Battery relocation STC

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
flyboy

Battery relocation STC

Post by flyboy »

Is there a STC available enabling moving the battery to the rear of the fuselage to improve C of G & therefore lack of trim when on final?
I find the M6 I've got to conduct training on, to be very nose-heavy.
Even adding 20 gallons of water-ballast in the luggage area, made little difference!
Or do all M6 fly nose-heavy?

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Funny. I'm planning to move mine from behind the bulkhead in the baggage compartment to under the front seat or the firewall to lighten the tail! My M-4 and a lot of the M-5's have the battery located behind the cargo bulkhead. I would think a call to Maule will get you the drawings.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Just be sure you don't confuse nose heavy with lack of elevtor authority.

If you don't have the elevator gap seals put them on right away and you'll have a lot more control at low speed.

Als don't trim too far aft or you lose some authority as described in many past threads. You should still have some forward pressure on the yoke while on final.

Worth checking control deflection against the type data and making sure it is all there.

What is your empty weight and CG? If for some reason your aiplane is abnormally nose heavy, you can put a lead weight installed in the aft fuselage. My M5-235 was that way when I bought it. The IA that did the restoration had the mistaken impression that empty weight must be in the published CG range.

We didn't need the weight and took it out. 7 lbs as I recall, of lead. Doubt it would be worth shipping to SA for you.

Kirk

N949JH

Post by N949JH »

If you don't need full flaps at light weights, using reduced flaps will also give you more elevator authority when operating with a forward CG.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Get drawings from Maule and move back per drawings, logbook entry only would be required. There are disadvantages though, the longer cabling, etc will effect starting performance especially in cold WX. Someone mentioned lead weight which if installed back at TW area will take the least amount of weight on long arm and get you more bang for the buck. It will also reduce amount of cargo wt carried in aft compartment while staying in envelope. Some of the older M7's actually had a removable lead weight installed in a bracket, on longerons aft of the rear bulkhead, this may be an option too?
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

If and when I fail an alternator or starter I will replace them with the newer light weight units.

Not such a long arm to shift the CG back, but sure is preferable to adding weight.

I'm still wondering what your empty weight and CG are. My M5-235 sits empty at 1548 lbs, 11.0" and 16990.8 moment.

Kirk

akholland
100+ Posts

Post by akholland »

The m4 210c I picked up has one of these light weight batteries installed on the firewall. The tail is so light that when I let off the gas and im going slow, I lose most my ability to steer the aircraft. Rudder is ineffective without power and since there is little weight on the tailwheel, it doesnt help much. just about nosed over into the snow bank the other day. luckily I was going slow enough i didn't hurt anything. im debating moving it back under the passenger seat. I dont like how it's hard to access my mags and all my relays and vents are bunched together to tight.

TomD
100+ Posts

battery

Post by TomD »

I find the M6 I've got to conduct training on, to be very nose-heavy.
I am assuming you have a 540 in the nose.

Were M6's initially Razoback covered? If so did you happen to recover in Ceconite?

My M5 235C has the battery behind the bulkhead but after recover and the addition of a 3 Blade Mac the CG is considerably more forward than before.

TD

51598Rob
100+ Posts

Post by 51598Rob »

Tom, do you know how much weight you lost with the razor back? My M5210c with razor back, battery under seat trims neutral.
Let Freedom Prevail

TomD
100+ Posts

Weight

Post by TomD »

It was about a push since I added stainless steel stringers at the same time.

Biggest difference was replacing the Razorback on the Vert stab. which ran the CG forward. First float landing was "exciting".

I always carry a accessory box with oil, tools, first aid kit, etc at the bulkhead. When alone w/ low fuel this makes a big difference in landing.

I can look at my old W&B sheets when I get home if you are still interested.

tD

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Over the years, I have seen M5 fabric changes from Razorback to Ceconite 101A with thinner paint, or Polyfiber fabric system, giving weight changes of up to 43 lbs.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide