Aspen 1000 in Maule

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
MS Pirate

Aspen 1000 in Maule

Post by MS Pirate »

Interested in others who have an Aspen 1000 in your Maule.
Where is your antenna located?
Were there any problems getting the unit calibrated?

-------
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." -Mark Twain

kranch

Re: Aspen 1000 in Maule

Post by kranch »

MS Pirate wrote:Interested in others who have an Aspen 1000 in your Maule.
Where is your antenna located?
Were there any problems getting the unit calibrated?

-------
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." -Mark Twain
I have a 1996 M7235C and I had Sarasota Avionics install a Aspen 1000 pro with synthetic vision. They said that they had a little trouble with finding a spot with no interference. The antenna is about 12" back from the back panel in the tail about center from all sides and we had no problems calibrating it. Boy is it nice to fly with it gives you more information then you ever need. Hope this helps.
Thanks
Keven

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

:?:
Last edited by MauleWacko on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MS Pirate

Post by MS Pirate »

Ended up with antenna located on top of the right wing, in fuel tank cover.
Some difficulty getting good calibration, but seems to be doing well now after adjustments to headings were input.

Did do a race in the Maule...all the nose-draggers were scared...

krautman67

Post by krautman67 »

I see that this is an older thread, I would like to re-open it in case any of you are thinking what I am thinking on this Aspen product. On the way to Oshkosh this year my vacuum pump went kaput. Had to do do a diversion on the way back due to 400 foot ceilings over a 8 mile streach of open water. Did not want to risk that with all 4 seats full of family and a case of Spotted Cow beer from Wisconsin with a toppled horizon and no DG. The DG and horizon on this '76 have been in this bird for 39 years now. The DG precesses about 2 degrees per minute, so it is useless in cruise, really good during steep turns :)
I have not yet seen the Aspen PFD up close, but I like the product from the research I have done. I would opt for the SVT option. I think you could have this unit in your pannel for around 10G or so. You would then just need to "plug and play" the ADS-B out box into this unit by 2020 to satisfy the FAA ADS-B OUT mandate if you wsh to fly in any controlled airspace. I could discard that vacuum pump! From what I understand, an existing GPS and Mode C Transponder data can be plugged directly to this unit and the ADS-B out box without purchasing additional hardware.

I intend to fly to FLA from Canada in the spring (clearing at KSKY). If any of you have done this in addition to MS Pirate above, or if anyone can recommend a shop/dealer that could install this in the northeast/southeast in a few days, could you please share with us? Thanks! ...Carl
1976 M5-235C

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

Can we have a pic of the panel with aspen installed?

MS Pirate

Post by MS Pirate »

It is best if you can have the Aspen installed centered on the yoke, hopefully your panel will permit this without a lot of adjustment.

It is a superb platform for IFR...I have no regrets on spending the $$ for getting the Aspen.

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

Great stuff thanks, looks great, considering it for mine

ZRotheohv

Post by ZRotheohv »

I agree, the Aspen was the best money I've spent so far. The RSM was installed right behind the rear bulkhead, though, and if I put anything ferrous back there it'll spin the compass around a bit. This will make the Aspen think there's a 50+ kt crosswind! I'm having it moved farther back in the tail, though, during the annual. But IFR is a joy and I highly recommend it!

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

I hate the fact that most panels on light singles are to the left of center but don't think I would give up the standard 6 pack.

krautman67

Post by krautman67 »

Thanks for the photo MS Pirate! Nice job they did for you. I've never seen the MP gauge over on the left side of the radio stack before. I am looking at that flyQ also, but don't really like things not bolted to the panel. This bird flies 40-50 hours a year, so I might take on a partner. Would you be willing to share the rough cost of this MS Pirate?? You can PM me if you prefer. Thanks for sharing!
Carl
1976 M5-235C

MS Pirate

Post by MS Pirate »

Rough estimate:
$8,500- $10,000 for Aspen 1000 Pro
(IFR)(Non Synthetic Vision)
$2,000- $3,000 for installation
These are from 2013, so check around today...

My installation took 5 weeks... Suggest you find someone
familiar with Maule installation... might save you some surprises... Aspen usually has some rebates available, so take advantage of that also.

After the installation, I spent some time on the phone with
Aspen Technical help. They were a good resource and a good place to start... They will give you a list of recommended installers. (Still talk with the shops yourself before you make a decision).

krautman67

Post by krautman67 »

Thanks MS Pirate, Must have lost my glasses, I see that it's the tach on the left of the radio stack... The prices you indicate for the Aspen is ball-park of what I thought the final bill would be. I will do some calling and share the quotes and finished panel with you once I get it done.
1976 M5-235C