Flying the MX7-160

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
starcom

Flying the MX7-160

Post by starcom »

How is everybody?

Been awhile since I’ve posted!

So I decided to break it up into 2-long posts. One pertaining to flying and one to maintenance. Hopefully you guys will find this entertaining, potentially stupid for some, an eye opener for a new potential Maule owner.

I’ve had a lot of fun flying the MX7-160 with the family and doing a lot of solo exploring.

We’ve taken the bird island hopping to various islands here in Michigan. The wife and kids love Drummond Island. It is an absolutely gorgeous island in the summer and fall when the colors set in.

The Maule has been a very reliable bird and very predictable performer. Almost to the point of being scary. It seems it doesn’t matter what the load is or the temperature is. Seems to always climb 800-900 ft p/min uses 1200-1500 loaded regardless of temperature. Keep in mind I operate at a 1000’ elevation. I’m sure higher elevation opes will widen the envelope.

The airplane is a riot flying solo. Takeoffs usually 500-600 ft. Still climbs 800-900 ft. I love sneaking out solo with my coffee, turn off the radios and explore grass strips. The Maule loves grass strips.

I’ve had the airplane now for a year and have logged 150-hrs. Have done countless landings with it. Have wore out a tailwheel already.The landings are the most exciting part of flying the Maule. I like to practice landings on pavement since it is more difficult and I get instant feedback. Landing on grass is easy and you can be sloppy and get away with it.

The Maule has very steep descent profile if you want to make it to the runway with power off. It still is a weird sight picture to get use to. At times flying the DC-9 I forget I’m in the DC-9 and I’m coming in with a Maule sight picture. The FO starts squirming in his seat reminding me we look a little high. Oops!

I have provided lots of entertainment for the controllers in the tower. Taught myself touch and go’s something Ray Maule didn’t promote. I can see why at times. Get a crosswind and look down at the trim and the next thing you know you are headed for the weeds. Have done this a few times! A shot of power or a go-around has saved me many times!

The airplane seems very sensitive to any kind of wind, especially flying solo and light. Honestly I can’t remember if the Cessnas or Pipers were as sensitive. I haven’t flown any of those in 12-years and have forgotten.

I’m so used to coming in with the DC-9 in wide open areas you don’t get the effects of the trees and a breeze. Flying the Maule into small airports with narrow runways and close tree lines and a breeze, the Maule starts dancing. No sleeping at the controls especially the rudder pedals.

My personal limit for a crosswind is 10-12kts. I know some of you find it entertaining and can deal with a lot more. Learned full flaps and a crosswind at the upper limit can make things really exciting! That wind can really grab hold of the wing with flaps hanging out. Airplane does much better when I come in clean an confronted with a crosswind above 10kts.

The wide tail really makes the airplane very susceptible to any kind of wind. Have taxied in some strong winds and it really gets interesting. The airplane doesn’t want to turn. Not a good feeling! This should be my first warning about flying that day!

I have become very sensitive to any kind of wind. I nearly took out my family last summer. It was a hot 95 degree summer day. Winds were blowing hard. A direct crosswind of 20kts. Not gusting, but a steady 20kts at exactly 90 degree angle.

My first clue, airplane didn’t want to turn when I tried to taxi. I am at gross weight four people onboard. I’m thinking I’ll takeoff clean and we should be good. Got to the runway which is 75 ft wide. Line up with the center line as usual and away I go. Aileron full into the wind and tail comes up, wing buried into the wind and we are on one main, nose tracking straight and the airplane starts skipping sideways across the runway. The nose the whole time is tracking straight.

We had about 3 ft left before we were off the runway. We barely got airborne. The airplane was right on the verge of stalling and still blowing sideways wing low and off the side of the runway. Ground effect I believe kept us alive. I have never been so close to crashing in 35-years of flying!

