natural disaster or other public emergency if the landing has received prior approval from the public agency having primary jurisdiction over traffic upon the freeway, highway, road, or street.
(3) When the landing, takeoff, or taxiing has received prior approval from the public agency having primary jurisdiction over traffic upon the freeway, highway, road or street. The prosecution bears the burden of proving that none of the exceptions apply to the act which is alleged to be unlawful.

So it's illegal - not a surprise. Question then is what is the penalty? Is it worse than a speeding ticket? Anybody been cited for doing something like this? I would stay one day at the most - maybe just a few hours. Maybe I could get away with it.

Maybe I could land on the road without anybody seeing me and then say that I landed on the grass and never touched the road. Is there something against that? I would land in the grass but I can't be 100% sure there is not something there unless I was on the ground ahead of time. Too risky for me. But after landing I could taxi for 100 yds or so to make it look like I did land in the grass.

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

Do you work for the FAA?
MXT-7-180A Comet

Loogie
100+ Posts

Post by Loogie »

Don't forget that if the tires have lead, they are not allowed to touch CA either. The residue might affect the ecosystem and the state taxes will have to be raised to 14% vs 13% 8)
Loogie

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

shock:
Last edited by MauleWacko on Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

grass looks good to me.....bear in mind , on another site FAA types read this shit..,.and guys have spoken about faux pas they have committed and been busted...
Iceman

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

:shock:

chris.johnson

Post by chris.johnson »

Touch and Go

msorense

Post by msorense »

Do you work for the FAA?
No but my brother actually does. He is in airport maintenance though.

I'm certainly not trying to attract attention - would like to slip in unnoticed without a first low pass.

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

It could be that the FAA won't care but Johnny Law will. :?

On the other hand there is no one there to hassle you, a quick aerial reconn will demonstrate that. :P

On the third hand, this is the PRK we are talking about. :x

What probably happened, is that you were flying over this road, safe and legal and happy when you felt a roughness in your engine and thought you caught a fluctuating oil pressure out of the corner of your eye. Rather than risk harm to anyone on the ground you wisely sought a safe place to make a precautionaly landing to allow the motor to cool and check your oil level. After confirming everything is safe, you depart rather than have to inconvienence anyone in having to come out and help you. Better yet you save the planet by keeping a police vehicle from burning fuel enroute to visit you.

Everybody wins.

The same technique works on islands in the Columbia River... :wink:
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

You could talk with one of the property owners. If you get permission to land on private property the law has nothing to say about it. Then take the property owner for a ride!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

51598Rob
100+ Posts

Post by 51598Rob »

Get permission from the private land owners, and don't worry about the rest.
Let Freedom Prevail

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

That's best but its hard to find out who the owners are much of the time...
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843