Maule vs. Bearhawk (plus newbie intro)

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
willisbr

Maule vs. Bearhawk (plus newbie intro)

Post by willisbr »

Hi all. This is my first post on here so allow me to introduce myself. I live in Florida at J22-Ranch (16FL). I am a gyroplane sport pilot, only rating. My neighbor has a MT7-235 Maule and has gifted the FW bug to me. My wife and daughter love to fly in our gyro and we love to travel so naturally a plane is in our future. That and I have 1500 more sq/ft of hangar space to fill. That's how it works right? :)

Anyway, I'm impressed with the Maule. I have also looked at the Bearhawk because I like this STOL stuff being a gyro guy. I like the Maule's five seat. I have a small fam of four so this would allow me to throw a friend in as well depending on usable load. My purposes are not that demanding. There aren't tha many creekbeds or mountains nearby that say "hey you need a bush plane"...but I'm from Alaska and it's kinda in my blood. I would like to know I have STOL if I need it. And when I venture outside of town for that long weekend to who knows where. I would like something I could go on a reasonable long distance CC regularly and it not be a burden. Something like Tennessee or Georgia from the Pensacola, Florida area.

Lastly, I had planned on looking at tri gear but have since been convinced tail dragging is what I want. Especially if I'm going to plant down on a beach or river bed. I plan to train in a Champ or something comparable and then get crossover Maule training. Then off to market to find me my plane.

I appreciate any comments and suggestions. As I said, I'm new to FW and Maule, period. So a moderator dumbed down reply would not be taken wrong. :). Thanks all.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Welcome to Maule world Willisbr.
Sounds like you know where your flying future is aimed at.
An MT7 or MXT7 will do all you need. A taildragger will also do it but though purchase will be lower and cruise speed slightly higher, insurance if you decide to buy it will also be higher.
Skill level should be the same for both, however I find it is not. Trigears will allow you to be pretty complacent and this breeds complacency in other phases of flight besides the critical landing.
Trigear takeoff and landings can be reactive operations and you get away with poor skills and botched landings
Taildraggers will not endure complacency and thus demand proactive operations. Skill levels must be kept finely tuned or you will end up groundlooping. Taildraggers are not difficult but just require a different flying attitude.
I am definitely not suggesting that all trigear pilots don't have the more aware attitude, just that it is mandatory in taidraggers and not in trigears.
I think on this forum you will learn more of Maules than Bearhawks. I have flown both and am still flying Maules. Over the years there are 44 varieties of Maules to choose from so as you narrow your search maybe I can help steer you to the perfect model.
Meanwhile maybe some others can enter their viewpoints of why they have a Maule.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

willisbr

Post by willisbr »

Thanks for your reply. I understand your position of taildraggers and trigears. That is how it was explained to me and that is why I have changed my mind to go with dragger. The gyroplane I fly is not rudder intensive but I would say it is as responsive. Short coupled, whatever...being such a short aircraft. So on landing, I do work the pedals while managing the rotor. I feel that if I'm going to be a FW pilot, I may as well remember that there are pedals during 100% of the flight since I do this in my gyro. Additionally, I don't think that a tri-gear can be equipped with tundra tires.

I think i will continue to look for a M7 235. I don't yet understand the difference of M7 and MX7. Also, I'm aimed for a 235 because of the stigma of "what's wrong with more HP?" So if this is accurate, and affordable, I may as well. Thanks again for your reply and I look forward to the help in making my decision.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

If you go to www.maules.com click on Specifications then on Chronology you can see the models, years built, wings, seats, engines etc all on one page.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

I would tell you it would be hard not to have a 235, there is very little difference in fuel burn from the smaller engines, if the big one is flown at the same speed, plus the 540 making only 235 hp is only making .44 hp per cu" and if it's an I/O only turning 2400 RPM max., so they will last forever, many go way beyond TBO. but the I/O isn't burning car gas, which is an option on some carburated 540's.
Insurance WILL eat you alive, before you get your heart set on anything, check insurance first.
I think you can put an 8.50" front tire, and 29" mains on a tri-gear Maule, I know you can on a C-182, and those will take you almost anywhere any sane person has a need to go.
Don't forget older Maules, once you do the insurance check, they will look better

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

At this point, the largest tyres for the trigear are 7.00x6 in nosefork and 8.50x6 on the mains. You can do that with 337 approval.
Aditionally a re-curved tailspring tailskid will protect the rudder and absorb shock for 3 point landings and a rubber hse snubber will protect the nose gear and give better shock absorption, prop clearance and better attitude on ground for better braking.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

LT4247
100+ Posts

Post by LT4247 »

I see you are over at Milton. Since you are interested in a Maule, and not far away, why not just plan a trip to visit the plant and get a look at how they are made? There are all kinds of Maules to see there, too...
J.R. Lane
GEORGIA
----------------------------
"I say all that big talk is worth doodly squat"!
- Granny Hawkins

willisbr

Post by willisbr »

I have planned a CC to the Maule factory this Monday. Weather permitting, I'll set out for a 3-4 hour flight in the gyro. Three legs or so should do it. Thanks for the replies. My neighbor took me up last night in his tri-gear for some pattern work. What a fun plane. You guys have a ball!

willisbr

Post by willisbr »

I appreciate all the responses. Is you may have saw in another post, I made the trip to Moultrie and had a great tour. I have solidified my decision on a tri-gear because of insurance. Thanks for the tire reference Jeremy.

I aim to purchase first and then get training in type and model. Fact is, not any Maule CFIs in my area. So I'm needing some additional ideas. I have heard it's common to add CFI to insurance to ease the premium of a no/low time pilot. Any recommendations? I have a guy in mind to train with. Master CFI that is local, thousands of hours and tons of ratings, various types and models. Have yet to ask if he has any Maule time. Suggestions?

bobguhr
100+ Posts

Post by bobguhr »

Jeremy could you please elaborate on the rubber hose as a snubber and will the 7.00x6 fit the existing nose fork and give satisfactory clearance from the prop and lastly what's involved in getting a 337 approval Thanks

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The snubber is about 4+ inches of radiator hose which fits around chrome strut and is held (not too tight) with 3 hose clamps.
For 7.00x6 tyre to have good clearance, the four fork mount bolts are inserted with heads down.
337 is up to the relationship your IA has with local FAA rep, either DER or FAA office.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

bobguhr
100+ Posts

Post by bobguhr »

Thanks for the reply Jeremy.

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

maules.com wrote:The snubber is about 4+ inches of radiator hose which fits around chrome strut and is held (not too tight) with 3 hose clamps.
For 7.00x6 tyre to have good clearance, the four fork mount bolts are inserted with heads down.
337 is up to the relationship your IA has with local FAA rep, either DER or FAA office.
One thing to be sure is to use the steel lock nuts not the nylock nuts for that as the nylocks will pull through.... don't ask me how I know..... :shock:

bobguhr
100+ Posts

Post by bobguhr »

I guess that could ruin your whole day. Thanks for the heads up! Steel lock nuts it is.

bobguhr
100+ Posts

Post by bobguhr »

Wup, one more thing a bit off topic.. Do you have a used maule tail spring that you would be willing to part with?