New Maule Owner!

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
Loogie
100+ Posts

New Maule Owner!

Post by Loogie »

Hello Maulepilots org! I look forward to your wise advise on my new to me Maule MX-7-180, it is an 86 model that was completely restored by a gentleman just south of ATL. 773MC is a gem of an a/c (no bias :wink: ) he took care of this a/c very very well. I have a fair amount of TW time but not in a Maule. Will be building my experience with it and enjoying my lifelong dream of owning a cool a/c like this. I have to find a name for it, off course she is a "she". Open to suggestions:)

I am a just retired fighter pilot of 28 years in the USAF, flew my whole career, my new day job is AA First Officer, and my hobby has been towing gliders from a Pawnee and Citabria.

VR
Loogie
Loogie

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

congrats :D
I just got one too!
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

Congratulations on your new bird!

Where are you based for AA and on what equipment?

I am based in the ever shrinking base of BOS.
MXT-7-180A Comet

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Congratulations. :D

Now that you are an owner any problems you may have has with excess time or money are solved! :lol:

We are waiting for pictures, BTW. :wink:
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

Congratz Loogie. Thank you for your service and where do you tow gliders?

Loogie
100+ Posts

Post by Loogie »

Duane wrote:Congratz Loogie. Thank you for your service and where do you tow gliders?
I tow and fly them at Tidewater Soaring, they have their own field at 3VA, south of Smithfield VA.
Loogie

Loogie
100+ Posts

Post by Loogie »

MAU MAU wrote:Congratulations on your new bird!

Where are you based for AA and on what equipment?

I am based in the ever shrinking base of BOS.
I will be based at DC on the 737, back to training 25 Jan, been on MLOA for a while so I need to figure things out again...
Loogie

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Congratulations and welcome to the forum, Loogie. I also own a 1986 MX-7-180 that has been restored.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Loogie
100+ Posts

Post by Loogie »

Andy, looks like you are a little over 2 hours away, not sure where you base your plane, would like to pick your brain about the airplane and maybe fly mine there to visit in the future.
Loogie

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

Welcome aboard Loogie. I'm another relatively new MX7 owner. I got my 2002 MX7-180C in June. I flew it back from Seattle to my home in Manassas, VA. My plane is now based on an uncharted airpark in Summit Point, West Virginia.

I don't see any public strips in Smithfield. Are you hangared at one of the private fields around there ( Aberdeen, or Garner)? Friday is looking like good weather and I'll be out knocking around. I might make a run down that way.

By the way, what's the story behind your nickname?
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I'm based at 9A9 in Marion NC, Loogie. It's a small public grass airport at the base of the mountains in western NC about 35 miles east of Asheville. I'd be happy to talk about my Maule experiences. I've owned this airplane for 15 years.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Tomkatz
100+ Posts

Post by Tomkatz »

Welcome and congratulations Loogie. I too am the proud owner of a MX7 180B. I'm looking at a possible Mid-Atlantic Maule Round up at Essex Skypark (W48). Great access to the Chesapeake bay and great beach runs up the Atlantic.
Tom K.
Tom K.

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

Good deal. I flew and instructed at Ridge Soaring in Pa for a while.

Loogie
100+ Posts

Post by Loogie »

Flyhound wrote:Welcome aboard Loogie. I'm another relatively new MX7 owner. I got my 2002 MX7-180C in June. I flew it back from Seattle to my home in Manassas, VA. My plane is now based on an uncharted airpark in Summit Point, West Virginia.

I don't see any public strips in Smithfield. Are you hangared at one of the private fields around there ( Aberdeen, or Garner)? Friday is looking like good weather and I'll be out knocking around. I might make a run down that way.

By the way, what's the story behind your nickname?
Congrats on your aircraft as well! Plane is hangared at KAKQ Wakefield, west of Smithfield. I wish I could use Aberdeen, I am their neighbor!

Reason behind my nickname? It is an Air Force call sign, we dont call each other by our first names, we usually get named by committee when we are Lt's. Now how I got that call sign is classified :D
Loogie

Loogie
100+ Posts

Post by Loogie »

Tomkatz wrote:Welcome and congratulations Loogie. I too am the proud owner of a MX7 180B. I'm looking at a possible Mid-Atlantic Maule Round up at Essex Skypark (W48). Great access to the Chesapeake bay and great beach runs up the Atlantic.
Tom K.
Sounds great, looking forward to it!
Loogie