Transfer Pump Question

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

mauledrvr

Transfer Pump Question

Post by mauledrvr »

Hi,
Is it possible to pull the wingtip to mains fuel transfer pump bowl, with a lot of fuel in both tanks without getting soaked? Once the bowl is off will the fuel continue to drain?
Thanks, trying to avoid draining the tanks.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Very often the pump allows fuel to seep by, so it is not guaranteed that fuel won't come out.
It is not necessary to keep fuel in the aux tanks to reduce condensation as in many other aircraft.
Maule tanks do not appear to produce condensation because they are a metal tank inside the metal wing insulated by cork at the mountings. There is an air barrier around the tank so the rapid temp changes that cause condensation do not occur.
If water gets in Maule tanks, it is from bad fuel cap seals. These do crack and should be replaced if cracked or loose.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

mauledrvr

Post by mauledrvr »

Jeremy,
thanks for the chime in, some how had a full load of fuel and had the opportunity to get the annual started, you know the rest, struts, fuel pump bowsl..........I smell fuel draining tomorrow! Spot on about the condensation info.
Just curious,
How many rusted up struts have you run into or heard about through the AD compliance procedures?
Happy New Year Jeremy Thank You.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

I have not actually counted the failed struts over the years but feel it is a good idea to test them.
Corrosion can actually be hidden beneath a veneer of paint and lacelike rust.
Usually it can be seen. I have seen struts that are so obvious that I can literally poke a finger through and the pilot was still operating, hoping to die no doubt.
Refusal to see because of inconvenience, just like the extraordinary ability by so many pilots to run out of gas.
Struts can also be bent from excessive pushing etc and this develops fatigue because of aerodynamic vibration which can sometimes be felt and seen in flight.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

mauledrvr

Post by mauledrvr »

Good Information to remind all of us that some of these A.D.'s may actually save the bacon, Thanks, we're pulling the left side today after the draining of fuel.

Genedotson

Post by Genedotson »

mauledrvr wrote:Jeremy,
thanks for the chime in, some how had a full load of fuel and had the opportunity to get the annual started, you know the rest, struts, fuel pump bowsl..........I smell fuel draining tomorrow! Spot on about the condensation info.
Just curious,
How many rusted up struts have you run into or heard about through the AD compliance procedures?
Happy New Year Jeremy Thank You.

I regularly inspect my aux fuel pump sumps with fuel in the tanks. It will leak a small amount but stops very shortly. Usually just check them and reinstall. Hav one a few years ago that was starting to rust, so removed it and bead blasted it and coated with resin before installing. No problem since.

After 17 years, I have never seen even a hint of water in any tank or sump drain. Always wondered if I was missing something, but Jeremy's remark cleared that up.

Gene
Gene Dotson

1977 Maule M5-210C