XM radio in flight

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
sbmaule

XM radio in flight

Post by sbmaule »

Thinking about inflight entertainment.
Plane is wired already, currently using an Ipod and plugging into the comm system with 1/8" plug.
Found an Iphone compatible dock with XM app. to convert an Iphone to Cirrus XM reciever.
Anyone have any experience with XM? work in a plane?

$50 for the hardware + XM subscription

D.

brokenaero
100+ Posts

Post by brokenaero »

I've used XM radio on my 396 plugged into my audio panel. Worked great!
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; and that His justice cannot sleep forever.-- T. Jefferson

sbmaule

Post by sbmaule »

Unfortunatly I bought the 695, non XM compatible

brokenaero
100+ Posts

Post by brokenaero »

Can't you plug your adapted Iphone into your audio panel? Or get a headset with 1/8" female plug and pipe it right into your headset.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; and that His justice cannot sleep forever.-- T. Jefferson

rjb
100+ Posts

Post by rjb »

I reactivated my Sirius XM weather for flying to Oshkosh and back. I paid $69 for the month to get lightning which the $39 monthly doesn't give you. I think music which my older receiver doesn't handle (although Sirius has previously tried to add it on) is $14 per month more.

I have a Barron mobile link which will send WIFI to an IPad or an Iphone (only one link at a time). (I thought it would do multiple and I took most of the trip to figure out that wasn't the case)

The receiver was mounted up by the skylight. Our experience was that it often seemed not to pick up the radar information when we were 1000 AGL and a celluar connection was more likely to get us info.

LT4247
100+ Posts

Post by LT4247 »

Sure, do it all the time. Velcro the XM mount/base onto the shelf near the power outlet. Splice a short wire to plug into audio panel port right above it (assuming you have it) and put the antenna on the dash. Wahla! Instant xm music. Wife loves it.
Can be removed in 10 seconds....
sbmaule wrote: Anyone have any experience with XM? work in a plane?

D.
J.R. Lane
GEORGIA
----------------------------
"I say all that big talk is worth doodly squat"!
- Granny Hawkins

Brenton C
100+ Posts

Post by Brenton C »

Are you . . . Serius?

(Yuk yuk yuk)

sbmaule

Post by sbmaule »

Yep...sirrus!

Ordered a XM "Skydock" today. Plug it into the power recepticle (cig lighter), dock an I phone to it, plug into audio panel

My only concern was antenna, supposed to attach to the roof of the car with magnet.. Hmm....I'm assuming the dash will do based on LT's experience.

Stay tuned...

Thanks

D.

LT4247
100+ Posts

Post by LT4247 »

I put a square male velcro on the bottom of the little ant so it grips the carpet like dash better. Put it up next to the windscreen at about 2 oclock and it wont affect the compass. You need some photos?
sbmaule wrote:Yep...sirrus!

Ordered a XM "Skydock" today. Plug it into the power recepticle (cig lighter), dock an I phone to it, plug into audio panel

My only concern was antenna, supposed to attach to the roof of the car with magnet.. Hmm....I'm assuming the dash will do based on LT's experience.

Stay tuned...

Thanks

D.
J.R. Lane
GEORGIA
----------------------------
"I say all that big talk is worth doodly squat"!
- Granny Hawkins

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I have a Garmin GPSMAP 396 with XM Aviator weather subscription. For a while I had XM Radio with it but decided it was too distracting and discontinued the radio part. My intercom doesn't have an input for audio but my LightSpeed Zulu.2 headset is paired with my iPhone's Bluetooth and gets music or audiobooks just fine. If I ever decide to re-activate the XM Radio, the 396 has a headphone output that will plug into my LightSpeed Zulu headset power module with the cable they provide. Another alternative would be to up the cellular data to unlimited and get XM radio through the iPhone.

I fabricated a RAM mount for my GXM40 XM antenna that connects to the 396. I exchanged the original GXM30 with magnet base for a GXM40 without the magnet a couple of years ago. The magnet messes up the compass on the glare shield even from a few feet away. Watch the compass while you're holding the GXM30 outside the cockpit and gradually bring it into the glare shield area. RAM makes a thin but strong XM antenna mount that sandwiches between the diamond ball and 396 cradle. I coil up the excess cable and tie wrap it between the 396 and GXM40. The whole thing mounts to a RAM suction cup mount over on the copilot side and plugs into a 12-vdc accessory jack on the panel. Does seem to have any noticeable effect on the compass.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

I have panel mounted 396 (Air Gizmo dock) with XM and I like it. You can also pay extra for weather.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843