new maule pilot insurance premiums

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
29singlespeed

new maule pilot insurance premiums

Post by 29singlespeed »

Working on trying to buy a 74 M5-220c.. granted I am a low time TD pilot, but did not expect a $3200 quote. Hull value of 50k They are working on other options.

What have other low time TD new Maule owners been paying for first year premiums? I am also a CFI/I Multi rated between 400-500 hrs -- so yes low time all around.

8714yy

Post by 8714yy »

That would be right in line. I purchased an M-4 last year and paid almost 4000 for the year. I had no TW time but thousands of hours in helicopters, instructor, instrument, etc, etc and 100 hrs of fixed wing. I now have over 100 of TW in the M-4 and pay just under 3k/yr. once I hit 200hrs TW it will go down to just over 2k/yr and that is the lowest it will go with 35K hull and 1500 deduct in flight.
David Allen

Maule988ms
100+ Posts

Post by Maule988ms »

I am holding a paper from Travers and Associates for an insurance quote of 1,244 for an annual premium. That also covers ski operations. Full coverage for 60,000 hull value. I was amazed because I was previously quoted really high rates also. I have 850+ hours and 800 of those were tailwheel. But I just have ppl. I have a friend that has also been quoted good rates with far less tailwheel time. I was sure to go over the numbers with them again and it came out the same. Good luck.

Maule988ms
100+ Posts

Post by Maule988ms »

Whoops, that was for a 88 MX7 180 if that makes a difference.

Lawleraero

Post by Lawleraero »

Three Maule wrecks in a week last month probably won't help!!

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

I am insured by U.S. Specialty, through Cannon Aviation Insurance in Arizona. Premium is $1300, with $65,000 hull value. Allows off-airport operations, and covers ops in Alaska for no extra premium. I have about 2800 hours, 1700 of it tailwheel, but I also have had two claims in the last two years: one for a $40,000 repair, the other for a $54,000 total (neither in the Maule). Given the recent history, I was amazed to find coverage at all, never mind such good coverage at such a decent rate.

Andy

29singlespeed

Post by 29singlespeed »

I have the agent I am quoting through check all underwriters.. they all use the same companies.

Right now I am thinking due to my overall low time ~500hrs and only 20hrs TD it might make most sense for me to get an low cost TD and fly the wheels off of it for 200hrs or so and then look at moving up. With having to finance a plane paying for the loan and $225 or so a month in insurance cuts into the flying.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

I strongly encourage you to try a few different agents, perhaps including the one I am using now. I don't get anything from this, but the way, I'm just trying to be helpful. I had the same agent for years, and they also claim to check everybody. After my accident last year, they first told me that getting new coverage would be no problem, but when it came time to do it, they were not able to find anyone who would cover me. I thought I was going to have to go without for a few years, but a friend told me about this other agent (Cannon), who ended up getting me a similar policy to what I had previously, for the same price as before my accident.

That said, your idea of starting with a less expensive plane to build hours makes a lot of sense in many ways, regardless.

Andy

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Generally, even with some TW time the Maule is going to cost you a little more until you get 100-200hrs in type or high tail wheel time. I think this is related to the high accident (mostly ground loop / prop strike) rates.
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Try Chartis. I've used them for the last 2 years and have been pleased with the coverage and premium for my MX-7-180 with a hull value of $85K. I don't know what the premium would be for low time in make/model but it's around $1550 for me with about 1300 hours in make/model. If I remember correctly, the premium breakpoints are 250, 500 and 1000 hours but it depends on the insurer. Before Chartis I had Avemco. Great company but very expensive no matter how many hours you have in make/model. My premium was around $2200 with 900 hours.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

29singlespeed

Post by 29singlespeed »

I just got some great competitive quotes back after the initial 'tire kicker' quote. $1600 for 60k hull value.

Now the real question is as a low time TD pilot -- but a bunch of other training, complex, multi etc time -- is an M5-220c going to bite me? I know they all bite and I have alot of respect for the foot/rudder skills.

Say a M5-220c versus a Stinson 165hp.

vaughans

Post by vaughans »

Have had both a Stinson & a M4 220C, and as long as you don't fall asleep while landing and keep the little wheel behind you you will be fine! Be aware of the winds and work your way up to crosswind landings and try to stay on grass when you can as it's much more foregiving! The Stinson is a pussycat for a taildragger but if things start to go bad with the landing in the Maule it's really nice to know that the application of throttle with the 220 and you are back flying and can come around for another try, just don't let anybody tell you to roll in all the elevator trim landing as it can get really busy with the yoke forward pressure while trying to milk the flaps off & roll the trim forward in a go around situation. Use just enough trim to setup your approach profile & hand fly the Final! Great airplanes and I am currently flying my 2nd M-4 220C and I find it to be the best bang for the buck and a very capable airplane that will do most anything you need it to do!

Vaughans

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

:shock:
Last edited by MauleWacko on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomD
100+ Posts

M5-220

Post by TomD »

The useful on that M5-220 should be great! Do the gross uplift, assuming it is available on the 220, and you will have a real hauler on your hands.

I don't see why the uplift would not be available since it is structural not power plant related.

TD

29singlespeed

Post by 29singlespeed »

MauleWacko wrote:Hey Vaughans 37 posts in six years man this is like good old times. :D
29singlespeed any tailwheel will bite. As Vaughans said stay awake, shit happens real fast if you are not paying attention. I also had a 220 Franklin and loved the power and the engine itself. Have you flown that m-5-220? :shock:
Yup, I only have PA-18 time.

What are you seeing in the 220 frank for fuel burn/cruise/etc? No, I have not flown it yet. Need to get to El Paso or meet somewhere.