HD Gear Fairings

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
Andy Young
100+ Posts

HD Gear Fairings

Post by Andy Young »

In case anyone was wondering, the stock gear leg fairings can be installed on the ABI heavy-duty gear legs, after some modification. I just did it on mine. It took me a while to figure out how I wanted to do it, so the first one took several hours. Once I had done that one, the second one took only an hour or so. I know I may be the only one interested in this, so I haven't bothered with photos and details. I can supply those if desired.

Andy

51598Rob
100+ Posts

Post by 51598Rob »

Did you see significant speed change?
Let Freedom Prevail

JLB

Post by JLB »

I'm always interested in someone's Maule fabrication, and would be curious to see your solution. :arrow: Go ahead and post some photos. :arrow:

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

51598Rob wrote:Did you see significant speed change?
I didn't fly it enough with the fairings off to judge. I'll post some photos soon.

Andy

Christine
Site Admin

Re: HD Gear Fairings

Post by Christine »

Yes, pictures please. I like to so this to mine as well
Andy Young wrote:In case anyone was wondering, the stock gear leg fairings can be installed on the ABI heavy-duty gear legs, after some modification. I just did it on mine. It took me a while to figure out how I wanted to do it, so the first one took several hours. Once I had done that one, the second one took only an hour or so. I know I may be the only one interested in this, so I haven't bothered with photos and details. I can supply those if desired.

Andy
Christine
06WN '88 MX7-180 MaulePilots.org Founder
ck "at" maulepilots "dot" org

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Here are the photos. The modifications involve cutting the bottom shorter to clear the gussets, and making accomodation for the step. For the step, I cut a rectangular hole back a bit from where the step actually sits, then cut slots forward from there. That makes it easy to drop the top of the fairing over the step, while positioning the bottom above the oleo leg. The whole fairing is then stid backwards, with the step sliding into the afore-mentioned slots. Before the fairing is "clamshelled" closed, a plate is inserted from underneath to cover the hole made for the step; the front edge of this goes under the tab that remains between the slots. The plate is then secured with screws. For securing the fairing closed, I chose small bolts and nylock nuts instead of rivets, to facilitate inpsection and servicing. Note that there are two tabs on the stock gear to secure the faiting top and bottom at the back. While these do not exist on the ABW gear, it's not an issue; the larger tubes make the fairing fit much tighter, so it can't move around. It IS secured at the top crossbar with #6 bolts (same ones that are holding the small faring around the attach bolts).

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Ok, apparently I cannot figure out how to put images in a message. I read the other posts on this topic, and tried to do as instructed, but could not find the "Embed" button on Picasa, other than for a slideshow of all my images. Perhaps someone more savvy than me could follow my links above, and post them for me? Either that or whoever wants to see them can just follow the links.

Andy

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Ok, I figured it out using Photobucket (much friendlier). Here are the photos:

JLB

Post by JLB »

Nice job on figuring out the photo embedment, and I like the fit of the fairing. Appeals to my ethic of re-using things.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

yeah, I have the same ethic, though in this case, laziness played a larger role ;)

erik van veenen
100+ Posts

Heavy Gear with little brakes ?

Post by erik van veenen »

Andy Young wrote:Ok, I figured it out using Photobucket (much friendlier). Here are the photos:

Heavy duty gear with single puck brakes, is'nt that a bit under kill ?

erik van veenen
100+ Posts

Re: HD Gear Fairings

Andy Young wrote:In case anyone was wondering, the stock gear leg fairings can be installed on the ABI heavy-duty gear legs, after some modification. I just did it on mine. It took me a while to figure out how I wanted to do it, so the first one took several hours. Once I had done that one, the second one took only an hour or so. I know I may be the only one interested in this, so I haven't bothered with photos and details. I can supply those if desired.

Andy
Are these the "regular" short Legs, or the new STC extended one ??

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

These are the regular-length gear legs, not the extended. Brake upgrade, in my mind, is linked to tire size, not gear strength. The single-puck brakes are fine with the 8.50 tires. I'll upgrade them if I go to larger tires. I upgraded the gear legs because I had them available, and doing so eliminated a possible failure area.

Andy

erik van veenen
100+ Posts

Andy Young wrote:These are the regular-length gear legs, not the extended. Brake upgrade, in my mind, is linked to tire size, not gear strength. The single-puck brakes are fine with the 8.50 tires. I'll upgrade them if I go to larger tires. I upgraded the gear legs because I had them available, and doing so eliminated a possible failure area.

Andy
Nice solution & work on re-using the old Fairings. I am surprised how many Maule users leave their fairings off. The extra drag and performance degradation is much under estimated.
You have one major failure area in the gear set-up remaining: The Oleo !
Careful inspection of the 4 bolts in the upper Oleo Cylinder will show elongation in a high percentage.
A heavy pancake landing with the beefed-up gear makes that area even more critical. Here the result of a heavy landing with ABW Gear. Too much to handle for the poor old stock Oleo.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Yikes!
I've seen that hole elongation in one that I've worked on (we replaced them). Mine, fortunately, showed no elongation when I pulled them recently to replace the seals.