Maule "Homecoming" fly-in

Discuss or announce upcoming gatherings.
a64pilot
100+ Posts

Maule "Homecoming" fly-in

Post by a64pilot »

Just got off of the phone with Ray Maule. I would like to have the "homecoming" fly-in on 12 thru 14 Oct. I'm calling it that because we would be coming "home", the birth place for most if not all of our Maules and the annual fly-in is taken. I don't want this to be thought of as an eastern fly-in because everyone is welcome. 12 thru 14 because there is a huge farm expo in Moultrie starting the 16th and some of you may want to attend that. It is a large expo, and if you have anything to do with agriculture you don't want to miss this one. This is the link http://www.sunbeltexpo.com/
I need help from someone Google earth smart, the coordinates for the grass strip we will camp at is N31 02.266 W083 35.103. Will someone that knows how post a picture of it? It's large enough for a light twin to get into without any problem, but if you are uncomfortable you can land at KMGR and we will come get you and your gear. For the non-campers I would suggest staying at this FBO http://www.airnav.com/airport/KMGR You have to read the comments on them, they are that good. http://www.airnav.com/airport/KMGR/EAGLES_OF_AMERICA There are several motels in town, but you may want to reserve early as I'm sure they would fill up early with the Expo. Worst case is there are several towns within 20 min flying time so a place to stay shouldn't be too hard. This is the where and when post. I will start a separate topic about the plan of what we want to do that weekend.

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

Does this look about right?

We are down for annual in October, so if it is not back up and running by the event then I will have to thumb a ride from someone.
"To most people, the sky is the limit. To a pilot, the sky is home."

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top

mikemike

Fly-In

Post by mikemike »

a64pilot, well done! Susan and I are looking forward to the fly-in. - Mike

Aerobatix

Post by Aerobatix »

Putting it on the calendar!

senoiaslim

Post by senoiaslim »

I'M IN !
Mark

Ernie

Post by Ernie »

I'm glad to see some interest in this, it sounds like a good time. I plan on being there. Please let me know if I can help out.

Ernie

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

Man .. Wish I could make that one!! :x

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Well Wup you could, but it is a fur piece as we say down here. I was looking foward to meeting you at the Valier fly-in and didn't see you there. One day I want to meet.
Seriously, I would like everyone that is able and wants to come to do so. Even if it is a "fur piece". Don't think of this as anything but another Maule fly-in. One of the reasons of having it in Oct. is to space it out time wise from the Annual fly -in. Other than Maules are more than welcome as well.
On another completely different note, I want to give you a call on those 29x11-10's I saw on the BCP site on jmtgt's plane. A set of pavement friendly, big tires would work for me. I know they wouldn't work as well as Bushwheels in the real rough stuff, but most of my landings Have to be on pavement, and I just couldn't do that to Bushwheels. Down south, there just aren't that many rocks, but there is a lot of plowed fields and soft sand and those look real appealing to someone that is based off of pavement.

W.A.T.

Maule Homecoming October 12-14, 2007 Moultrie, GA

Post by W.A.T. »

Just thought I would also add, Thomasville, GA is having there annual flyin that same weekend. Might be fun to fly in as a group, for a short stopover, just for kicks.

Link: http://www.thomasvilleflyin.com/
Wright Aircraft Technology, LLC
151 D W Wright Road
Moultrie, GA 31788

Telephone: (229) 324-3163

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

That would be a fun get together. Although I can't claim any heritage to the GA plant, mine was the last plane built in MI before the big move (Serial # 1074c). As Mrs. maule said, "we had a party on that plane"....
It would be fun to show up and represent the old gaurd though.
Anyonbe from here attending, please let the Maule family know that 2024U is alive and well.
Kurt

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

It's starting to look like the camping area may be moved to Thomasville, KTVI. Reason is that is it's their fly-in weekend and the infrastructure will be in place. I.E. showers, bathrooms, food, that kind of thing. I never really cracked that nut for staying at David Wright's field. I was pretty sure we could shower at KMGR and rent a porta potty, but do we really want to do that with Thomasville 17 miles away?
I need some help deciding what you guy's want to do about food as far as evening meal is concerned. Do you want to cook out, buy whatever is available at the airport that is for sale or do you want to go into town somewhere for a sit down meal as a group? I need feed back on that.
Also there is not intended to be any kind of registration fee or anything like that. Honestly, I don't want the responsibility of handling and accounting for your money. But, expect to have to pay for your meals. I think it would be better for you to pay personally as opposed to any other way.

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

No argument here on either issue...camping and eating fee. I would suggest that when the time gets closer we get a tally and order something easily delivered or catered, i.e.- pizza, subway, bar-b-que, etc.

Sharing the fly-in would not be a bad idea either since the infrastructure is in place...when was the last time you met any other Maule owners at a fly-in? It could be a lot of fun to show up in large numbers.
"To most people, the sky is the limit. To a pilot, the sky is home."

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

I just got off of the phone with the guy's in Thomasville. There is no fee for camping under the wing, The only money they make is from food sales. Looking at their web site, it looks like all meals will be available there. I would like to set up at least one meal in town for everyone to meet, talk etc.
They said they would love to have a group of Maule's . I left a message for their "parking chairman" to call me, I am requesting us to have our own little corner to park in if possible. Check out their website, it looks like an OK place to base from.

Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Looks to me like going with the guys from Thomasville Aviation is a good idea. I just looked at their web site and they have the food, camping, showers, shuttle to town, and motels all covered. Should be a great weekend.

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Not looking good for me to be able to make it....

Bummer

Kirk