Starting a warm O 540 MX-7-235 on EDO 2440 s

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

wakeflyboy

Starting a warm O 540 MX-7-235 on EDO 2440 s

Post by wakeflyboy »

My O540 Starts perfect everytime. I give it 5 or 6 primes, throttle about a 1/4 inch about 2 swings of the prop starts right up. Except when it warm. If I stop to give someone a ride I will just shut it off with the ignition instead of idle cut off. If I do that it starts right back up. If I shut it off with idle cut off it does not like to restart. And another thing I have a new Gill battery and my starter turns very slowly sometimes will stop in the compression stage when hot.----Question is How is everyone starting a warm 0540 Mix lean? mix rich? And does everyone elses o540 swing that slow when starting. When my buddy starts his cirrus you can barely see the prop it spins so fast?

chris.johnson

Post by chris.johnson »

if it is a Gill gel battery get it changed. the shelf life is 6 months. I bought one that had been on the shelf for 11 months would barley turn fast enough to start. warranty not much good but new battery works good

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

How old is the starter.
May be time for new lightweight high speed unit.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

RT
100+ Posts

Post by RT »

Check cables and conections. I put a new lightweight starter on because of slow cranking and the new one cranked just as slow. I started trouble shooting and found the cable at the selenoid was loose.
RT

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Could be any of above... or starter solenoid... An excessively high resistance in any of the starting components will be the culprit... It can get expensive just throwing parts at it!! Good electrical guy could probably run it down for you in short order?
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

wakeflyboy

Post by wakeflyboy »

My starter is from 1986 when the airplane was new. And the airplane and engine only have 480 hours total time. Still have not come up with anything. I have jump started the airplane with my truck and the prop swings quickly. Thats what make me think I need a higher capacity battery. But the battery I have is the certified battery. Do starters get slow as they get old. I have always thought when they died they did not spin. Who know???????

wakeflyboy

Post by wakeflyboy »

Thanks alot for you inputs!

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Often with time depending on environment, the cable strands can incorporate dirt and corrosion and not transmit full current.
Yes, starters can also develope resistance as can the solenoids.
Jim's suggestion of resistance troubleshooting is probably the efficient route to go.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Do you fly in the rain much? I've had my starter get full of water, which contributed to the brushes turning to mush, among other problems. It still worked, but not very well. Slow cranking, sometimes just clicking and not cranking at all. Worn out brushes can do that, even it wasn't due to water incursion.

RT
100+ Posts

Post by RT »

oddysey battery is the way to get away from the not so good airplane batterys. They are certified in a cub so can be used in other aircraft. May need a field approval, depending on location. Yours and the batterys.
RT