2007 Maule Fly In

Discuss or announce upcoming gatherings.
Don Fitzpatrick

2007 Maule Fly In

Post by Don Fitzpatrick »

I just went on a fishing trip down the Rogue River in Oregon. The guide suggested we contact Yamsi Ranch, which offers fly flishing, etc. because he thought they had an airstrip. They don't, but they have leveled off an area that might serve as an aristrip, and they "have lots of meadows". You can check out their offerings at yamsi fly fishing on the internet.

They asked me what we pay to have a Maule Fly In, and I didn't have a clue what we pay, how many people rent cabins, or how much food we buy. Can anyone give me any help on this?

I am willing to fly down and check out their "level spot", their "meadows", and try to make an educated guess as to the difficulty for our pilots, if there is some chance of finding a new and interesting venue.

Don Fitzpatrick,
N5501Y

Gene

Post by Gene »

We don't pay a fee to have someone host our gatherings. We offer the potential host a chance to sell out their accommodations and sell lots of meals for a weekend. 2005 in Minam pilots paid a fee for accommodation (campsite, tee-pee or cabin) and the meals were included, This year at Big Creek you could camp for free and you paid for the meals individually. It is up to the host how they want to do it. The airfield needs to be a bit of a creampuff as we like to have this open to all Maule owners, no matter the skill level. The ideal location would have a body of water next to a strip so the float folks could come.

Gene Swan

flyer
100+ Posts

2007 MAULE FLY-IN

Post by flyer »

I still think that Johnson Creek is the best place for a large fly-in. It is large enough for everyone to be comfortable. It is a great base for those who want to explore other areas. For those of you that have been there, you know this is true. The clean bathrooms and hot showers make it a comfortable place for those who are just starting the backcountry experience. For those that like to camp under trees and cook their own food, it is perfect.

The Cessna 180/185 group has their fly-in there year after year. They have great turn-outs. I do not mean to equate us with the Cessna group, but they seem to know a good thing.

We went to Big Creek for the Maule fly-in. The camping conditions were not as good as we wanted, so we ended up at Johnson Creek.

Flyer
Flyer

jmtgt
100+ Posts

Post by jmtgt »

There will be new care takers at Johnson Creek this summer. I know some butted heads with the previous care takers.

J

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Roots Ranch looked good when we surveyed it 2 or 3 years ago.
Safe strip, great lodge, creek and close enough river, horses and catering capability. It used to be owned by the Flying B people but that could have changed. Just one idea.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

flyer
100+ Posts

2007 Maule Fly In

Post by flyer »

I do not know who or why they butted heads with Gene or Cody.
Gene and Cody have been there for over 10 years and have been outstanding caretakers. I have been there many times and have had nothing but good treatment from them. We will miss them.

We had a going away party for them in August when I was there last.

Flyer
Flyer

RedRocket

Post by RedRocket »

I think the Root Ranch is still owned by the same folks who own the Flying B Ranch. Here is a phone number if someone wants to get more info.... Flying Resort Ranches 208.756.6295

Also, if anyone is interested there is the Clear Lake Splash-in at Lakeport, Calif this weekend Sept 22,23,24. This is a seaplane fly-in however they usually provide a shuttle from Lampson Field, 1O2, to the lake for us land plane folk who fly in. More info avail. at 877.828.2286
www.clearlakesplashin.com or email info@clearlakesplashin.com

It is generally a small mellow gathering but a nice time. If you are in the neighborhood and looking for something to do c'mon down.

Greg & Barbara

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

I'll be at the splashin Sat, wonder how long the 31" AkBushwheels will float me.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

RedRocket

Post by RedRocket »

Jeremy, I think Greg will be there on Saturday as well. I told Ken and he might come too. Too bad I won't be able to go. Think you can land with those tires in the school yard where the amphibs park? Have fun.

Strata Rocketeer

Post by Strata Rocketeer »

Root Ranch might be a great choice, but no place for float ops. Also a bit spendy, but great hosts and good food. Accomodations are geared to hunters but comfortable. An easy strip to get in and out of, beautiful country, plentiful wildlife, and great horseback riding.

Here's some pictures of our 2004 stay there: Root Ranch 2004 (If you're on a dial-up connection this page will take awhile to load)

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

flyer
100+ Posts

2007 Maule Fly-In

Post by flyer »

I think it would be good to decide on a date for the fly-in even if we have not decided on the location. That way we can make plans for the summer.

I vote for July 13-15. That is pretty much the same weekend that the 2006 fly in was held.

I think everyone should have a vote for their preference. I still prefer Johnson Creek for many reasons.

Flyer
Flyer

donknee
100+ Posts

Arlington EAA Fly In

Post by donknee »

Flyer- I think setting a date is a good idea. The Arlington EAA Fly In is July 11-15, 2007....if that is a consideration. I know Jeremy and the AK Bushwheel folks were there last year.
1976 M5-235-C

RobBurson
100+ Posts

Post by RobBurson »

Hello everybody: I"m booked July 26-Aug 4. If possible, try to pick a spot that a new Maule guy can land without crunching it. I like campfires, cold beer, green grass; any other modern luxuries are a plus but not a must. JC fine by me. Regards....Rob
Last edited by RobBurson on Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jmtgt
100+ Posts

Post by jmtgt »

I like the weekend after Arlington.

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

8)
Last edited by MauleWacko on Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.