Maule checkout in CA/NV?

Finding a qualified Maule instructor and mechanic in your area. Recommendations, requests etc... Please mention graphic location
Jon

Maule checkout in CA/NV?

Post by Jon »

Hi there,
I recently purchased an M-5 235C and need to learn how to fly it. The insurance requirement is 15 hours dual, 15 hours solo, and I think only 20 landings, but I'd prefer to "train to proficiency", however long that takes.

I'm a student pilot at the moment, but will be taking my checkride in a couple of weeks. All of my training has been tailwheel, so I hopefully won't need too much work in that area, though flaps and the CS prop will be new. Unfortunately, only the chief instructor at my school has the insurance-mandated time in type (25 hours), and he's unavailable for the foreseeable future.

The plane is now parked at Dyer International (2Q9), awaiting its annual, and my preference is to do at least the initial flight training out in that general area (though I currently live in the SF Bay Area) sometime in mid-March, if possible.

So, does anyone know where and whether I might be able to find an instructor who can get me trained up?

Thanks!

--Jon

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

Come see us for a week or two.... 8)

rjb
100+ Posts

Post by rjb »

Jon,

I learned in a Citabria at WVFC. Of the 2005 class summer class of Martin Michaud, one got a 1950's 180, one got a 1990's M7-235, and I got a 2006 MX7-180C.

The 180 wound up getting rebuilt up in Petaluma, the M7-235 was outdoors at KPAO for a while and is now at KHWD, and mine is in a hangar at E16. I flew it back from Moultrie with Martin.

Martin has lots of hours in Maules. Martin will teach out of E16.

Ann Elsbach in Grass Valley has lots of hours in Maules and she checked out a friend of mine in my plane, flying with him all over the state. I don't know whether she still occasionally commutes to KPAO.

My choice would be to get it home as soon as possible and I would make the plane's home E16 because you can get a hangar and the FBO is familiar with Maules.

After I got my license, I rented for fun a Husky 1A, flaps and constant speed prop, and a Cessna 182 and a Cessna 172 for instrument instruction.

My opinion is that if you have a plane, fly it; then you can at least get some enjoyment while the money swirls down the drain. By the way, that 235 is a lot of power (which is good but very different from the Citabrias I learned in) and a Maule can come down real fast if you want.

-Dick

Jon

Post by Jon »

Hottshot wrote:Come see us for a week or two.... 8)
Now that would be quite educational and fun, especially since we're looking to move to Alaska later this year. But, other than a few days here and there, I'm mostly stuck in this area for next few months :( Maybe a little ways in the future?

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

Jon wrote:
Hottshot wrote:Come see us for a week or two.... 8)
Now that would be quite educational and fun, especially since we're looking to move to Alaska later this year. But, other than a few days here and there, I'm mostly stuck in this area for next few months :( Maybe a little ways in the future?
Heck we are just a little north of you.... :lol: not quite that far noth

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

Jon, Like Dick I also trained with Martin Michaud in my Maule M7-235C after getting my licnse in a citabria. Martin has the time required in Maules to satisfy Insurance and 1000's of hours of tailwheel.
If I had it to do over I would have got all my training in the Maule. It is all about landings not hours. Martin is based at PAO and can be reached @ 408 799-5251 or martinmichaud@yahoo.com. I am based @ HWD.
Welcome to the Club!
Bill
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

Jon

Post by Jon »

Thanks for all the info, guys! I'm thinking I'll try Martin first, since he's based right here and I'd like to get started just as soon as I have my certificate in hand (assuming, that is, I don't mess up on my checkride too badly).

I also learned (err.. am learning) in a Citabria. Fun little plane, though I sure can't wait to finally be able to fly my Maule. I'd originally planned to do all of my training in it, but couldn't get any type of insurance at first which meant I couldn't even park it at the local airports (hence it being in Dyer - I know the mechanic who lives at the end of the runway).

I'll look into E16 - I've been down there more than a few times since that's where my RHV-based school (AeroDynamic) likes to send students once it seems they won't get themselves into too much trouble. Of course, since I'll only be in the Bay Area another few months at most, it might work out best just to tie the plane down at PAO. We'll see.

Thanks!

--Jon

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

The transition from a Citabria to a Maule has a learning curve. Get some red tape to place in the center of the cowling of the left window screen as a guide.
Unlike a Citabria straight is not the center of the prop and a guide helps to make the adjustment. Line the tape to the center line. You have to land striaght.
It is best to land with some power with a 235 because of the weight up front. Somewhere between o and 15 but making adjustments.
Speed is always controversial but you can gradually get to lower speeds as you get the hang of controlling power and trim. I started with 80mph with one notch of flaps but slower will get more accuracy and consistency. 60 -70 mph.
Do not over back trim it cause's loss of elevator control use it sparingly.
There is also a great diffference in opinion on the vernier throttle some like it a lot. I have used both in the Maule and I like the friction Throttle much better than Vernier but that is a personal feel thing but since you are flying a Citabria it is another thing that will be different from what you are use to in control. Flaps are another variable but one notch is good in the beginning.
Also the left - right hand control is a change it will be completely opposite to what you do now.
It takes time and you have to do the laps in the pattern but once you get the hang of it you will love it.
Get Martin to take you to Frazier lake. The grass field is forgiving and builds confidence. Same at Columbia's grass field.

Flysafe Bill
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

rjb
100+ Posts

Post by rjb »

If your plane doesn't have elevator gap seals, get them. I would argue for getting VGs now too. If you can, put in the EZ-flap too; you will then have made your plane as easy and sweet at low speed handling as possible.

Bill mentioned the vernier throttle: I never had an issue. Bill mentioned landing speed: I finally stopped replacing tailwheel tires when I got my speed down to 65 mph on short final; carrying a spare tailwheel that you can swap in worked out very well for this slow learner.

The parking brake has caused issues; I don't know whether it is model dependent. As park of your landing checklist, you need to verify your wheels are unlocked.

Frasier Lake has been NotAm'd closed a lot since the fall; maybe, because they were reseeding and now because of rain. AirNav suggests not using Columbia's grass, Nov. to March, but when I was last there in December, a 182 was using the grass runway.

I suggest one of your first trips when you get your plane back here, is fly up to Angwin and show her off to Jeremy.

-Dick

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

If your plane doesn't have elevator gap seals, get them.
I will second that. Probably the biggest bang for the buck you can add.

Pretty simple to install yourself, but you will need a sign off.

TD

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

Yes on gap seals and VG's !
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

Jon

Post by Jon »

Thanks for the tips! My plane already has VGs, but I'm not sure about elevator gap seals. I'll check and install them during the annual if they aren't there.

Not surprised to hear that moving from sitting in the middle to sitting on the left may take some getting used to - I remember when driving in England, the hard part wasn't remembering which side of the road to be on, but rather the car's position within the lane since the driver is on the opposite side, too. I'll definitely try the tape trick. My instructor tells me that learning to use flaps, the CS prop, and a yoke vs. a stick isn't too big a deal and I should pick it up fairly quickly. We'll see, though.

I plan to spend a bunch of time at altitude, flying very slow with the aircraft in various configurations to get a feel for its behavior and attitude. Doing that in the Citabria early in my post-solo days tremendously helped my approaches and, consequently, my landings (which isn't to say they're particularly good now, just better).

The runway at Dyer is dirt, gravel, and weeds, so for my first few takeoffs and landings, I'll fortunately have a more-forgiving surface.

Thanks!

--Jon

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

Contact Martin he will help you get the aircraft to PAO.
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT