New to the Board - Question for you Maule Drivers...

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
Taildragon

New to the Board - Question for you Maule Drivers...

Post by Taildragon »

Hey Guy's - I'm new to the forum - I own a Maule MX180C - Pretty typical build (e.g. VG's, Aluminum Gear, Standard avionics: 430, 250, S-Tec 30 396 in the yoke, etc.). Had a scary thing happen on a trip last week.

A week ago, I had to divert to Plattmouth, NE (on my way to Ottumwa, IA the weather got WAY out of hand), when I landed as soon as I touched the ground, the engine died (Carb heat was on and with a few priming shots, the engine fired right back up). Then, the next day when I landed in Ottumwa, I was on final with the fuel all the way out (and the mixture all the way in) it died again (on final). The prop was windmilling so I pumped the fuel a couple times and she fired right back up. Every time I closed the throttle, it died.

The temps were -21C (very cold). When it happened the previous day, I thought it I had set the Mixture too lean, so I put it all the way to the firewall and it still happened. Also, I had the carb heat on and the altimeter was at 30.40. By my calcs the Density Altitude was -1800+ MSL (airport elevation on a standard day is 800 +/-).

One more thing - The engine would start right up with a few pumps of the throttle. Weird, huh?

Any of you guy's have an Idea of whats going on?

Love the site!!!

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

I lean my plane aggressively for taxi. Twice I was on rollout getting ready to exit the runway and overleaned and (embarrasingly) killed my motor. Perhaps this is what happened to you?
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

I lean my plane aggressively for taxi. Twice I was on rollout getting ready to exit the runway and overleaned and (embarrasingly) killed my motor. Perhaps this is what happened to you?

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Taildragon

Thanks for the reply...

Post by Taildragon »

Mixture was all the way in and carb heat was on.

???

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Due to sub-sea level density altitude secondary to the low OAT's maybe even full rich is too lean the way you are set up?

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

Have seen this happen on 7GCBC several times don't pull your throttle all the way out to idle...... I will try to remember the other fix... If I remember correctly it would be a good thing to pull your carb and have it gone through and adjusted for you bird.

flyer
100+ Posts

Post by flyer »

Are you sure that your carb heat is working? It does sound like some sort of ice problem.

Dick
Flyer

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

Hello fellow Maule'rs this is my first attempt at Internet stuff I have lurking around the forum for awhile .I think the idle stop set screw has backed off allowing the throttle butterfly to close completely and stall the engine in much the same way as impact iceing would

Taildragon

Thanks...

Post by Taildragon »

Guy's: Appreciate your feedback. I'm going to have my Mechanic take a look at it.

CAVU Gents!

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

Talldragoon did you get your bird fixed :?:

Taildragon

Post by Taildragon »

Well... No, is the short answer.

I've put about 8 hours on her since it happened and she's been purring like a kitten. I spent some time with my mechanic walking through the Wx I was flying in and he thinks that in those conditions, I couldn't get it rich enough. He also thinks that I might have had a little carb ice.

In playing the whole thing back in my mind, I think I should have put the carb heat on 5 or 10 minutes prior to landing. Next time it get's REALLY cold with some humidity, I'm going to go out and give it a shot.

Jim

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

It may have had some ice built up when you pulled it on, my mx7-180 does have a tendency to ice in cruz under right conditions and indicated by a small drop in RPM, when carb heat pulled in cruz RPM drop considerable then starts picking back up.. I see the ice when OAT 50-60F and high moisture in air, usually low overcast or rain...
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Mountain Doctor wrote:Due to sub-sea level density altitude secondary to the low OAT's maybe even full rich is too lean the way you are set up?
He thinks that in those conditions, I couldn't get it rich enough.

Yup. 8)

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Taildragon

Post by Taildragon »

le flying thing is a license to learn... Another experience to get smarter about.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

I think your mech has got that just backwards as with high humidity, mixture actually richens as less air available due to the humidity being sucked thru carb with air... Sounds like carb ice as once it melts (quickly after shutdown) engine runs fine...
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.