Franklin 220 rebuild/parts/info/rec

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Tracey

Franklin 220 rebuild/parts/info/rec

Post by Tracey »

Hello,
I'm new to maule ownership and recently purchased a M4 220 project. The engine ran but has 1487 hours (its removed). I would like to discuss options for rebuild, obtaining parts, costs, recomendations, anything to help make an informed decision. Should I think about a 235? 180? Like everyone else I want to keep initial costs down, but need to think about future parts availability.
Thank You,
Tracey
72' M-4 220

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The cost of engine type change is prohibitive, exhaust, fuel system, guages, control cable lengths, engine mount, cowling, prop system, pumps etc etc. Best to buy the aircraft you want. A full aircraft refurbish is about 850 man hours if you know your way around.
Franklin info. can be found from Susan Prall www.franklinparts.com and Greg Lucas (overhauler) cglucas@cox.net and there are others.
Jeremy
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Strata Rocketeer

Post by Strata Rocketeer »

I sent an email to a fellow who may be able to give you some guidance. He also has an M-4 project, but I haven't talked to him in awhile so I don't know the current status of it.

Hopefully he will chime in here in a day or two.

I bought a somewhat rough M-4-220 a few years ago and put a ton of sweat equity into it. I've PM'd you with my phone number. Give me a call if you'd like to talk about it.

Doug
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Strata Rocketeer

Tracey and I have consecutive serial/tail numbers...cool!
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Tracey

Post by Tracey »

Thank You all. I will be away from my computer for a week if any one would like to ad there two cents I would still like to hear from you?

P.S. I had my private check ride today and passed! :D
72' M-4 220

Strata Rocketeer

Tracey wrote:P.S. I had my private check ride today and passed! :D
Congratulations, you now have a license to learn!