Texas Maule Flying

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
chip25

Texas Maule Flying

Post by chip25 »

I am an Air Traffic Controller at SAT and I am looking for someone in the area that would like to go flying in their Maule(tailwheel) so I can build some Maule time for insurance purposes. I plan to purchase within the 3-5yr time frame. Would love to share stories and information from the ATC and Pilot side, plus you can save some of your flying expenses by splitting it with me :lol:

I have my tailwheel endorsement in a M5-235, that I got from Rick Geiger in CTB, Montana.
~Chip
"Wishing you blue sky and soft landings"

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

I am not in your immediate area but will let you know if I head that direction. I am hoping some of your ATC stories will make me feel better about some of my less than stellar interactions with ATC.

chip25

Post by chip25 »

Sounds like a plan Andrew :D
~Chip

Stinger
100+ Posts

Re: Texas Maule Flying

Post by Stinger »

chip25 wrote:I am an Air Traffic Controller at SAT and I am looking for someone in the area that would like to go flying in their Maule(tailwheel) so I can build some Maule time for insurance purposes. I plan to purchase within the 3-5yr time frame. Would love to share stories and information from the ATC and Pilot side, plus you can save some of your flying expenses by splitting it with me :lol:

I have my tailwheel endorsement in a M5-235, that I got from Rick Geiger in CTB, Montana.
I'm a controller in Billings, Montana, and will be moving down to Corpus Christi in January for ATC. I've been looking at Maules for the last year and am thinking of buying one. I grew up in Cut Bank and the Geiger's have been family friends for years so I've gone flying with Rick a couple times.

I just got an insurance quote for an M6-235 provided I get my tailwheel endorsement and 20ish hours of Maule time, of about $3100 a year. I'd love to split some time and I'll probably message you when I'm down in Texas.

chip25

Re: Texas Maule Flying

Post by chip25 »

Stinger wrote:
chip25 wrote:I am an Air Traffic Controller at SAT and I am looking for someone in the area that would like to go flying in their Maule(tailwheel) so I can build some Maule time for insurance purposes. I plan to purchase within the 3-5yr time frame. Would love to share stories and information from the ATC and Pilot side, plus you can save some of your flying expenses by splitting it with me :lol:

I'm a controller in Billings, Montana, and will be moving down to Corpus Christi in January for ATC. I've been looking at Maules for the last year and am thinking of buying one. I grew up in Cut Bank and the Geiger's have been family friends for years so I've gone flying with Rick a couple times.

I just got an insurance quote for an M6-235 provided I get my tailwheel endorsement and 20ish hours of Maule time, of about $3100 a year. I'd love to split some time and I'll probably message you when I'm down in Texas.
Well glad to see another fellow controller interested in getting a Maule. I am in the process of finding someone to build a hangar on my property, then next step is making a landing strip, and finally finding a Maule to buy, so I am still about 4 years out from hopeful plane ownership.

I hope to get some more Maule time soon, I hope to go back and see Rick sometime next year and get some more time. Have not had much luck finding anyone around the area that uses a Maule that one could get dual in.

Glad to see the insurance rates are still somewhat reasonable for low Maule time pilots. May I ask who that was through?

Keep in touch, hopefully one day we will both have a Maule, and will get to meet up at a fly-in or something.
~Chip

Stinger
100+ Posts

Post by Stinger »

I talked to Falcon insurance in Arizona, and they sent my information on to the underwriters. The first quote was probably just Falcon themselves for $5300, then the next day they sent another email including a quote for $3100 from Aerospace Insurance Managers. I've got about 60 hours, no tailwheel, and just started flying again this year with friends after not flying since 2007 when I got my private license.

There's another controller here in Billings that was selected for SAT. He's supposed to be down there in March or April.

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

:roll:
Last edited by MauleWacko on Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chip25

Insurance and Texas Maule Time

Post by chip25 »

Thanks for the info, I will keep that for the future.

Get in touch when y'all make it to Texas. There is a Maule fly-in in May, I think it will be the third year next year if they do it, in Llano, TX. I wanted to go up this year, but was unable to make it.

What is the person's name that is coming to SAT? But the important question, when did they get in the agency?...
~Chip

Stinger
100+ Posts

Post by Stinger »

MauleWacko wrote:Best rate I found for my m7 was under $1,400 per year for 90K hull. I sold it, and the new owner with no tw time got it for 90K at $2100 or $2400 a year. It was with a company in Hamilton Montana . Mountain air insurance 406 363-1411 . I used them on several different airplane's and my current one. :roll:
Dang, I need to call them up. Did he have a good chunk of total time?
chip25 wrote:Thanks for the info, I will keep that for the future.

Get in touch when y'all make it to Texas. There is a Maule fly-in in May, I think it will be the third year next year if they do it, in Llano, TX. I wanted to go up this year, but was unable to make it.

What is the person's name that is coming to SAT? But the important question, when did they get in the agency?...
Definitely will!
His name is Tim H. He's pretty new, started around February or March of 2012. So probably FAA wise would be a couple months before that including the Academy. He was one of the quicker checkouts here, didn't really struggle on any position.

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

:shock:
Last edited by MauleWacko on Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chip25

Post by chip25 »

:lol: Ok, good I will pick days off ahead of him!
~Chip

Njacko
100+ Posts

Post by Njacko »

Chip,
Don't know if this works elsewhere, but here in the (more or less) United Kingdom a large part of GA insurance cost is for passenger liability. My insurer offered a significantly reduced premium for a maximum of 3 POB.
ATB, Peter.
MX-7-180 N280SA