Alaska pilots, let's hear ya!

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
MikeW
100+ Posts

Alaska pilots, let's hear ya!

Post by MikeW »

Alaska guys,

Let's sock it to 'em on this. If they think we were going to sit idly by, they have another thing coming.

Mike W.

Owners of over 1000 aircraft in the Anchorage area are facing a 100 percent increase in a registration tax that the Municipality of Anchorage want to increase with an omnibus amendment to the Anchorage Assembly.

Aircraft owners in Anchorage are once again under attack, this time by a proposed registration tax increase by the Municipality of Anchorage.

"We as aircraft owners are under siege once again with a proposed 100 percent tax increase that is discriminatory against the aviation community," said Dick Lochner, secretary of the Birchwood Airport Association, to the 100-member association Wednesday night.

Currently all aircraft owners with an address within the municipality are charged $75 dollars per engine, per aircraft.

The new tax on single engine aircraft, gliders, and hot air balloons will go up to $150 each. Aircraft with two or more engines pay $125 now, but if the amendment passes a fee of $225 per aircraft, commercial or non-commercial, per year will be levied.

The proposed Omnibus amendment (A.O. 2010-81, Section 14, 12.08.060) will be introduced to the Anchorage Assembly on Oct. 26.

"Every aircraft owner on this field should storm city hall," said Lochner. "And I urge you all to write letters, send faxes and e-mails to Mayor Dan Sullivan protesting this egregious increase. And remind him that he is not living up to what he has printed right under his picture on the muni website."

Lochner is referring to the slogan under the mayor's image on the municipal website: "Mayor Dan Sullivan will continue his focus on improving public safety, holding the line on taxes and ensuring that Anchorage is a great city to live, work and play."

"Hells bells, this is not holding the line on taxes," said Lochner. "And why aren't they taxing four wheelers, snow machines, personal watercraft and boats with the tax? It's just downright discriminatory."

Birchwood Airport has over 400 aircraft hangared and tied down. It is owned and operated by the State of Alaska Department of Transportation.

Dick Lochner, secretary of the Birchwood Airport Association, gives examples of how to comment on the upcoming amendment to increase an aircraft registration fee 100 percent to members of the association at a membership meeting on Oct. 20 in Chugiak."We get virtually no services from the municipality at this airport other than a bill in the mail," said Rod Elg. "This is just a legal form of robbery."

Merrill Field has 877 aircraft, Lake Hood has 1000, Birchwood has 400 and there are hundreds more airplanes on lakes in garages, warehouses and backyards about to get some new attention.

According to Dan Moore, treasurer for the Municipality of Anchorage, the amendments were suggested after a budget review by the Office of Management and Budget that suggested different revenue generators.

The reason for targeting aircraft explains Moore, is that they are easier to track.

"Due to Federal Aviation Administration regulations that require every aircraft to have a valid active address and a home base airport, airplane registration with the Municipality is possible," Moore said." The other types of personal property are far too difficult to track and it takes too much manpower and time to verify their details and ownership."

One of the other main reasons that OMB suggested the increase in what the MOA is calling a registration fee is because it has not been raised since 1995 when a flat fee per aircraft was charged. Previously aircraft were taxed based on an appraised value of the aircraft and charged much more, according to Moore.

Aircraft owners at the meeting see this as yet another attack by government on general aviation.

"First it's the TSA, then the price of fuel, then the EPA avgas issue now it's a frickin' tax on our airplanes whether they are airworthy or not," said Lars Gleitsmann, the government affairs liaison for Anchorage chapter of the Experimental Aircraft Association.

Every N-numbered aircraft registered to an Anchorage resident, whether flying or not, will be forced to pay the registration tax, according to Moore.

Another pilot owner who wished not to be identified lamented the tax as well.

"I have a 1945 Dodge truck that is worth more than my 1948 Aeronca Sedan and it's not getting taxed anywhere close to this."

But aircraft owners will get a chance to voice their opinion about the increased registration fee next month.

"The amendments will be introduced on Oct.26 and there will be public testimony on the omnibus proposals starting Nov. 9," said Moore. "There will be several opportunities for public input in Nov. before this is passed."

Lochner and his group have vowed to contact every aircraft owner in the municipality and ask them to flood the assembly chambers during public testimony on the amendments.

"We will storm city hall if we have to make our point, we can stop this but we will have to keep on the Mayor," added Wes Erb, president of the Birchwood Airport Association.

Rob Stapleton can be reached at robstapleton(at)alaska.net This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Jeezch- Wonder how far behind FAI is? Ridiculous!!! Where does it end... Not long ago, I had a California address, it took me several letters to them explaining that yes I owned an airplane (and on top of it all, it was an unairworthy project airplane), but no way was it ever even in Calif, but they still wanted their property tax. Finally after over a year long battle, they dropped it, but what a royal pain... I suspect we're going to see more and more of this sort of BS, especially now with the NEW FAA registration requirements...
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

Just from an economics standpoint, this is not sound policy. Whatever you tax, you will reduce that number. That's why they jacked taxes on cigarettes, to reduce usage. Less airplanes in the air, less fuel sold, less planes to work on etc.... They simply have it backwards. I took the time today contact my assembly rep for my district and left a phone message and sent an email to him as well. Much more to come

Mike W.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I'm in. No time today but I'll get started tomorrow.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Done. :evil:
The grape hanging on the lowest vine comes to mind.........
Live it like its your last day.

