Two M-4 questions

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Sullivan

Two M-4 questions

Post by Sullivan »

Involved in the annual of my 65 M4210 and have two questions:
1. Why is it placarded for day flight only. It has landing lights?
2. Under the right seat there is a metal box which has a label saying it is a flite-lite model number FL-41 from teh EMCO Engineering Company. What is it? My mechanic thinks it runs the stall indicator light and might be a buzzer. Thanks.

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

have no clue... neither of these is on mine... wait a while.. I'm sure Jeremy will know...
Iceman

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Does it have a rotating beacon under belly, lower cowl, or top of tail?
Does it have wingtip strobes. If so it may be the strobe power pack?
Does it have marker lights red green and white? For night.
Does it have lighted panel guages from overhead red light or door post swivel lights? For night.
Has the lighting been updated for night flight but label never removed in which case it should show in wt & bal and in airframe logbook and possibly in equipment list.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Sullivan

Post by Sullivan »

It has rotating beacons which I plan to replace with wingtip strobes. Could it be related to the beacons?

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Not likely, as rotating beacons that I've seen on Maules have a motor that turns a permanently lit bulb or two.
There was a strobe light used on top or bottom that looks similar to a beacon but doesn't turn but does need a power pack.
If doing an annual, you have to have all seats and floor removed anyway, so just trace the wireing which is easy to see.
The airplane cannot be inspected without removing all seats and all floor pieces.
The box under the seat could also be an old style intercom divider.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

brokenaero
100+ Posts

Post by brokenaero »

My question is: How is an IA doing an annual that doesn't know about these questions?
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; and that His justice cannot sleep forever.-- T. Jefferson

Sullivan

Post by Sullivan »

I didn't ask about the placard against night flight. The box under the seat he believes is the stall indicator light, he doesn't know if it has an buzzer function. He is a good A & P in my opinion, used to teach it at a local college.

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

my stall warning light is just a light.. no buzzer and there's nothing under my right seat but a strobe light box under my seat..if that helps looked up Emco Eng. on the internet and got a shitload of pages but nothing that even remotely relates to aviation parts.. but a lot of pakistan and emirates companies.. I'd get the damn thing out of my airplane if it were me...lol :lol:
Iceman

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The stall switch is the vane on wing and buzzer on newer Maules is a 2" diameter item at bottom left corner of windshield. No box.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

RT
100+ Posts

Post by RT »

I think Iceman is right get it out maybe its a bomb.
RT