VALDEZ!

Discuss or announce upcoming gatherings.
YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

VALDEZ!

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Ok guys (and of course, Gals!) The subject of the Annual Trade Show Breakfast has been broached so I figured that there should also be a thread started about who's planning on going to Valdez, who is planning on watching and participating. In light of the 17" of snow this past couple of days and -3* :shock: (Mid April, really!?) it's hard to think of Valdez being right around the corner but it is. There are several events in addition to that. There was the Bi-Su-in-Lieu get together last year that is going to be perpetuated this year and maybe one or two other get togethers.
So, who's in, who's on and who needs a ride?
I know of two of us that will be competing for certain, maybe a third (Depending on the co-pilot) and would encourage others to join as well. The last couple of years, they have lumped the Maule's in with the Bush class but some energetic efforts in the form of letter writting may help get things moved over to the Light Touring class. At the very least, I have a feeling that there will be a BBQ/bon fire on the Tarmac that all are invited to join. :roll:
Live it like its your last day.

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

Well gunna miss this one guys's sorry... :roll:

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

I'd like to come down to it, but will all depend upon what breakup looks like this year... If still on wheels, and have decent WX, will probably make it down there. I'm beginning to wonder if there is even going to be a breakup this year? We just got about 6" fresh snow, and temp highs still below freezing, usually seeing 40's in afternoon this time of year. :P
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

BatMaule
100+ Posts

Post by BatMaule »

Fingers crossed for good wx! Assuming the forecast is reasonable, we would be up for heading over late Friday afternoon. What are you thinking Kurt? It would be cool to show up en-masse and take over the front row again.

I'm on the fence as far as competing. (It is fun but I value my BW's too much!) Who do we write concerning aircraft classifications?

Bonfire = good. Will bring a load of split wood.
1983 M6-235
The "BatMaule"

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I really don't know what you guys are complaining about. I mean, we had 5 good days of spring and summer last week...

As far as Valdez, I would like to make it but it depends on my work schedule. We have a Fairbanks trip planned for the following week and don't know if I can pull off both trips!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

chetharris
100+ Posts

Valdez

Post by chetharris »

Wup, Sorry we you are not gonna be in Valdez. We will miss you at the BBQ. Will there be any Bushwheel presence in Vladez?

BatMaule,
No excuses for not competing. I ran my bushwheels in the competition for years those tires were still going strong after ten years. It is a lot of fun.

I hope more Maule pilots show up and congregate. This is a great event folks. We have a good time.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Anyone seen this years rules for competition yet? I checked the Visitor Center website, everything but rules available there... Called, left message, but no response yet? I'm just wondering how they're going to classify the Maules this year, hopefully they spent some time with revamp rather then doing ALL Maules together with supercubs or C185's?

never mind!! they called back and new rules to be posted on vis center website next week toward middle of week... sounds like they've made some changes, so guess we'll see soon?
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Just got a phone call from one of our own, the Commitee has made the call that the Maules will be in Light Touring. :shock: Nothing is written in stone until the rules are posted here in a few days. But, they have made it known out of Commitee. 8)
Now, we need to make a showing. :roll:

BatMaule
100+ Posts

Post by BatMaule »

That was just my 1st excuse Chet. I have a list as long as my arm. :roll: Great news on the light touring classification. Won't hold my breath but it sure sounds promising.

So when does the convoy roll???
1983 M6-235
The "BatMaule"

Autorotate

Post by Autorotate »

Weather and work permitting....I'm in!

The BBQ/bonfire sounds like a great time.

Is parking by reservation or first come first serve? Do they have tie down points in Valdez or what are folks doing to secure their bird there? I understand fuel can be tight there during this event...so do most bring a few extra gallons along?
If some is good, more must be better...

BatMaule
100+ Posts

Post by BatMaule »

Well, it looks pretty official --- > M4-M7 in Light Touring and M9 in Heavy Touring. (If you happen to fly an M8, you are in a category of your own.)

http://www.valdezalaska.org/events/vald ... d-air-show
http://www.supercub.org/forum/showthrea ... -May-10-12

Congrats to the gang here that has been arguing this for years now! It has to feel good to be heard and it really will make it more fun to compete. Time to practice up!

Paul
1983 M6-235
The "BatMaule"

BatMaule
100+ Posts

Post by BatMaule »

P.S. It looks like you have to register for the STOL competition by Friday, 2100 if you want to compete on Saturday. The "Hands-on Bush Modifications" session from 1600-1700 on Friday sounds interesting, too. I'm thinking maybe a 1300'ish departure from Birchwood and the scenic route (TBD and wx dependent) to Valdez but I'm flexible. What are others thinking?
1983 M6-235
The "BatMaule"

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

What's the "scenic route"? Up the Knik Glacier or up the Colony Glacier from Lk George? Down the highway to Tehetna (sp?) Pass? Dang near any route to Valdez is Scenic!

There is a slim possibility I might be able to make it. Seems like everything is happening on that weekend. We have a trip to Fairbanks on Thursday that week and were planning to spend a couple of days there.
The woman has something going on that weekend though so we may fly back the next day.

The 99's are hosting a "Flying Companion" class I have been trying to get her into for the last year or so on that Saturday at UAA on Merrill.

Now it seems she might be willing to fly from Fairbanks to Valdez for the STOL Comp, spend a day or two there and then fly back to Anchorage...

We'll see how it all falls out!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Hmm, just an idea Jeff but if she comes to Valdez and gets "the bug" you may not have to work too hard to get her involved. Make it a point to join us!
Yes, all routes = scenic!
Make sure if you go, prepare for wet/cold. We camp on the tarmac and there's frequently water running across the tie downs.
Paul, good idea on the departure. Might head out here a little earlier but same day. I may have a job to do in Cordova & Valdez that day.
We look forward to seeing you and Erin. Good times!
We can always use more wood for the fire, I always bring a 50# onion bag of wood scraps. Why? Beacuse I'm not a CUB!! HAHA!

BatMaule
100+ Posts

Post by BatMaule »

Hope you make it too, Jeff.

All routes to L'il Switzerland are indeed beautiful (unless you are scud running!) On a nice day, though, I personally like going over PWS. Depending on tides I might want to make a couple of stops along the way.

Yep...we gonna have us a "not-a-cub" shin-dig and talk about how the poor (cub) people live on such meager rations. Come one, come all!
1983 M6-235
The "BatMaule"