Soon to be a MAULE M7-260C Owner

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
Lifeisgood

Soon to be a MAULE M7-260C Owner

Post by Lifeisgood »

Greetings,
I'm new to your forum and soon to be an owner of a new M7-260C.
I'm still able to make a few changes to the plane if needed, so I would be thankful for any advice any of you may have.
I'm setting it up for VFR--Garmin 696 with an S-Tec 50 for long trips.
Here is a link on how it will be basically set up..

http://www.controller.com/listingsdetai ... 168586.htm

My flying will mostly be 75% Idaho backcountry and 25% trips back and fourth from Newberg, Oregon to McCall' Idaho.

I'm currently a Cessna 400 driver, so I plan on spending long hours transitioning between the two planes.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

:)

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Nice looking M7, the transition training will probably take you a few hours but will be worth it... :lol:
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

Lifeisgood

Post by Lifeisgood »

Thanks--Yes I'm excited.
I will be flying with Kasey Lindsey at Northwest Backcountry first then will be building hours with Lori MacNichol of McCall Mountain/Canyon Flying Seminars. This should get me on the right path, lot's to learn.

Bill

rjb
100+ Posts

Post by rjb »

I have an IFR MX7-180C.

I can't shed the reputation of an excess love of gadgets. I fly with 2 camcorders, a camera clicking away every 10 to 15 seconds and another camera that I will hand shoot.

I have a Spot and got my Ham license so I could get APRS tracking. I have the Xaon MRX precursor and ZRX. I'm trying to come to terms with the ZRX.

If you are flying the Cessna 400, I would think you are instrument rated.

Given all the above, and the assumption life is good enough to give you the option, I would go for the 430 WAAS rather than the 696 and upgrade the SL40 to a SL30 and get GPSS. 25% of the time is a 300 nm trip where you might enjoy options.

That I have every intention of avoiding IFR, doesn't mean I don't want the option. Can the 696 drive the CDI?

I do not like the space taken up by small PDAs much less anything IPAD size which may be a better fit for you if you insist on VFR only (certainly cheaper). I'm trying to come to terms with using my Iphone 4 to see if skyradar is attractive.

With the quality of instruction you are getting, I'd be looking at oleo to shed the weight (it's a beautiful plane and I am envious of the horses).

I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine.

-Dick

beaver

Post by beaver »

your going to love it. very similar to mine. maybe I'll run into you in idaho this summer.

goracke

Post by goracke »

I fly an mx-180a just south of corvallis. When you get comfortable I could take you to some fun grass strips. Chad
chad MX-7 180A

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Shuck the 696, I have one it's obnoxious. I have a 195, 296, 396 and 696. The 696 does nothing useful that the 396 doesn't, weighs more, has an obnoxious user interface. Actually it's the user interface that I hate, data input method varies from page to page, and Garmin's HUGE advantage over everybody else is the ease they are used, the 696 isn't.
For goodness sake, for that kind of money in an airplane, get it IFR certified.
It gives you many more options.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

For the few times you will use autopilot in a Maule, the Stec 30 takes up less panel space and is lighter. If not careful you can end up with way less than 800lb useful in that plane.
The Maule can be trimmed to fly a long time with little input, so maybe get used to the plane and fit autopilot later if you find you need it.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

BudG
100+ Posts

New 260

Post by BudG »

Welcome,

Nice to know we'll have another Maule Driver in the NW! Hope to see you in Idaho next summer. I'm out of Snohomish, Wa. We have a few good mountain strips here in the Cascades too. My favorite is Tieton at the Rimrock Reservoir west of Yakima, Wa. Spectacular. I have a 235 and when it's hot high humid and the grass is thick it's amazing the additional space I need. So, I guess my only input would be the weight issue. Especially when loaded up for camping.

CAVU2U

Bud

PS MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU AND ALL YOU OTHER MAULE MANIACS!!!

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

Lifeisgood wrote:Thanks--Yes I'm excited.
I will be flying with Kasey Lindsey at Northwest Backcountry

Bill

After you are done with Kasey Come see us and we will teach you the right way!! LOL!!! Make sure and tell him I said that

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Congrats on the New Bird!!!!

buller

Re: Soon to be a MAULE M7-260C Owner

Post by buller »

I own a M7-235 and I would agree that the Garmin 430W is a better choice. I am based in So Calif and without IFR capability you could get stuck on the ground for days at a time especially in May and June. The Pacific Northwest is not know for it's sunny days so IFR is often the only way to go. I don't know how tall you are but being of average height myself I use an Oregon Aero 2" cushion to give me better visibility with 31" Bushwheels installed. The stock Maule seat cushions on my plane are very thin and there is very little height adjustment. If I was 6'5" or taller they might be OK. As far as the auto pilot option It depends on how many loner flights you make. I don't have one and I sure would like one for some of the longer trips I have made.

Lifeisgood

Post by Lifeisgood »

Thank You for all the great responses, I’m very much looking forward to the change in flying environment.
Entirely new set of skills to learn !!!!!

Happy Holidays !!

Bill Hardt
Newberg Sportsman (2S6)

LT4247
100+ Posts

Post by LT4247 »

You will love the STec 50. Especially if you get it with the 430 or 530.

Life is good indeed!!!

Merry Christmas!
J.R. Lane
GEORGIA
----------------------------
"I say all that big talk is worth doodly squat"!
- Granny Hawkins

RobBurson
100+ Posts

Post by RobBurson »

Hi Bill, very sweet M7. You will love it. I fly a 2000 M7. I am at Troutdale. Lets do lunch when you get your M7.

Cheers...Rob Burson 503.720.1917

DonMc

Post by DonMc »

I would get the oleo gear and leave out the auto pilot to save weight and put the money in avgas or bushwheels or something useful for back country flying. As Jeremy says the plane will trim out and fly straight in smooth air. In rough air or turbulence, you will find hand flying is better than the auto pilot which is attached to the rudder only. I had an STEC 50 in my M7260 and took it out and sold it. In rough air you will find yourself picking wings up with aleron instead of rudder since the auto pilot controls the rudder. You will be fighting the rudder with aleron input due to interconnected aleron/rudder/servo tab arrangement on the Maule designed for people that don't fly co ordinated. The money you save will more than pay for your school tuition with Lori MacNichol. I went there on Jeremy's advice a few years back. The training and experience you get there will do more to save your life than any gadget you can buy.

Good luck and enjoy your Maule !!!!

DonMc
N260BD