Fuel Issue... Help....

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

JimD

Fuel Issue... Help....

Post by JimD »

I have been chasing fuel leaks, drips, downpours for about a month.
I finally replaced the electric boost pump and that solved the major leak.
I still have an intermittent slow drip at the fuel drain on the bottom of the plane and i will fix that with either an o ring or replace it all together. But now i have zero pressure at the primer. I pump and pump and pump and it never builds up any pressure and never sends any fuel to the cylinders. I also notice that while on the ground with the engine not running if i push the throttle lever in fuel dumps out the bottom, through the clear drain tube in the center of the plane against the firewall. Which by the way is right in front of the mufflers - scary... I assume that is not normal but if it is, i never noticed it before. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am at my wits end with these fuel issues.
Jim D
1984 M5-180C

So I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

You have probably lost all the fuel out of the primer line and pump. This would probably be a good time for some maint on it. Suggest remove nut which holds primer in panel just under knob. Then the piston assy will pull out. Inspect packings and if in good shape, take a little fuel lube and wipe around whole piston assy working into and around packings. With piston removed, turn on fuel selector, which should eventually get you some fuel coming out of primer line. Shut off selector valve, reinstall piston assy, pump until you feel resistance of fuel back in primer pump and I'd do a couple of starts utilizing primer and viola, it should work till next time.

The center clear fuel drain hose should run to bottom of airbox assy? If so this is airbox drain hose which will drain excess fuel if you pump the throttle lever from carb accelerator pump. If fuel runs constantly you've probably got a malfunctioning float / float valve. If it leaks just when throttle is pumped this is normal. If you pump throttle while cranking engine this fuel will be sucked up into engine... Good luck! :lol:
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

JimD

Post by JimD »

Would EZ Turn Lubricant be ok for the primer lube?
Thanks for the response.
Jim D
1984 M5-180C

So I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Fuel Lube is only thing that will last for any period of time.. I use tube shown is this add, will last forever as it only takes a bit... EZ turn it is!!

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/c ... rnlube.php
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Hold the Essex primer body from the back side of the panel and remove the knurled nut on the front side without turning the primer body. You'll be able to pull the plunger out to inspect and lubricate the two o-rings. Check for debris in the primer cylinder. Coat the two o-rings with DC-4 or Parker O-Lube (that's what I use) and coat the plunger as well. You may have to replace the o-rings. The primer should work properly without leaking after that.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

JimD

Post by JimD »

Thanks for the help. Tried it today and now it works perfectly. Learn something new everyday.
Jim D
1984 M5-180C

So I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Great! :D
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843