My story of the newest M6, N3448Q

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
multimauler

My story of the newest M6, N3448Q

Post by multimauler »

I have had many of you ask about our new M6. So here is the story of N3448Q

We have had a MXT-180A for a couple of years. My son and I have enjoyed many great trips in it and both he (22) and my daughter (20) got their pilot's license in it. It's been an awesome plane and my daughter continues to build time in it. I feel very comfortable with her flying it and she loves it.

When I bought it, I only had about 100 hours and didn't think I was ready for the tail wheel. But ever since, my son and I have dreamed about going all the way with a Maule. We wanted the real deal, a tail dragger on Alaska Bush Wheels! We constantly watched videos of some guy who calls himself lameusernameguy! Can you believe that? I bet no one else does that! Ha!

So this spring we started the search for a tail wheel maule. We knew we wanted the 235 (love that hp), and the longer wing. But we really liked the profile of the old M6 which was the same as our MXT. So we started our nightly barnstormer.com, trade-a-plane.com search evaluating every used Maule in the country. And then I made my first big mistake. I called Rautgunde at Maule flight. I had some questions about features and specs on some of the older M6 planes and I told her how we were looking to find a great used Maule to put ABW's new extended gear on it and 31's. That's when she went into sales mode.

So the story of the new M6 began. She began telling me that there was a plane in production at the factory that they were in a position to make me a very good deal on, and I took the bait. But I asked, "What's the catch?" You guys remember in 2011 when the storm came through Sun and Fun and damaged several,aircraft? Maules brand new MX-180 was one of them.

Another airplane was blown into it and the left wing and tail section were damaged. That plane was put on a trailer and hauled back to Moultrie where it was completely disassembled. The customer it was sold to prior to the show, basically just took the next MX-180 off the line and the engine and avionics and interior from the damaged plane were all used. So there sat what was left. Really just an uncovered tube fuselage.

I would then say that the need for cash flow then inspired an idea at Maule Air. That's my take anyway. Rautgunde quickly handed the phone over to Brent and he proceeded to tell me his vision. He was not surprised that I was looking for an M6. He believed that plane is really what made Maule famous. And more and more buyers were calling looking for that profile in a 235 horse that was lighter and outfitted for the way people want to use them these days (meaning just cool looking with a GoPro mounted on the strut so we could think we were Bushwhacker! Lol) He invited us to the shop to see the plane in production. I figured, what the heck, how cool would it be to go to the factory? After all, its not like I was committed to buy a new plane. Ha! (word of advice, don't go to the factory if you really love Maules!) so I cashed in Aadvantage miles for my son and I and off we went.

We began our tour with Brent and he took us back to where there sat a freshly covered fuselage with the avionics guys beginning to install the new panel.

Then he took and showed us the wings that would go on the M6. It was the actual prototype set that they used to test and develop the new M9 wing with a 2800lb gross. I thought that was great even though this plane wouldn't get the actual 2800 lb rating. After he showed us the brand new Lycoming IO 540 still in its crate he then topped off the presentation with a computer generated drawing of his idea for the paint scheme.
I think that's when my son and I were hooked. We loved the yellow and white paint and thought the idea for the digital camo stripe created with little Maule airplanes was amazing. My son and I suggested adding a black leading edge when Brent said we should black out the struts and gear. The new drawing printed out and I knew we were about to commit to coolest Maule we had ever seen.

We then started talking about how we wanted the panel. Brent's original idea was to have only the required instruments (tack, airspeed indicator, and vertical speed indicator) and to use the Garmin 796. This would keep the plane light. I liked the idea for that reason but knew this would be a plane my son and I would fly all over the country. So we added gauges to complete the 6 pack, upgraded to the awesome JPI 930 for engine gauges and then chose a single garmin SL 30 and glide slope head to make the plane minimally IFR capable, just in case (proved worthwhile on our first landing after leaving the factory. 900' overcast).

We settled on a price and headed back home trying figure out how we were going to learn to fly a tail dragger. Or should I say land one. I was fortunate to have a small flight school at my home airport that had just put a Citabria in the fleet. I knocked out my endorsement and had 10 hours and 100 landings in a couple weeks. My son was out at college and couldn't find the same opportunity. I remembered seeing an ad on Barnstormers for a guy in Montana that offered Maule transition training. I called him and set my son up to go to Cut Bank, Montana and fly for a week. That turned out to be an amazing situation and Rick Gieger of Montana by Air was amazing. He flies an older M6-235 with ABW 31's, exactly the setup we would soon have.

He makes his living with that plane every day flying pipelines and tracking wildlife for the forest service. Cade got his endorsement and over 100 landings in all kinds of conditions never once landing on a runway. It was an amazing experience that I highly recommend. I actually got to go up the last day and fly with Rick half the day.

So know all we had to do know was wait. Brent did a great job of sending us pics as the plane moved through each stage of production.

We originally thought it was going to be ready for the Texas Maule fly in on Mothers Day but soon realized that it was going to be July. Brent was so excited about how the plane was coming together he asked if we would be willing to let him use our new M6 as the display in their booth at Oshkosh. We were so excited. We had never been and this was our chance. As Oshkosh approached the schedule got tighter and tighter and we were afraid the plane wasn't going to be ready. But all the amazing folks at Maule and also a ton of last minute help from David Wright (lived up
to his reputation) pulled off the impossible.

