Good Year Tires

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
liveoakrick

Good Year Tires

Post by liveoakrick »

Has anyone put on the new 26 inch Goodyear tires and if so, what paper work to be legal.

Rick Libby

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

Rick,

That will require a field approval, Form 337 from the FAA. If you call your local FSDO and tell them what you want to do they can walk you through it. FSDO offices around the country are very different in their willingness to do this so if you run into an office that doesn't want to help there are others. Good luck

Mike

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

How right you are Mike.
The San Antonio FISDO makes new rules as they go. It'S beyond human understanding. You can read the reg to them and they will flat tell you "THAT AINT THE WAY WE DO IT HERE IN TEXAS" This is exactly what was said to me.

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

Rick, you will need double puck brake's with those big skin's and I had a clearance problem with the side wall of the tire rubbing the brake assy. The dealer allowed me to return the tire's. I just did not have the time to make everything right.

liveoakrick

Good year Tires

Post by liveoakrick »

Thanks for the info. Does every aircraft have to get a field approval every time they want to change tire size. Jeremy, help us out here. You drive big tires. How did you make it legal? Ideally I want to put on the bigger tires and a tundra tail wheel because I fly my airplane out of a rough grass strip and the standard tires provide a rough ride. I also have had shimmy problems on my MX7-180A whenever the airplane is loaded which is whenever I go on a trip and can least afford mechanical problems.

Rick

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Shimmy problem only when loaded points to a tired worn out tailspring setup. If you extend the line of the base of the fuselage rearward past the tailspring, it should be 45deg when a medium load is on board, or needs replacing. The tailwheel may also need a degrease of anti shimmy area and resetting of bearing preload and antishimmy dept.
Approval of the tyres all depends on what tyres you are wanting to fit. What tyres do you have, TSO'd, STC'd, etc Double puck brakes are recomended and spacers are available to offset the discs so as not to foul the tyres. The calipers must be mounted at the front. Care must be taken that the caliper locater pins cannot disengage as the pads wear down. 337 tyre approvals get more difficult but if the fitting is all done well and justified for safety then the change is not insurmountable.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

Rick,

The only tires that come STC'd, or pre-approved if you will, are the Alaska Bushweels. Go to their website for more info. www.akbushweel.com. All other oversized tires that are not listed on your aircrafts type certificate would have to be field approved by the FAA. Another nice option is the Alaska Tundra Tire out of Anchorage. They are the old Gar-Aero and make a 29" inch tire that comes with or without tread. They are about half of what Bushwheels cost but they do need a field approval. Their site is www.alaskatundratire.com.

Mike

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Alaska Bushwheels of Joseph OR manufactures a better system than the Gar Aero glue on expanders. Utilizing the same tyres AK Bushwheels manufactures a 10inch wheel which is much safer and is engineered to a better width.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

liveoakrick

Post by liveoakrick »

It sounds like the easiest way to go is to fly up to Joseph and let Alaskan Bushwheel put on the double brake assembly, the pre approved big wheels and and the tundra tail wheel assembly. They know Maules and they know their own tires.

Rick

jmtgt
100+ Posts

Post by jmtgt »

maules.com wrote:Alaska Bushwheels of Joseph OR manufactures a better system than the Gar Aero glue on expanders. Utilizing the same tyres AK Bushwheels manufactures a 10inch wheel which is much safer and is engineered to a better width.
Jeremy,

I got one of those sets of AK Bushwheels you are talking about with the buffed off tread. The wheel is a 10" with no glued parts. Flew with them today for the first time and so far so good. I am liking them.
John

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

hey there John, did you get the 24 or 29". We'd like to hear the results of slippage and tyre pressures after you get some time on them.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

xwildcat
100+ Posts

Thread creep

Post by xwildcat »

The ABW seems like the cream of the crop and they've earned that reputation. Got it. However, this thread kinda crept off topic. I'd still like to know about the Goodyear 26x6s.

What makes the Goodyears so undesirable?

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Re: Thread creep

Post by Hottshot »

xwildcat wrote:The ABW seems like the cream of the crop and they've earned that reputation. Got it. However, this thread kinda crept off topic. I'd still like to know about the Goodyear 26x6s.

What makes the Goodyears so undesirable?
The GY's are a functional tire.... that bein said, They are not made for a TUBE TYPE wheel, thae are made for a tubeless type wheel (this is why they slip at lower pressures) Not much difference between 8.5 and 26" tires, The do offer a better foot print but are built very heavy and don't offer much flex. They were built for the BLIMP to sit and skuff on the ground not to be run down the runway, there is no load rateing or speed rateing and they aren't STC'd for anything but the Super cub(Cubcrafters STC)

Hope that helps

xwildcat
100+ Posts

Post by xwildcat »

Yep, that helped. Thanks! I've learned (slowly and painfully) that the best tool for the job is the one MADE for the job... and there's no substitute for the right tool.

Sounds like ABWs are in my near future.

akloon
100+ Posts

Post by akloon »

Sorrry, old thread to be adding my two cents worth, but couldn't resist. I bought the 26 inch Goodyear's because I didn't want to drop the 3 grand. The Bushwheels are king by all the reviews. The bias-ply is favored by the guys I know vs. the radial. Heavier, but plops down and doesn't bounce. However, I've flown the Goodyears onto sand, gravel, grass, and shallow tundra and been very happy with three point and wheel landing techniques. If you're flying off of a strip that's groomed at all I don't know why the 26 inch wouldn't work (the 8.50's for that matter)
1995 M-7-235B