Tail Wheel Issue or Not?

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
Tomkatz
100+ Posts

Tail Wheel Issue or Not?

Post by Tomkatz »

Guy/Gals,

I had a landing yesterday, First of its kind; I was set up beautifully on final, no wind and if any straight down the runway. Just after touch down the tail had a small bounce, and according to another pilot who was watching the landing from the outside, the tailwheel kicked to the side and the tail shot off to the right. I applied right brake, but the runway was wet from rain and the aircraft departed the runway to the left :shock: . No damage to aircraft, occupants or field. I watched the run way light go between the mains, but the tail never touched it. (More proof that God loves me. (He! He!)

Has anyone ever experienced this? Left on the runway are 3 skids from the tail that look like three 18 inch squiggly snakes and a solid skid from the right main where I applied right brake. The right brake is on the out side of the tail skids. I could not brake enough to bring the tail back.

Touch down was most likely around 55 MPH. Total ground role around 400 feet. I always do power off landings and maybe I should start coming in with a Little power? :roll:

I will check out the tailwheel today and I welcome any criticism on landing technique.

Thanks in advance and please feel free to bash away or possible tailwheel maintance.

Take care all,
Tom :oops:
Tom K.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

The only thing what would make it "kick to the side" would be something loose or broken. Sounds like it is time for a close inspection! Not much back there and if there is a problem, it should be readily apparent. Glad nothing got bent or broken!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Tomkatz
100+ Posts

Post by Tomkatz »

Thanks crbnunit,

WX stopped me from pulling it apart, but I will get on it tomorrow as this is my peak flying season. I just can't understand tailwheel skids?
Tom K.

Tomkatz
100+ Posts

Post by Tomkatz »

I spoke with the gentleman who witnessed the tail wheel in action, or lack of action. He stated that the skidding tail wheel was caused by the fact that the wheel remained perpendicular to the runway until the wheel entered the grass. I don't know why but I guess I will find out tomorrow?
Tom K.

Tomkatz
100+ Posts

Post by Tomkatz »

Guys/Gals,

The number on the side of the tailwheel indicates "TW 102". It came off a 1996 MX7-180B. Does any one know where I can get an exploded diagram? I have the parts disk but I can't find this tail wheel. It has wheel bearings on the vertical shaft as well as for the wheel itself. Is this the Maule Tundra tail wheel? It looks like I had a bearing go bad.

Thanks in advance for any help one can give.

Take care,
Tom K.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Sounds like you've got a Maule TW? Wag-Aero Catalogue has an exploded veiw of parts and pieces, but don't think it's available on line, you'll need catalogue? If I were you, I'd just get rid of it and install a Scott or the ABW. Someone just listed a Scott on the forum here for $300... Cheap insurance compared to a ground loop - prop strike? I'd certainly jack up the tail and get a good thorough inspection as I've never seen one lock up as described and something would have to be seriously wrong with installation, structure, or spring?
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

Tomkatz
100+ Posts

Post by Tomkatz »

Jim,

I have taken it apart. It was a bearing failure and the vertical shaft is lightly scored. The bearings are typical wheel bearings. The nut on top was tightened excessivly, I'm not positive of this until I talk to someone with more knowledge about this type tail wheel.

The logs do not show maintance on the bearings but they will be included in every annual from hear on out. The tailwheel does not have a grease fitting (zerk).

I will keep the tailwheel until I can get my 31" ABW's. My next step is cleveland double buck brakes.

More money fixs everything, I just need to get it.
Tom K.

NZMaule

Post by NZMaule »

The Maule Maintenance Manual for Mx7180b has a diagramatic view of the SFS-P8B series tail wheel, not sure if this is the same as yours but seems to show a bearing as described (A5).

Tomkatz
100+ Posts

Post by Tomkatz »

NZMaule,

Thanks, I believe it is it. :D
Tom K.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Tom if you want to replace it, I have a good Maule TW or two laying around that I can let go for cheap, by good, I mean in perfect mechanical condition.

Tomkatz
100+ Posts

Post by Tomkatz »

A64,

I just got back in from work. I ordered the new bearings from Bryan at Maule Air. He said he will ship today. While was at it I got some new ANS bolts for the landing gear.

Thank you for the offer.. If I run into a problem I will give you a call.

Thanks again,
Tom K.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Tomk, hope you ordered NAS bolts for the landing gear, not ANS as you wrote.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Tomkatz
100+ Posts

Post by Tomkatz »

Jeremy,
Sorry for the error, I'm so used to ANS I just typed it. They are NAS.
Thanks for the back up!
Tom K.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

On your 6
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

I've gotten a couple of Maule Tw's over the years, and a Scott 3200 that came on my little Cessna, looked stupid on a 140 Cessna, so I took it off and went with the little Maule T/W with the solid tire, whatever number that is.
I keep wanting to put the Scott on the Maule, maybe paint it gold and claim it's something else :D ?