I’m sure you guys with the 235 don’t have the same issue. A few hundred feet versus 1500 ft, 1500 ft seems like an eternity in my Maule when she is dancing at gross weight. I feel like a tap dancer:)

Looking back I could’ve started on the upwind side of the runway anticipating the drift and held the nose down longer to rotate at a higher speed for better control. At the time I didn’t think the wind would have such a profound effect on the huge tail! Now I know.

I can only 3-point land my Maule. I haven’t figured out how to do a wheelie with it. Ray really discouraged me from doing wheelies especially when confronted with a crosswind.

When I fly the approach at 1.3 Vso the airplane is naturally in a 3-point attitude and when I try to push it over things really get exciting. I would really appreciate if you guys could give me some tips on wheelies.

I would appreciate any tips on crosswind landings. The wide tail is a wind magnet and will weathervane in a heartbeat! I know it is controversial topic, but I agree with Ray. A 2-point I believe is the best way to get the Maule down. You got the tailwheel pinned, you have tailwheel steering, rudder control to a degree with the throttle as a backup to increase airflow. Worst case scenario, a go-around. I’ve had to do them with flaps 40 because things have gotten so ugly didn’t have time to pull a notch up.

All in all, I love the airplane. Very reliable and can take a punishment. I’m surprised she hasn’t turned around and slapped me silly! I just get frustrated when it gets windy out and I can’t fly. I definitely won’t take the family out on a cross country when strong winds are forecasted. Really gets frustrating watching all the nose draggers land and my Maule parked due to the winds. This to me is the downfall of a taildragger.

I’m sure you guys with lots of tailwheel time find this entertaining, but for me it is a barrier. My hats off to you Maule drivers with over a thousand hours. I know you guys are sharp and have an awareness most pilots don’t have or can comprehend without living it!

I can say owning the Maule has made me very aware of certain aspects of flying and has helped me to fly the DC-9 better! Now if I could keep the two straight;)

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

Starcom,

Welcome. Sounds like you're having a blast and learning a lot as well. We have all been there. Regarding crosswinds. I will avoid talking absolute numbers because of the variables in pilot, airplane and runway surface. I would suggest starting off with a low wind limit for a while, say 10knot max crosswind component. Then slowly start working your way up to 15 and keep it light until your comfortable. Practice on grass with xwind until you feel confident driving it on to pavement. Regarding the takeoff with the family. Try to avoid flying a mission with them that you havent' done already. Pretty precious cargo there. Practice heavy, in wind, in heat, know what you can do before trying it with them. It sounded like popping in a notch of flaps right at flying speed could have gotten you airborne there. Maybe you did but I didn't see that in the story. Cheat if you can, use a diagonal t.o. roll, use taxiways at uncontrolled airports, whatever. Hope this helps and have fun.

Mike W.

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Thanks for the fun report. :P

All I have to add is that my Maule at least, with 180 HP, does not like no-flap takeoffs. It works fine, and is smooth, but does use up more runway.

If I was heavy in the heat I'd be sure to use flaps 24. :shock:
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

160_Pilot

Good stuff!

Post by 160_Pilot »

Good post, starcom. This forum is at its best when we share experiences that others can learn from. In that spirit, I'll offer some of my thoughts.

I got a BFR + a tailwheel transition -- after not having flown in years -- in 3.9 hours, then I was off on my own. On the plus side, I have some skills and I demonstrated (to a true master pilot and master instructor) some good judgment. I also had, for better or worse (more on that later), a very cautious attitude about when and under what conditions I'd go fly.

I also bought a MX7-160, and I believe that was a great decision. No, it's not as awesome as a 200+ HP airplane, but it's a good fit for me. I fly with at most me and my fiancee, so 160HP is great, and I believe in the important light-flies-right rule. (Funny how only 95HP qualifies for light-flies-right with brand-X taildraggers!) So much so that I'd only fly with 4-up if I was sure, SURE the weight and balance was good.

