New guy investigating a dream...

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
Kansas Slim

New guy investigating a dream...

Post by Kansas Slim »

I've searched your forum for various comparisons, so let me just tell you what I'm after. First, along the lines of introduction: I'm a retired Army aviator - a Black Hawk guy. The Hawk's a tail dragger, too! Okay. I know. The tail wheel is locked unless taxiing - or it's broken! But I digress...

I'm currently in the HEMS business and I drive 58 miles one way to work. It's not a bad drive; a 70 mph four-lane. I just thought it'd be great to fly to work. I've got a municipal airport less than ten minutes from the house and our base, my work place, is at an airport. The airfield manager here has already told me that he wouldn't charge me for parking.

I've decided that if I do this thing, I want it to be a tail dragger. I like to be unique and I guess I'm a bit nostalgic. That's why I ride a Road King and not a Gold Wing.

I'd love a Piper Cub, but I could get there faster in my Jetta. Also, I've got a family of four (two teenagers) and it'd be great to visit family in a couple different locales, one about 240 nm as the Maule flies, the other nearly 500.

So I guess I'd like to be able to carry 4 (rarely), move at about 120 kts or more and burn at an economical rate (< 10 gph reasonable?). I guess I don't really need STOL, though it'd be cool to land in my dad's pasture, and I do fly helo's.

I really like what a I read posted about folks who made purchases and received training at Maule Air. I've been looking into C-180's and Luscombes and Aeronca's and even the Swift. But I must say, my heart's been stirred when I ran across the Maule.

I know most of you will start off with "First things, first. Get your FW and a tail wheel endorsement and rent some time." Please, if you will, just humor me a little. Let me know what ya think will fit the bill. And no, I can't afford a Lear.

p.s. Also, I should probably mention that I'm 6'5" and it's mostly in the legs.
"Be quick, but don't hurry."
- John Wooden

Russnrenea

Post by Russnrenea »

I just bought a 1985 M5-180C and I am in love. I have owned many airplanes in my past and most were other brands of taildraggers. I believe I have found my dream airplane. Carries the family of four, goes 115-120 KTAS on 9-10 GPH, great short field performance, simplistic in construction which makes maintenance easier and purchase price was reasonable compared to getting a C-180.

It is a little difficult getting into the front seats, but once in I fit very nicely, 5'11" 185 lbs. With your height it may be a little tight, you need to go sit it one to find out for sure. I think the M7's have a larger cabin, but not sure, someone will surely chime in that can answer that.

Good luck, hope you find what your looking for and hopefully it is a Maule!

Russ

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

There are many threads on this forum that can help you. I'd spend some time reading them. I've owned a MX-7-180 for over 12 years but have never flown a 235hp Maule. I'm happy with my Maule, but I'd recommend a M-7-235 fuel injected model. You won't have any trouble getting off a short runway with four people but you'll have to watch the amount of fuel to make sure you don't go over 2500 lbs. The 235hp engine is about 200 lbs heavier than the O-360 that I have. Fuel burn can be managed to stay 9 - 10 gph in cruise with either airplane, although you'll obviously use more fuel on takeoff and climb with the I/O-540 engine. The M-7 has more headroom in the rear seat than the MX-7. I've had 6'5" passengers in my front seat without a problem. The skylight option gives you about 3 more inches of headroom in the front seat. There are numerous comparisons between the C-180/185 and Maules on this forum. Bottom line: the C-180/185 is an old airplane with expensive parts. You can buy a much newer Maule for a lot less money and will spend much less on parts. Insurance is expensive on Maules but not much better on a C-180/185. Talk to Lowflybye on this forum about insurance. If you decide on a Maule, talk to Jeremy at maules.com to pick a good one with the options that you need and can afford. There are many, many options. Hope that helps.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

goracke

Post by goracke »

John,
Thanks for your service to our country. I fly an mx-7 180a (fixed pitch) and have done so for year now. I love the plane and I am amazed at what it will haul. It a great short field plane that is super easy to fly and land. Before the Maule I flew a 67 c-150 texas taildragger for ten years and put over 1000 hour on it. This was a great little plane and about as cheap of flying as you are going to get. The tailwheel time I gained from this little plane was golden when it came time to get insurance for the Maule. One approach you might consider would be to look at a c-170b. These are a great old plane that would be very room for a guy of your size and would be a great start in the tailwheel world. I have a friend that flies one and they are a very forgiving plane. You could fly that for a year and gain some time to help avoid the high initial insurance cost of the Maule. I am 6'3 215lbs and I feal real comfortable in the Maule. The shoulder room is about the same as a 170 or 180 but the leg room is more restricted. In my opinion taking this approach to working your way towards the Maule may make you appreciate it more because you will have something to compare it too.
My 2 cents. Chad
chad MX-7 180A

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

I think maybe you can tell that I too once flew helicopters :lol:
Price the insurance on a Maule, then after you get over that, get yourself a C-140 or maybe a C-170 for awhile to build time in.
You do have your Commercial / Instrument rotary wing , right? Turn that into a Commercial / instrument fixed wing, and maybe you can afford Maule insurance.
Oh, and your "helicopter tailwheel time" means nothing, it won't help you at all in the airplane, I thought it would, but there is no similarity at all, which surprised me.
Not trying to burst your bubble, but you may can buy a 140 and not have to insure it, while the cost of Maule insurance is a little steep until you get some time in one.

RobBurson
100+ Posts

Post by RobBurson »

Hi John. Thank you for your service. My two cents. M7 235 you can never have to much HP. Jeremy AKMaules World Wide AKA maule.com is the best resource you will find. He is here.

Cheers...Rob

Skystrider
100+ Posts

Post by Skystrider »

Hi John,

The guy who gave me transition training in my 1980 Maule M5 180C is 6' 7" and 265 lbs. He flys a Maule partly because he fits comfortably.

I get on the average 8 gph at about 125 mph.

Two adults and two kids - no problem. Three adults - no problem. Four adults - it is a very tight fit in the rear seat.

Land where you want - priceless!

Best of luck!
1980 Maule M5-180C
Rod Hatcher

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

As a Newbie in the Maule world, i don't have much to give in this thread except this.
I am 6'5" 225lbs and my airplane choice is limited as you can imagine. Before I decided to buy a Maule, I found a local guy that had a similar model to what I was looking for, an M4 220C. Well, I can say that I was very happy with how I fit in the plane. I had just gotten done looking at an older Citabria without the adjustable seat and I literally could not fly the plane because I could not put my feet on or near the peddles. In fact, it was more comfortable than the Piper Seminole I have spent so may hrs in.

Kansas Slim

Post by Kansas Slim »

:lol: Thanks for your input so far. It sounds like insurance will be the biggest factor.

Andy - I have been making my way through quite a few of the threads here. That's what has piqued my curiousity about the Maule world and lead me to post this question. As I mentioned, short field t/o's shouldn't really be an issue for me with two municipal airports to work out of. Just playing on my dad's farm would be a hoot.

Chad - Thanks for your suggestion. One of my issues is that I hate to baby step in the equipment department. I would prefer to find the right house up front rather than buy a beater that I can't sell later when the right one comes along. I also hate to rent when those payments could be put toward the mortgage, though that might not be the best analogy when it comes to just buying some time in an airframe. I'll have to look for a local rentable 170.

AH-64 - I guess you missed my sarcasm about the whole tail wheel helicopter thing. I guess it doesn't translate well in a post. At any rate, do you think I can fit in a 140? I can't really fit in a 152. I have not seen a 140 up close, but I figured they were about the same size. By not insuring it, are you saying it's disposable? At quick scan I see a few for < $20K.

Skystrider - That's exactly the kind of info I was after. Do you think I could get in touch with your transition instructor still?

Mog - We could be brothers!

All - My name's not John. That's just a John Wooden quote in my sig line. I guess I'll have to reformat that somehow. Thanks a gain and I look forward to reading more!
- John Wooden

goracke

Post by goracke »

If the Maule feels right to you then thats the way to go. I hear you on doing it right the first time. Call around on insurance, I know the premiums can vary a lot. I'm with Regal Aviation in Hillsboro, OR. Best of luck. Chad
chad MX-7 180A

steve

New Maule owner insurance

Post by steve »

Maybe you could look for a less expensive maule. There are good buy's on mid 70 to mid 80 M5-180 and 235 hp, and you could get liabilty insurance only until you build some Maule time. My liabilty insurance for my 2002 M7-235c is only $ 605.00 for 1M coverage. I've owned two M-5 one on floats and they are a great flying plane. Steve
life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take. but by the moments that take our breath.

Kansas Slim

Re: New Maule owner insurance

Post by Kansas Slim »

steve wrote:My liabilty insurance for my 2002 M7-235c is only $ 605.00 for 1M coverage.
:o Wow, Steve. That made me make a phone call immediately! I was thinking you meant $605 for 1 month!!

Just getting off the phone my heart is beating slower as I was quoted a ball park high side figure of $2500/yr after 50 hrs of TW time.
- John Wooden

steve

Post by steve »

I'm talking liability only no hull coverage...
life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take. but by the moments that take our breath.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Talk to Lowflybye about Maule insurance. You'll find annual premiums that range from around $1700 to over $5000 depending on the hull value, your Maule time and non-commercial vs. commercial use. There are several price break points with the Maule time. Once you go over 500 hours of Maule time, I don't think you get any further breaks. You'll probably need at least 10 hours dual in a Maule before anyone will insure you. When I bought mine in 1998, Avemco only required 1 hour dual. If you're an AOPA member, you might try getting a quote from their insurance agency.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Yes, I was kind of surprised a couple of years ago I shut down my commercial ops for a summer, wanted to add my wife to build some time for her, duel with me (CFII) only, and found the Maule to be cheaper on floats then wheels!! Of course this was with Hull / Float coverage, but 1st time I'd ever seen that. If you're financing aircraft, be sure to look into the insurance cost right away as you'll need hull coverage, and if low time it's very expensive up here in Alaska anyway.
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.