Rosen Sunvisor Question

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
Russell461
100+ Posts

Rosen Sunvisor Question

Post by Russell461 »

I am adding Rosen's to N899Z. Back when I ordered them for N4657K in 1/2011, an A&P installed them (charged me $50) and made a log book entry. I can't remember if a W&B adjustment was made or not.

The following statement is at the bottom of the current Rosen installation instructions:

"Airworthiness Limitations:
The Airworthiness Limitations Section is FAA approved and specifies maintenance requires under §§43.16 and 91.403 of the Federal Aviation Regulations unless an alternative program has been FAA approved.
There are no airworthiness limitations associated with this installation."

I noticed the following statement on the Cessna 310 Series installation instructions: "This is a FAA STC’d installation requiring a logbook entry upon completion."

As you know, the installation is simple so the question is: Is it ok for me to install the Rosen's myself? Is a log book entry required? W&B required? A&P sign-off required?

Thanks !

Russell A.
50' DHC-2 MK1
79' C414A Chancellor
70' BAC Jet Provost Mk. 1
39' J3
YouTube Channel: russell461

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Technically, if there is an STC for one airplane installation and none for the Maule, it should be a field approval, Form 337, etc, etc... At a minimum would require a logbook entry by an A&P or IA as I would consider installation to be a minor alteration myself... It's kind of a judgement call, but would as a minimum, require logbook entry by someone licensed to do maintenance. As a pilot owner, you are not qualified to install yourself, although, you can install, have an A&P verify installation correct and he takes responsibility when he signs.

The Pilot Owner list includes such things as oil change, tire change, etc, etc.. Reference FAR 43 Appendix A(c): Preventive maintenance for a complete list.
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

TomD
100+ Posts

Rosen visors

Post by TomD »

I know there is an STC for Rosen visiors on Maules.

My bird was the test bed for the STC. I have a copy in my documents book but it is at the shop with my plane.

Rosen should have provided you an STC with the set.

tD

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

I just mounted mine and whatever paperwork there was I put in my maintence records.

Haven't thought about it since.

Good product, but as is the case with aviation specific items, pricey.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Maule offers them as options so they may be on the type certificate in which case you no longer need an STC.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

They wouldn't be on Type Cert but upon reviewing Optional Equipment List, there they are... A logbook entry only is all that's required. Optional Equipment list available on Maule Website....
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

Russell461
100+ Posts

Post by Russell461 »

aero101 wrote:They wouldn't be on Type Cert but upon reviewing Optional Equipment List, there they are... A logbook entry only is all that's required. Optional Equipment list available on Maule Website....
Thanks ! I will have an A&P sign off at the next annual.
50' DHC-2 MK1
79' C414A Chancellor
39' J3

NZMaule

Post by NZMaule »

Once you have them fitted make sure you rotate them by holding near the hinge, they seem to get pretty brittle after a while and clumsy passengers can easily break them by leveraging them down from the ends.
Or else keep the hinge moving freely I guess, but there's a balance between keeping them firm enough to stay up in all turbulence conditions and having them move down freely.

Russell461
100+ Posts

Post by Russell461 »

NZMaule wrote:Once you have them fitted make sure you rotate them by holding near the hinge, they seem to get pretty brittle after a while and clumsy passengers can easily break them by leveraging them down from the ends.
Or else keep the hinge moving freely I guess, but there's a balance between keeping them firm enough to stay up in all turbulence conditions and having them move down freely.
Yes...I remember this on my other pair. Thank you.

Russell A.
50' DHC-2 MK1
79' C414A Chancellor
39' J3

mountainflyer

Post by mountainflyer »

NZMaule wrote:
Once you have them fitted make sure you rotate them by holding near the hinge, they seem to get pretty brittle after a while and clumsy passengers can easily break them by leveraging them down from the ends.

Thats exactly what happened last Sunday! Now I have to get a replacement lens. Does Aircraft Spruce carry replacements?

Russell461
100+ Posts

Post by Russell461 »

mountainflyer wrote:NZMaule wrote:

Thats exactly what happened last Sunday! Now I have to get a replacement lens. Does Aircraft Spruce carry replacements?
I don't think so (Aircraft Spruce) but I did see another site that may be able to provide replacement lenses: http://www.planeplastics.com/accessorie ... ment-parts
50' DHC-2 MK1
79' C414A Chancellor
39' J3

mountainflyer

Post by mountainflyer »

Thanks, I'll check them out in the morning and see whether they carry Maule size lenses.

mountainflyer

Post by mountainflyer »

Checked with Rosen and they have replacement lenses of course. Part no. R1710201. Cost is $72.60 + shipping.

Russell461
100+ Posts

Post by Russell461 »

mountainflyer wrote:Checked with Rosen and they have replacement lenses of course. Part no. R1710201. Cost is $72.60 + shipping.
Excellent. Good to know.

RA
50' DHC-2 MK1
79' C414A Chancellor
39' J3

Mike Mac

Post by Mike Mac »

Russell,

Your N number is N899Z ? How wild....my Maule's number is N899ZZ !

Mike
Mike Mac
Islamorada, FL