The very best thing you're doing is flying so much. Whether we have little or lots of dual time, I think we gain the most important experience out on our own. Some would assert it's because it's only then we have 100% accountability for mistakes and bad decisions, but maybe they're right! So I'll render a hand salute for getting out there and learning the airplane so well. As soon as I get beyond a maintenance issue, I'll get out more and get back to doing the same.

In the last year-plus, I think I've been too selective in flying in only the best weather, especially in only the friendliest wind conditions. At this point, I think I've limited my learning opportunities and flight experience unnecessarily. An indicator lately has been when I finally do end up on final with funky winds, I think "Yes!!! Finally a chance to really exercise the old crosswind technique!"

On the other hand, maybe we old pilots had a chance to grow old because we weren't too bold. Who knows? There seems to be no easy answer.

Grass strips: you dang skippy a Maule loves grass strips! :) I need to find more of 'em around here. My 8.50s don't have me wishing for bigger tires, so I'm all set.

I got a healthy introduction to wheel takeoffs and landings when I got a pre-buy check-out in my airplane. I then decided I'd postpone doing any maneuver the airplane really doesn't want to do until I'm beyond the 250-hour mark in taildraggers. The airplane seems to concur with that decision. Also, as my taildragger-transition instructor said, "Directional control is a GOOD thing. Take advantage of it!" Fair enough.

Finally, when I'm not in Chinook world, I work for the phone company and daydream about being back in Chinook world. So I don't have a DC-9 to refresh stick-and-rudder skills. It's all good, because I enjoy providing the internet hook-up for those who haven't had it. But after a time, one begins to recognize what a real battle it is to maintain a reasonable level of proficiency. Decisions in dealing with low flight hours seem to be just as important as nasty weather and such.

Hey, like I said, I'll be back out there soon, and I expect lots of flying this summer. So it really is all good.

Thanks again for sharing!
Larry

'94 MX7-160

piperboy84
100+ Posts

Post by piperboy84 »

Well done Starcom,

I am pretty much at the same point, got the plane about 18 months ago and have done 120 hours of "getting to know" my new best friend. Its really funny reading about your experiences, it was like reading my own flight log for the last year and a half except for the family trip and strong xwinds, i have not plucked up the courage for that yet. Got recent training on wheeler landings but have not yet tried it on my own plane. I took off yesterday and forgot to move the flaps from "no flaps" to 24 deg take off setting which was quite a shocker as my home field is a short grass strip.

I noticed you said that taking off in a strong xwind you should have started the TO roll on the upwind side of the strip, can i ask why you would do that, i would do the exact opposite and try and reduce my xwind angle.

Anyway good luck and safe flying
Mx-7-180a N3110J

yzpilot

Post by yzpilot »

Regarding wheel landings, read this if you haven't already.

http://www.young-river.com/c180/wheel.html

I teach pretty much this technique in my M5 except that I use about 75 MPH for beginners. Works like a charm. I sometimes refer to it as "autoland."

The only thing I see people have problems with is not following the technique. Sometimes people want to pull the throttle to idle too soon, or not close it at touchdown. Transitioning nose wheel pilots can subconsciously add a little back pressure after touch down. That will screw it up. But other than that, it's a pretty bullet proof way to land a plane.

160_Pilot

Post by 160_Pilot »

yzpilot:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

:idea:
Larry

'94 MX7-160

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I don't agree that wheel landings are the preferred method in a Maule. You risk nosing over if you apply brakes too hard during a wheel landing to shorten the ground roll. In a 3-pointer, you can apply light braking before you touch down to significantly reduce your ground roll. If I have a short LZ, I always use a 3-pointer and pre-touchdown braking. I use wheel landings for better visibility over the nose and saving wear on the tailwheel. I've done crosswinds in both wheel and 3-point landings and neither one seems better than the other if you manage your final approach airspeed well.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

