Scott 3200A Bolt / Alaskan Bushwheel Spring

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

gulf200

Scott 3200A Bolt / Alaskan Bushwheel Spring

Post by gulf200 »

I am going to replace my old tailspring with the Alaskan Bushwheel Maule Spring. I would also like to get an Eye Bolt from them.

Does anyone know what size bolt to get for the Scott 3200A?

The last time I had the tailwheel off I seem to remember there being a spacer in the tailwheel so it took a smaller bolt than the Maule tailwheel did. If so, can that spacer be pressed out to use a larger bolt. I could just take it apart again but I am hoping someone has the answer to make things easier.

Anyone have experience with this?

Here is a picture of the bolt that is in there now. Looks like a 7/16.

noe flightrisk

Post by noe flightrisk »

It's a 7/16" bolt on mine. Check out their ABI-0716-721 Eye Bolt, which makes it easier and cleaner to tie down the tail. Call and talk with Wup; he can answer all your questions.

gulf200

Post by gulf200 »

noe flightrisk wrote:It's a 7/16" bolt on mine. Check out their ABI-0716-721 Eye Bolt, which makes it easier and cleaner to tie down the tail. Call and talk with Wup; he can answer all your questions.
Thanks!

I tried calling up there today, but nobody was around. I will try calling them again Monday.

That's the one I want, but if it does have a spacer that can be taken out to fit a bigger bolt I would like to do that. It seems like I saw a spacer last time I took it off...but that was last year.

Henry L. Heaberlin
100+ Posts

Ring bolt...

Post by Henry L. Heaberlin »

If you'll look close at your picture you will see the spacer in place on either side of the Maule tail wheel spring. I believe the spacer is there to compensate for the spring being narrower than the spring intended for the Scott. ABW's spring is the right width for the Scott. The controlling size for the bolt is the hole in the Scott casting. I did this same project myself and it works great. Call WUP and he will fill you in... Take care

gulf200

Re: Ring bolt...

Post by gulf200 »

Henry L. Heaberlin wrote: The controlling size for the bolt is the hole in the Scott casting.
That is where I seem to remember there being a spacer, in the bolt hole on the Scott. If I remember right the hole on there was bigger, but someone put a spacer in for a smaller bolt. ???

I do like the fact that the ABW spring will get rid of the other spacer you are talking about. It seems to have some play there.

Flybrian1950
100+ Posts

ABW 3224 and eye bolt

Post by Flybrian1950 »

I just purchased a new to me ABW 3224 (HD Scott 3200) from Alpine Guy and got the eyebolt kit and spacer kit from Wup. I mounted it on my existing Maule M6, 1 1/2" tailspring.

The spacer and the sleeve for the eye bolt were needed, and came packaged together. The middle tail spring had a slot opening that the sleeve appeared to keep centered. It looked like it would move in the mounting when landing however?? If it does move, would this wear things a bit?

The new quick-connect couplers for the springs and chains to the rudder worked slick.

The right parts from ABW made the installation a breeze. I ordered on friday afternoon and they were in my driveway Monday morning.

Thanks Bill, Wup, and the Crew at ABW,
(and Please say Hi to Doreen over at the Mt. Joseph Market)
(they have the Best Homemade Summer Sausage on the Planet)
SN 8020C, The first M6-180 land plane.

gulf200

Post by gulf200 »

I called ABW and we got the 1/2 inch eyebolt. There was a bushing in the tailwheel that came out easily. Everything worked great and the eyebolt is really nice to have.

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

got a picture?
Iceman

gulf200

Post by gulf200 »

iceman wrote:got a picture?
My brother put the bolt in while I was gone. He sent me this picture. I did complain to him that it is crooked. I guess he tried to put it strait up and down first but the grease zerk was in the way. Sorry, not picture of it apart.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Odd... Mine fit just fine with the fitting turned to the side and the eye vertical.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

Sorry guys I was of at a weddin' The 1/2" bolt can be a little tight on the zirk but the 7/16" will go just fine. The Maule has a 1/2" hole in the spring as well as the tail wheel bracket so you can use either one.