To get the plane in Maules booth at Oshkosh, we had to leave Saturday morning early. The plane was finished at 6:30 the night before. My son and I got in a total of 5 landings with Ray Maule that Friday evening and they handed us the key to factory so we could come in early Saturday morning, pull the plane out and depart for Oshkosh. It was unreal. Five landings! I know what you are thinking, but the two days we waited around the factory we were fortunate to be able to fly many hours with Ray Maule himself in his personal M4-180.

My son and I are so proud to have his signature in our log books. He is an amazing man, and so is everyone else at Maule including his son Brent, his wife Rautgunde, his brother David (the humble, soft spoken CEO of Maule Air Inc.) and all the staff. Every employee at Maule even signed an awesome backpack that Brent got for us as a gift to use for a survival kit!

There was no way that plane was going to be ready without everyone going the extra mile, including a man named Stephen DaCosta from the Atlanta FSDO who personally came down and spent all day helping with the paperwork so he could sign the Airworthiness Certificate.

So that's it. We were now the proud new owners of N3448Q, the coolest, best looking Maule my son and I have ever seen. On our way to camp out at Oshkosh for 9 days.

The M6 was in pretty good company while on display!

That is actually the short version. There are a dozen really cool stories I could tell within that story, but let's just end it by saying we may be the biggest Maule fans in the world. I hope you enjoy the post. I'll try to post more on week in Oshkosh. It was one of the best weeks I have ever spent with my son where I was fortunate to meet many Maule owners from around the world.
David
2007 C182T
2011 M6-235
1965 PA-18-150

NZMaule

Post by NZMaule »

Excellent pictorial story multimauler. I was wondering who's machine that was going to be after seeing a few internet photos of it on the ramp in various threads.
Get use to it then fly it like you stole it!! You and your kids are going to have a blast in that machine :D

highroad

Post by highroad »

Awesome, and thanks for sharing the story. I was also wondering who was the owner of this awesome machine and if they were part of our backcountry community.

Really like the vision of this M6, as it is very similar to my maule x-ray, with the light fuse and long wing etc. and it is really cool to see a new one!

Congrats and enjoy that machine. My Maule still does things that blow my mind and make me giggle in my headset :oops:

Ozy

Post by Ozy »

Great story and fantastic outcome, enjoy that little wheel at the back and the big ones at the front.
M5 235
Old age is a privilege not a right

JimD

Post by JimD »

Awesome airplane.
Love the paint scheme.
Jim D
1984 M5-180C

So I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

I think your plane is simply amazing, but what I truly value in your excellent story is the family bonding that this craft created between you and your son.

While the construction of a personal aircraft is a complicated and time consuming adventure, the building of a quality relationship between a father and son is something that requires so much more.

You have accomplished this David, and I give you and your beautiful wife much credit.

Wishing you only the best with your unique and amazing aircraft, and may God continue to bless you and your wonderful family.

Best.................Rob
MXT-7-180A Comet

LT4247
100+ Posts

Post by LT4247 »

Great story! If you have not already, you should post the whole story here:

http://www.backcountrypilot.org

Those folks would love it! Congrats on your new M6.
J.R. Lane
GEORGIA
----------------------------
"I say all that big talk is worth doodly squat"!
- Granny Hawkins

Beamerpilot
100+ Posts

Post by Beamerpilot »

Great story to go with a great airplane.
As for Rick Gieger from Montana Air, I agree, I went for recurrent Maule training with him after more than 10 years off tail-wheels, amazing is the word!

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

I Like it. :D
What is the empty weight and what did the wingspan end up being ?

Beamerpilot
100+ Posts

Post by Beamerpilot »

I noticed the landing light on 33X, is that a special install or just a bulb replacement?
Possibly going to get a lot of questions on this A/C...

Beamerpilot
100+ Posts

Post by Beamerpilot »

Oops...change that to 48Q

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Great story and photos!

I remember seeing a B-29 on static display at Offutt AFB back in the 60's. I remember thinking how big it was and wondering how in the world something that size could fly.... And then I saw the B-36 sitting beside it! Saw my first SR-71 fly there. Guess there has to be some reward for living in the Great Plains!

I've seen Fifi fly several times. I can't imagine how much that things costs to keep in the air but I'm glad they are doing it! We stopped at a little air museum outside the Grand Canyon a few years ago. They are gathering parts to build a a B-50. Talk about a project!! Your bird looks good in that company!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Wonderful story beautifully illustrated and told. A real pleasure to read. I hope you and your family enjoy that pretty plane (yellow is the fastest color, BTW) for many decades to come. :D
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

Great story and great pictures. Keep living the good Maule life and keep posting. It will be fun to follow the adventures your family will have in this plane for years to come. Any chance that you'll be back at the Maule factory fly in this November?
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

multimauler

Post by multimauler »

Hey guys, Thanks for all the kind words regarding my post and our new M6.
Answers to some of your questions.
Empty weight is 1670 lbs. 830 useful load
I think Wing is same dimensions as any of the M7's or M9's. Various spars and ribs are beefed up on the M9 version. My wing was the prototype for the M9. A couple of changes were made after my wing to make the final M9 wing a 3100lb wing. I don't think it's going to certify at that but I do think ultimately the M9 will even be more than the 2800 lb GW now stated.
The landing lights and strobes are new LED Whelen's. I think they have recently been approved for the Maule. I really like them. I want to figure out how to make them pulse.
And yes, I will be at the Maule flyin. Can't wait.
David
2007 C182T
2011 M6-235
1965 PA-18-150