I agree with Andy whole heartedly... The slowest touchdown speed is usually the best and that requires 3pt to get the AOA. If you have 31" or 35" bushwheels on, you can slow that wheel landing speed down considerably and the wheely allows better visibility over nose, but I still much prefer the 3pt and if your xwind technique is good, the 3pt works just as well or better for me. This is an old argument, somewhat similiar to throttle control altitude or airspeed, and if you talk to a navy pilot you get one answer, air force guys will give you another... :shock: As for YZPilot technique, yes that works well, but what do you do when you've only got 300' total usable landing area, you don't have distance to wait for aircraft to settle onto ground? Another misstatement is that you have more braking power? Well, I have no problem at all bringing tail up as high as you'd like after 3pt touchdown on dirt / gravel? If I applied that kind of braking action in a wheelie, I'd end up on the nose with a prop strike. In Xwind conditions, you're still going to reach the point in a wheelie that elev and rudder control become ineffective, tail will drop, and now you're at same speed, position as the 3pt.. right after touchdown? Again this is an argument that there is no right answer for, and as an instructor, I would recommend that you use whatever technique works best for you personally!
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

starcom

Post by starcom »

Thanks Mt. Doc for your input:)

I always try to use flaps. It definitely shortens the roll and adds a safety buffer.

I have discovered when it's windy flaps exaggerate the effects of the wind in my MX7-160. When I have a clean wing it makes a big difference, less resistance, less for the wind to grab.

The clean wing does have its price, longer TO roll and LA roll, but it makes a big difference the way my maule behaves with the wind especially gusty winds.

My AFM suggests clean wing anything over 10 kts and gusty conditions. I just try to follow the book.

I do try on occasion in windy conditions to land with flaps 24. Jury still out on that one looking for more coffee:)

starcom

Post by starcom »

MikeW thanks for the input:)

I do practice the things you mention.

Those are very good points you bring up!

I am ultra conservative when it comes to the family. If I haven't flown the Maule for a couple weeks. Nobody in the Maule except for my coffee and me! I will spend min 3-hrs doing touch and go's in varying conditions.

I'm glad the tailwheel can't talk and has chains on it :D

starcom

Post by starcom »

160_Pilot:

Great Post!

Nothing wrong with being conservative! I believe it is the best approach and the safest to flying.

Nothing wrong with picking good conditions to fly. Passengers hate being tossed around due to thermals and winds. You want your passengers to enjoy the beauty of flight not fear it. My wife hates rough rides.

I always plan the X-C early morning and leave early evening looking for the smoothest ride possible. Winds die down along with thermals. This is when my wife and kids really love flying.

During the day and various conditions is when I go and explore and practice, practice! I always try to leave with full tanks, this gives me the security knowing I can do go-arounds for a long time or find a new place to land.

There is no shame doing go-arounds. It shows good judgement! Egos destroy planes and lives!

I wouldn't take the Maule and fly hard IFR! You should have the skills to deal with it safely. If you got trapped in it, your planning was bad! I don't go looking for it! I see enough of it with the DC-9. One minute I'm taking off in a blizzard, strong winds on a icy runway, the next I'm looking at a cell with tops over 50k spitting lightning bolts every which way. Then I'm shooting an approach to minimums picking up moderate icing all the way down with 100-pax sitting behind me. When I land I'm scratching my head wondering why or what sane person would be doing this!

After the trip is done, I think about how the Maule would've survived under these conditions and I come to the conclusion, " I'll leave the Tanis heater plugged in and wait for a nice sunny day:)"

Mother nature can be a beautiful thing to witness and experience or your worst nightmare!

It's always safer to be conservative, but when the time is right, nothing wrong with taking a calculated chance as long as you have a backup plan!

You have nothing to prove except to yourself!

P.S. If you have done what I think you've done with the Chinook, you have my respect and Thank You!

starcom

Post by starcom »

piperboy84:

Thank you for the reply!

Forgetting flaps will happen whether on TO or LA. I have done it on LA more than once. Have yet to do it on TO. The checklist saves me on that one.

