Tailwheel

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
John Ashcroft
100+ Posts

Tailwheel

Post by John Ashcroft »

On the M5 235C can I fit large main tires and retain the standard tailwheel with the ABW tailspring which I believe will help with the possible tailwheel shimmy

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

YEP, smaller TW gives more AOA statically, as well as steers much much better on the snow and ice. I found with the big ABW TW that just the P-Factor would initially pull you approx 10-15 Degrees off to the left while waiting for the air rudder to become effective on hard pack runway here at AK28. Literally had to point acft off to RH edge of runway at beginning of TO roll and after we got rolling and air rudder effective, no problem. I put the standard 3200 back on it almost immediately and have no problem since. The smaller TW also easier to unlock to pivot on, especially in snow and ice, just not much traction with the big bald tire under these conditions?
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

John Ashcroft
100+ Posts

Post by John Ashcroft »

Jim
There isnt much snow and ice down here to worry about. What about the tailwheel shimmy, have you experienced this with the standard configuration?

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

I have replaced the TW Leaf Spring which gives proper angle on the 3200 Scott and have never had a problem with shimmy... under any conditions. Even with the Maule TW previously installed when I purchased aircraft, I never had a shimmy problem. Depending upon conditions you're landing in, the small scott works wonderfully even with the 31" tires. If you're doing a lot of work in BIG ROCKS I'd consider the big tired TW, but I'm talking very rough areas. I do some work on gravel bars, unimproved dirt strips, and some off-field work, and the smaller tire has done job well, no problem. If it's too rough, I just keep tail in the air until slowed down...
Jim

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

John Ashcroft
100+ Posts

Post by John Ashcroft »

Thanks Jim
I am thinking 29" mains and retain the original tailwheel but fit the ABW spring.
What do you think?

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The ABW tailspring is wider than the Maule tailspring and will not fit in the Maule P8B housing bracket. You will have to have an older Scott 3200 or ABW 3224.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

John Ashcroft
100+ Posts

Post by John Ashcroft »

thanks Jeremy

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

As per Jeremy, spring is wider, but it's a good investment and will hold the Scott at the proper angle, which should prevent any WOBBLY problems. You'll like the 29"s!! I'd suggest going ahead and getting the 31"s while spending the cash as most people I've seen, end up going to them later anyway, but either tire you'll enjoy..:lol:
Jim

John Ashcroft
100+ Posts

Post by John Ashcroft »

what do you think, 29's on the standard rims or the larger 10" rims

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

I went to the air hawks on the 10 inch wheels... a bit mor expensive but got 6 inches more prop clearance.. so I now have a set of 800's on my 6 inch wheels and am running the 29's.. most guys say you never go back and I can see why.. the air hawks are great.. I run 12 lbs on pavement and can go down to 9 if I need to..don't pivot if you can help it with turns. you'll get off the ground sooner too...
Iceman

John Ashcroft
100+ Posts

Post by John Ashcroft »

Can anyone tell me if this is a single or double puck brake?

John Ashcroft
100+ Posts

Post by John Ashcroft »

John Ashcroft
100+ Posts

Post by John Ashcroft »

Third time maybe lucky

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Can't see your picture but double puck uses 3/8" disc and single has 1/4" disc.
Double has two round numbs to hold two pistons.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

gotta have doubles to go to bigger tires...
Iceman