BatMaule
100+ Posts

Post by BatMaule »

I've also weighed in with the Mayor's office and with Bill Starr - the Anchorage Assembly Budget and Finance Chair. This isn't going to break the bank but the principal is just so wrong. We get nothing from the MOA for this fee (tax). It's just a donation and I've got plenty of other worthy causes to donate to!
1983 M6-235
The "BatMaule"

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

Guys, here is some more info on AOPA and the Airmen's Association regarding this issue. Let's not assume someone else will take care of this. This is OUR deal, let's get active.

Mike

The Alaska Airmen's Association and AOPA are working together to fight the proposed new tax increase on aircraft registration within the Municipality of Anchorage. The proposed Ordinance No. AO 2010-81 that doubles the current aircraft registration tax will be introduced at the Regular Anchorage Assembly Meeting tomorrow along with the proposed budget for 2011. The public hearing will be on November 9th, where the general public will have an opportunity to voice their concerns.

We encourage all pilots to participate at the hearing on November 9th and after a more thorough review of the proposed ordinance and the proposed budget, the Alaska Airmen's Association and AOPA will provide an analysis and discussion points for the hearing.

Please look for a future e-mail from the Alaska Airmen's Association and us on this issue.

-AOPA Government Affairs

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

Alaska guys,

Tonight at 5:00 is the assembly meeting that will be open for public comment regarding the proposed doubling of our aircraft registration tax. I would encourage all who can to attend. Here are some talking points put out by AOPA, Alaska Air Carriers Association and Alaska Airmen's.

Mike W.

Airports located within the municipality with the exception of Merrill field are either operated by the State of Alaska or are privately owned. All users pay fees to support the airports, which receive no direct municipal funding. Owners of hangars or other property on these airports pay property tax to the municipality.

Merrill Field is the only airport operated by the Municipality of Anchorage and its users already pay for the operation of the airport through a combination of lease and tie down fees, fuel tax and other airport fees. All businesses located on all airports within the Municipality of Anchorage pay property taxes on hangars and other property located on the airport, which goes to the MOA general fund.

Aircraft owners receive no direct benefits from the aircraft registration tax. Police and fire are a community wide service and have no specific benefit to businesses or aircraft owners based within the municipality.

A 100% increase in the aircraft registration tax, on top of the property tax, and user fees charged to use airports could cause aircraft owners to move their aircraft outside the municipality, resulting in a negative impact on businesses, fuel sales and maintenance facilities, leading to a net loss of revenue to the municipality.

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Mike,
I cannot make the meeting tonight in person. Is there any way a guy could right his comments to the Assembly? Do you have the contact info available?
We can unleash the Poison Pen on all those !@#$% in favor of this.
Thanks for being so dilligent on this!

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I have all the contact info at home. I'll post it up later this evening unless someone beats me to it.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

Here is some contact info for the assembly members

Section 1 – Patrick Flynn at flynnpp@muni.org or (907) 278-8462
Section 2 – Bill Starr at starrwe@muni.org or (907) 350-5481
Debbie Ossiander at ossiander@gci.net or (907) 688-2308

Section 3 – Ernie Hall at HallE@muni.org or (907) 562-2088
Harriet Drummond at harrietdrummond@alaska.com or (907) 279-7763

Section 4 – Dick Traini at TrainiD@muni.org or (907) 561-4526
Elvi Gray-Jackson at gray-jacksone@muni.org or (907) 343-4118

Section 5 – Paul Honeman at HonemanPS@muni.org or (907) 947-0500
Mike Gutierrez at gutierrezm@muni.org or (907) 382-5972

Section 6 – Chris Birch at chrisbirch@gci.net or (907) 346-3265
Jennifer Johnston at johnstonj@muni.org or (907) 346-1087

Also, all those that cannot comment at the hearing can forward their comments to GruensteinBE@muni.org.

Mike

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

For those of you who got involved on this, thanks. This issue will probably come up again but I think we got the Mayor's attention. Well done!!

Mike W.

Mayor withdraws proposal to raise airplane registration fees

Anchorage Daily News

Published: November 9th, 2010 06:33 PM
Last Modified: November 9th, 2010 06:33 PM

Mayor Dan Sullivan has withdrawn a proposal to increase annual registration fees for small aircraft, saying his administration needs to work on the issue further.

The plan was to double municipal fees for registering planes, from $75 to $150 for single-engine craft and from $125 to $250 for twin-engine planes.

That increase would have raised $210,000 more for the 2011 city budget.

But Sullivan said at tonight's Assembly meeting that city treasurer Dan Moore had raised an issue that needs to be addressed before the fees are raised. The problem is that the city applies different taxes and fees to different types of property, such as boats and aircraft, Sullivan said.

The mayor said he wants to meet with aircraft owners and others to re-do the proposal.

Read more: http://www.adn.com/2010/11/09/1545671/m ... z14uHmhnKO

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Here is contact for the Mayor if you want to keep the pressure on.

Contact the mayor’s office, MAYOR@muni.org,907-343-7100 and your Assembly Representative to express your concerns with the proposed tax increase.

BatMaule
100+ Posts

Post by BatMaule »

Whoo-hoo. Good to see our voices heard and a little fiscal "reason" exercised here.
1983 M6-235
The "BatMaule"

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Not being subjected to living within the MOA, I have little say in much that matters. However, sitting a distance, I have been pleased to see that many of the decisions Mayor Sullivan has been making (I'm not talking about the Assembly!) are well grounded, common sense and well thought out. I have sent him a note thanking and supporting his decision.
I've found a pat on the back can be a pretty infrequent event for a person in that position.