If by chance I do forget, I know it will cost me an additional 400-500ft in my 160. I don't go into anything less than 1500ft because of TO performance. I can get the bird down easy in 400-500ft, but never get her out with any fuel, weight and temperature. I'm sure the folks with the 235 are laughing, but I would need JATO assist :lol:

I am fortunate in the last 8-days I got to fly the bird 7-days. Started to explore the wheelie LA in depth. I have discovered if I come in at a steeper approach angle with speed in check it is easy to do a wheelie. In my normal 1.3 Vso approach the nose is naturally in 3-point attitude. If I come in a little steeper the nose is lower and it is easy to bring the nose to level for the wheelie position. Just don't wait to push forward like me. Spectators were thinking sobriety testing is in order. :lol: Lots of go-arounds after a few skips, I won't setup for a 3-point after all the abuse on the tailwheel I have caused! The last thing I want to do is drop her in from 5ft onto cement.

I won't consider a wheelie on soft or a grass strip. Risk is to high for me! A Q-tip prop is expensive and the mandatory open heart exploratory surgery on the Lycoming is not cheap after a strike! I have yet to find a nice smooth grass strip. I only have 7 x 6 tires which in the wheelie position, the prop has about the same clearance as a nosedragger.

I'm sure the folks with bigger tires have a larger comfort zone, but I will always come in 3-point on anything which I am unsure of. I avoid any dirt strips. I don't like making gravel out rocks or punching holes in the fabric giving the appearance of termite infestation.

Regarding the question upwind side of the runway vs. downwind side with a strong x-wind. When I am up on the mains on one wheel, nose tracking straight and the wind starts skipping her across the runway, I have some room before I am off the runway. My 160 takes 1500ft + loaded and hot. This equates to a lot of time for the wind to have its way.

I can't see it being beneficial starting on the downwind side on a 25ft wide runway or thereabouts. On a 200ft wide runway I could see some benefit, but being a first hand witness of skipping across the runway I will always take more room to the downwind side as a cushion.

Have fun!
Last edited by starcom on Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Starcom, you can get the prop re pitched relative to your engine by a prop shop and though giving up 5 or 6mph, the takeoff distance and climb will improve a lot.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

BudG
100+ Posts

Flying the MX

Post by BudG »

Hey Starcom

Your X wind experience is not unaccompanied. I have just (within 15hrs) gotten my Maule back after an upgrade model change.

Went from an M5 to MX7-235 with the short wings . Went from the droop tips to the square tips. Short flaps to OMG (oh my God) flaps and larger rudder.

My first few landings were in a direct head wind and I thought "gee this is great, shorter landings with all that aluminum out there" Then the Mr. Hyde showed himself. I had a great crosswind day with a little LLWS stuck in there for good measure. Scared the holy **** outta me arse. I lined up just fine. Got on my old approach pattern. Turned onto final with a little extra speed 3-5kts. Did my bumpity bump with the windshear and got down to rounding out. The old M5 would just settle in (90" flaps) and droop tips. The airspeed started to bleed out and then the Xwind and stall speed caught up with me. Man I was dancing all over the runway. Did a goround took flaps out and got her down.

Since then I've had more success but still I get into that zone just 1.3 and 3-5' above the runway and it starts to waffle. Add a little power and drive it on. Quiok with getting rid of the flaps. Use the less flap technique to good but longer landing with it just holding off the pavement. Man, with the bigger flaps and short wing 30'11" on final with all that flap hanging out there if I chop the power "aint no glidn' charlie"

Another difference between the M5 and ShtWng MX is that when I don't have flaps in and power down on downwind she doesn't want to slow down.
I love a good challenge The wife is a little skeptical about those kindof challenges. Had to do the a first goround with her. She gave me the "look" on the next downwind. Good Post guys.

CAVU2U
Bud

PS. great article on wheel landings ! The only addition I would have is I never have to wait for anything in my Maule. hahahahaha it happens now.