m5 front seats

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
GOAZ

m5 front seats

Post by GOAZ »

i'm not sure if this subject as been wroten about!
i am new to this
here is my problem, i really have alot of frustation taking the seats out and also putting them back, i'm wondering if they've been bent or something during a removal!
sliding the seats is even worst!

can i change the seats and/or the atatchment systems completely !
where can i order new seats??
thanks

akholland
100+ Posts

Post by akholland »

I was looking at a pacer the other day and looking at my m5 and the seat sliders are relatively the same except for one difference. The slider guide on the pacer was about 4 inches long and the guides on the cross tube for the maule were only an inch long so it seemed that the maule could get cockeyed. anyways take your seat out and wire brush and clean the slides and lube them up? Make sure the seat attach bracket bolts aren't so tight that they cant pivot? I'm not a big fan of the design because if you dont get the keeper pin in the hole the seat could slide back during flight and uhoh

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The seats cannot get bound up during fore and aft motion as the four bolt truss at the back prevents this from happening.
The seats cannot slide back beyond the guides as the seat rails have a stop welded across. There is a SB regarding this inspection because a couple of stops were left off in manufacturing.
CHECK all SL and SBs pertaining to the model of Maule. They can be retrieved from Maule's website and SHOULD ALL be documented in the maintenance paperwork of the plane.
The seats cannot slide forward off the tracks if the stop bolts and/or spring loaded pin on right seat of M4 and M5 and some MX7-180s are in place.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Mine were in the same shape when I got the plane. Apply a little lube on the sliders and make sure the pivot bolts aren't so tight as to bind. Night and day difference in ease of adjustment.

Maule sells a "quick release" kit that makes removal much easier. It is basically two clevis pins, four washers and two clips to replace the two upper pivot bolts. Definitely makes getting the seat in and out easier.

While the seat can't slide too far backward because of the welded in stop, it can slide too far forward and dump you into the back of the plane! The wife wasn't too impressed when this happened to her. Make sure the seat stop is in place!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

GOAZ

Post by GOAZ »

The problem is that the tubes under the seet do not align with the hole to insert the bolts! Like if the where bended or something like that! I would like to change all the system!!
Can it be done???

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Which tubes do not align with what hole?
Need clarification to figure out what is wrong, as the seat system works well when fitted correctly.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

GOAZ

Post by GOAZ »

Sorry for my english that is not so good!
What i am trying to explain is that when i want to put seats back in,the holes from the seats and the holes from tha brackets on the floor do not align well!
And when i force them in place(after i get pissed off)it is really hard to slide the seats back and forth! Just like if the tubing under the seat is bended !!
But what i realy want to know is if i can change all the system of seats and tracks for a brand new thing that would work better!
Thanks again for youre help

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

There is no other seat system. However, make sure you are attaching the seat truss on the inboard side of the floor lugs. There should be a bushing in the outboard lug. With truss attached to seat lugs and to the outboard lug. put a steel bar through the truss and permanently twist it so it becomes aligned with inboard holes. File a point on the bolt end to help it locate easily.
Subsequent seat r and r will be easy.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

GOAZ

Post by GOAZ »

Thanks again!
I will try this for sure!

YOidaho

Seat Stops

Post by YOidaho »

I have recently accomplished the first annual (post-purchase) inspection for my M7-235. Removed the seats. Maybe I shouldn't have. Replacing them was a bugger. One of my seat stops was simply a screw hanging thru the hole. The other seat has a bolt/washers/nut. Are there better choices i should consider? The rear attach points gave me difficult time. Glad to have seen a previous post about placing the truss between the anchor tabs.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Yoidaho, if your seat stops were not correctly (safely) installed and it was a new plane, it apparently did not get a proper delivery inspection and who knows what else was missed!! Might want take it to the dealer.
The seat truss does not go between the lugs but on inboard side and the truss is twisted to align the holes so next r and r is easy.
It is not necessary to remove the seat stop safety bolts and nuts to remove the seat.
Seat removal I have described in past posts.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

YOidaho

Post by YOidaho »

Thanks Jeremy. This one is from 1995. I'll search for the previously posted info. Now, I think I understand that the lugs are to be on the outboard side of the seat attach points. (seat truss, inboard side). thanks