Drooping wing

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

FARMAULE
100+ Posts

Drooping wing

Post by FARMAULE »

Hey guys noticed today one wing tip measures 5 inches lower than the other. Checked tire pressures and fuel levels both are symmetrical. Both Oleos were replaced last year. I haven't had any hard or rough landings that I recall. Do you guys have any suggestions. I was thinking possibly a bent axle but the plane tracks well. It could have been like this for a while. I just slammed my head into the wingtip and began too look around. Wing roots measure an inch difference. The long span really enhances the droop I guess. Help would be appreciated.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

My M-6 has always been that way, despite new landing gear legs, and new springs. Seems like it must either be heavier on one side, or the frame isn't quite straight.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Have you checked both lateral leveling tubes and the ground you are useing for reference. One tube under seats and other is at top rear of windshield
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

To get those tubes level on mine, I have to jack up under the gear a little on one side. With both wheels on the ground, if I pull the front floor section, I can see that the oleo is extended a little more on the left than on the right.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The original wt & bal in the POH shows the individual wheel weights.
A weaker oleo spring on one side, or mismatched lengths if not checked at installation will also droop a wing of course.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

FARMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by FARMAULE »

Thanks guys. I have the seats outs for some foam work right now so I will check the lateral bar for level. It's on a new concrete floor but it could be off as well. So I'm taking it if I can't find something very obvious. Fly as is?

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Fly as-is has worked for me. The previous owner spent a bunch of time and money trying to work it out, to no avail. When I re-sealed my oleos, I confirmed that it had the newest spring type (previous owner had replaced then not too long before I bought it), and measured to confirm they were the same length. I put the heavy-duty gear legs on. Sat the same all throughout. Bugs my anal nature on taxi, as I can see one wing is a bit lower, but I've learned to live with it.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

If everything square / level at fuselage, is simply a matter of rigging wings at wing struts properly.. Generally consists of dropping high wing slightly, raising lower wing slightly while maintaining proper dyhedral. A couple of turns on each rod end makes quite a difference out at wing tip... While doing that, I would suggest also check washout, as that's a good time to take care of as well... I have found several crooked wing installations, and only takes an hour or two to square up?
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

FARMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by FARMAULE »

Thanks aero101, my annual is next month. We will check rigging. I checked Oleos today and both measured the same. Thanks again, I'll keep everyone updated when and if I find a fix.

FARMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by FARMAULE »

Thank goodness for the low wing. I found that the two upper oleo bolts are AN and not NAS. Someone had changed all the other gear bolts to NAS and left these for me I guess. Not gonna fix the wing issue but yet a good find.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Well it could fix the wing issue if one is bent or missing its two spacers.
In this AN bolt situation, I would replace and correctly torque with apropriate washers "Before next flight".
Don't wait till annual, it could cost you a prop and engine.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

maules.com wrote: Don't wait till annual, it could cost you a prop and engine.
It cost me a wing tip and aileron too :oops:

Hogy59

Post by Hogy59 »

Had the same issue with mine. Checked struts, rigging, etc. Finally put on New landing gear (HD from ABW). Magic! One axle was bent up slightly on the old gear. Couldn't tell it by looking at it.

FARMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by FARMAULE »

I got all of my bolts changed to the NAS. None of them were really bent but I have found another issue I need help with. On the right gear where the lower oleo bolt goes through the actual gear there is a bearing with a swivel insert. It is so loose it fell to the ground when removing. Should I try a new bearing or is the gear possible worn beyond limits. Are these pressed and staked in? Torque Values? Any info would be great. I'll be calling maule in the am. Thanks

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The bearing is pressed and staked in place.
Top attach bolt Torque is 220 to 240 inch lbs, however be sure that all loads of bearing and lugs are on the bolt shank and not the thread and that when the torque is applied and the two lugs are squeezed together, the nut is not bottoming out on the shank. Adjust with washers. This is important. Lower bolt torque is standard for bolt size.
Is the landing gear truss the same lateral level as the levelling tube at wing root carry through?
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide