Rebuilding N9234N 1993 Maule M-7 235

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
Island Flyer
100+ Posts

Rebuilding N9234N 1993 Maule M-7 235

Post by Island Flyer »

For those who are interested we have started rebuilding our 1993 Maule M-7 after some hail damage this summer. It's kind of like opening Pandora's Box
but in the end I think we will have a better than the already exceptional airplane the Maule is. The rebuild is being done by Tim Boughner in Port Orchard, Washington and is planing to take about 4-5 months. If you would like to follow along I have created a blog that will be updated as we proceed. Here is the link http://www.islandflyeradventures.com/Is ... /Blog.html
Last edited by Island Flyer on Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best regards,

Rhys

dunbarst

Post by dunbarst »

Rhys,

Thanks for the post and keeping up the blog. I plan on visiting often for ideas.

Steve

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

Very nice blog. Looking fwd to the next entry.

BudG
100+ Posts

Maule rebuild

Post by BudG »

Hi Rhys,

I fly an 81' M5 out of Harvey. It's getting a rebuild over in Yakima.
Nice web site you have too. Are you going to have to reskin your wings from the hail damage?
I too opened up a number of issues doing the takedown for rebuild, but that's a good thing. Did your insurance cover the hail damage? hence, the rebuild?
I'll be looking forward to more updates on your bird. Mine has been undergoing rebuild since the end of August so I feel your pain. hahaha

Stay intouch and we'll hookup in the spring/summer. PS there are a couple of other Maule drivers over here in Snohomish. An M4 and an M5 turbo 235.

CAVU2U
Bud

Island Flyer
100+ Posts

Post by Island Flyer »

I am happy many of you are enjoying the blog.

Hello Bud,

Sorry for not responding but I didn't have to 'notification of reply ' checked in my profile but I have changed that now so it should work. As far as insurance they are paying for the hail damage and were very reasonable about it. That will cover the fabric, paint and yes we are re-skinning parts of the tops of the wings. Everything that was .020 thickness gets replaced with .025, a little more weight but more hail resistant. The ailerons and flaps get switched to an M7-235A arrangement after hearing the comments earlier on this website. Turns out that is going to be handy because I am putting a JPI EDM700 engine analyzer with Fuel Flow. They have a STC for every model of Maule except the M7-235. So because we can turn it into an M7 235A we can meet the legal paperwork requirements. That's one thing about Tim is he crosses every t and dots every i.

Of course it's always like opening up Pandora's box and the more you dig the more you find (or want to find). Tim is doing a great job and I have had my hands, knees and elbows deep in it also. He put me on engine duty and I am learning a ton. We keep brainstorming and new things are in the works. Looks like it will have an extended baggage compartment (weight limit 10 lbs but enough for a windscreen cover or sleeping bags). Also will be welding float fittings and the bushing for the dual rear struts. A new tail light with LED strobe and the biggest change is a Garmin 430 and CDI. That is leading to a new panel and a new interior. This is the most fun you can have when you aren't flying.

I'll be over at Harvey tomorrow for an FAA weather seminar at Snohomish Flying Service, perhaps you will be there. I look forward to meeting you and your Maule driver buddies and we can do some flyin'.
Best regards,

Rhys

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Hopefully the wing skins are the only thing you have to replace. Repalcing ribs is not that hard but kind of a pain. Be a good time to throw in some wiring for future strobes while you have the skins off...
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

BudG
100+ Posts

Maule rebuild

Post by BudG »

Hey Rhys,

Sorry I missed you. I didn't check my email.
Sounds like you're going full bore on your baby. I've been out at the hangar sanding my cowling and striping the doors etc. You're going to have some really neat upgrades. Interesting to note on the change from 235 to a 235A. The thicker wings skins is an interesting idea too.

We're waiting today to see if the Snoqualmie river overflows and floods Harvey today. Hopefully we'll avoid the chaos. There are huge earthworms looking for dry land in my hangar...but all they get is dried out. The good news for me is that with the plane is in Yakima...no worries.

CAVU2U

Bud

TomD
100+ Posts

River

Post by TomD »

Hey Bud!

Looks like we missed the flooding bullet this time:

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrogra ... ,1,1,1,1,1

BudG
100+ Posts

flooding

Post by BudG »

:D halleluyah and Amen brother :P

CAVU2U

Bud

Island Flyer
100+ Posts

Post by Island Flyer »

In the latest blog update (Dec 23) is a cool baggage compartment extension concept. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to All!
http://web.me.com/rhysspoor/Site_2/Blog ... _Flow.html
Best regards,

Rhys

BudG
100+ Posts

rebuild

Post by BudG »

Cool photos. Neat idea for a baggage extension. Looks like fishin poles would be perfect for that one. :D
CAVU2U

Bud

Island Flyer
100+ Posts

Post by Island Flyer »

Extended baggage compartment is finished at a net change of plus 4 pounds, new stainless steel valve covers and new boot cowls.
http://web.me.com/rhysspoor/Site_2/Blog ... ether.html
Best regards,

Rhys

Island Flyer
100+ Posts

Post by Island Flyer »

There are two new entries on the blog. The engine is reassembled short of the vacuum pump and the mags, and the paint scheme has been designed by my son, McKenzie. Next week the fabric starts to go on. The FAA inspector wanted a modification to the baggage door to stiffen it a bit, but other than that good to go. http://web.me.com/rhysspoor/Site_2/Blog/Blog.html
Best regards,

Rhys

Island Flyer
100+ Posts

Post by Island Flyer »

It's coming along. The wing reassemblies have started. We installed check valves on the fuel vent lines to keep fuel from siphoning overboard. But with the Maule drawings, you can still cross feed from the main to the aux tank, which if you are parked across a slope you could load up your aux tank on one side but not the other. Might cause a W/B problem. So we added a second check valve. You can see it on the latest entry on the blog toward the end. http://web.me.com/rhysspoor/Site_2/Blog ... Wings.html
Best regards,

Rhys

Island Flyer
100+ Posts

Post by Island Flyer »

I have been thinking about the fuel vent line check valves. Anybody see a problem on having full mains, fuel selector on one side and a hot day? Where would expansion go?
Best regards,

Rhys