Convert an MX7-160 to 180hp

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
Wyflyer
100+ Posts

Convert an MX7-160 to 180hp

Post by Wyflyer »

I've read quite a few of the threads about upgrading the O-320 to the O-360. Am I correct in concluding the only engines approved for that swap are the O-360 C1F or C4F??
And the only aircraft these two models were ever used were in Maules?
Thanks
Tom

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

I believe your correct

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Lycoming will supply you with a list of certified aircraft, if there are any other than Maule.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Not too big a deal to convert engine models in 360's, have friend just installed 180HP in an M4, I believe it was a B2B, changed sump, inlet tubes, and carb to make it C1F... Also think would be easy to get buy off from Feds on Field Approval to install another model eng if inlet / exhaust / cowling were well thought out with minimal changes? I have seen several model changes on other makes doing engine conversions on STC's?
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

Wyflyer
100+ Posts

Post by Wyflyer »

You seem to have answered what was going to be my next question... If you can't find an O-360 C1F can you make another O-360 into one?
I'd like to know more about this. I like the C1F for it's hollow crank, if I were to do this mod i'd likely add a CS prop.
How is it documented? New dataplate on the block? Who oversees that? etc etc.

FYI after I started this thread I called Maule about some parts. During the conversation Bryan H in parts department told me to install a O-360C1F in place of my O-320 only requires a new tachometer, everything else works. That seems too simple but i'ts good information to hear.

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

Bryan may have over simplified things a bit. In addition to the new tach, you will probably need a new engine mount, prop control of course, and maybe a new A/S indicator. Will have to check into the A/S thing tho. I'm sure there is a mod kit for the conversion so paperwork shouldnt be an issue.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

As far as engine model conversion, go to O-360 TCDS which lists and gives explaination of differences of models, for an O-360 it leads you all the way back to an A1A model... Some models will obviously not work for a conversion, but many will. Basically if the complete model conversion done per TCDS, a Form 337 needs done to document paper trail, no need to change data plate. Any competent engine overhaul shop can help you thru this, and some of them may even restamp engine data plate.
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

skymarc
100+ Posts

Post by skymarc »

There was an MX7-180 converted to a M6-235 at the Maule booth in OSH last week.
Im not sure whats involved.

Wyflyer
100+ Posts

Post by Wyflyer »

The MX7 to M6-235 is Maule mod #58. I won't deny I salivate at the idea of the 235 hp engine but the 180B conversion is more attractive due to the lower cost to convert, and the higher useful load.
Plus currently i'm based at a 970asl airport, flying up to the family farm in Oklahoma at 4200' asl. Not exactly high density altitudes requiring a 235hp engine.

My N9237L has 650 TT and I plan to fly it to TBO then swap to a 180HP and make it into a MX7-180B. that is if I can figure out exactly what parts are needed to do the swap;)

Wyflyer
100+ Posts

Post by Wyflyer »

I bought a Lycoming O-360-C1F and now need info on the Mod Kit #30. Does anyone have this information they can share with me?
we allow darwins law to take its course. -chris erasmus

Wyflyer
100+ Posts

Post by Wyflyer »

Okay I got the kit index but it doesn't list parts. I don't suppose someone has a copy of the 5300X drawing laying around somewhere?

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Mauleairinc has the drawing list if no one else has.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

st8cop166
100+ Posts

Post by st8cop166 »

Off topic but a little curious. Is there a reason Mr. Maule went to the C1F and C4F? I think all of us want the best version of the best engine and my engine knowledge is limited to, "Yep, there appears to be one on there, it seems to run, and all is in the green."
Former Maule owner . . .twice
1960 PA18 N87314

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

I don't know why BD picked that pair of 360 cu" engines.
I did spend a few nights with him at his house researching for a bigger hp to expand the 540 cu" line. The 260hp was the result, it being the best choice without gaining masses of weight.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Wyflyer
100+ Posts

Post by Wyflyer »

maules.com wrote:Mauleairinc has the drawing list if no one else has.
By the time I ask here, I've already tried Maule Air. I was trying to get info quickly because the seller of this engine was selling off other accessories separately, some of which I suspect could have been used in my engine swap. It's not so urgent now, last week while I was trying the get the Mod Kit info the parts sold.

This is what I have to show for 3 months. I was hoping to make the Maule homecoming, but it's unlikely.

http://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/p71 ... f98dd6.jpg